autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Winter Prep Question for you all

Hey everyone, hope you're all remaining safe with the current events going on. I was just wondering what everyone in the colder-climates are doing for winter prep? I usually apply a sealant and apply some spray sealant every few washes when it warms up here in New Jersey. My question is, if I applied a sealant and wax back in July, how should I go about reapplying a new coat of both before winter hits? Do I just wash with a strip-wash, do an iron-decon, and then re-apply? I think I will also spray down the car with a version of a tar remover as well. I clayed the car back in the summer, and with COVID, I haven't been driving much since I returned home from college. Any suggestions? Current setup is griots garage fast finishing sealant topped with 845. I also have adam's paint sealant but haven't gotten the desired results on other's cars when I have used it. TIA

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Winter Prep Question for you all

I live in North Dakota where it's a fridgid wasteland 6 months out of the year. LOL. My winter prep is a strip wash to remove any old sealant, clay to remove any contaminants giving less adhesion points to road salt etc. , and use an AIO polish/cleaner/wax like Blackfire One Step or Dr. Beasley's Z1. I will also wash the windows inside and out, and apply another coat of Pinnacle Glass Coat to the windows which helps to make removing any icing that may occur a bit easier. Then throughout winter I will do a regular maintenance rinseless wash since our garage is heated. That gets me through winter, and then I do it again in spring.
    Owner/Operator Auto Massage LLC - www.automassagellc.com
    Custom painter and commissioned artist - www.spikedairstudio.com

3. Thanks Craig Encinitas, kolop thanked for this post
    Likes Craig Encinitas, kolop liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My home is in Northern California but my (regular) job had me in Northern Nevada and Utah for the last several years. I just did my winter prep on my DD 2 weeks ago. I striped and clayed the vehicle and used Blackfire One Step with Collinite 845 on top. Been using this combo past several winter and I am quite happy with it. I didnt coat my DD since it is also my test vehicle for products... lol

Post Thanks / Like

If you don’t have a polisher and don’t feel your paint needs claying i would stripwash, then use an Iron decon (Iron X type product). If you feel you have tar or other sticky remnants then yes use a tar remover.

Probably over kill but i’d give and ipa mix or CP eraser type product wipe. Then seal away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I have similar thoughts, but it depends on the tools you have available and the weather.

If you have DA polisher and the weather (or a garage) will cooperate, I'd give the car a quick, light polish and then put down a nice layer of 845 and follow up with your spray wax if you like. If that isn't possible, then I'd simply get it as clean as possible and lay down a coat of 845 and spray product.

Going into winter, my focus is only on protection. The car will be dirty most of the time from the weather (because it's too cold to wash, or from the rain/snow), so I don't get too wrapped up in making it look its best. That is what the Spring detail is for.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey Mike View Post
    I live in North Dakota where it's a fridgid wasteland 6 months out of the year. LOL. My winter prep is a strip wash to remove any old sealant, clay to remove any contaminants giving less adhesion points to road salt etc. , and use an AIO polish/cleaner/wax like Blackfire One Step or Dr. Beasley's Z1. I will also wash the windows inside and out, and apply another coat of Pinnacle Glass Coat to the windows which helps to make removing any icing that may occur a bit easier. Then throughout winter I will do a regular maintenance rinseless wash since our garage is heated. That gets me through winter, and then I do it again in spring.
    Mike, thanks for your reply. What strip wash do you recommend? I have some chemical guys, but I don't think it does that well. I clayed it a few months ago and haven't driven much, do you think I'll need to clay again? Griot's garage glass sealant will def be reapplied

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by psnt1ol View Post
    My home is in Northern California but my (regular) job had me in Northern Nevada and Utah for the last several years. I just did my winter prep on my DD 2 weeks ago. I striped and clayed the vehicle and used Blackfire One Step with Collinite 845 on top. Been using this combo past several winter and I am quite happy with it. I didnt coat my DD since it is also my test vehicle for products... lol
    Thanks for the input! I have some Griot's Boss Finishing Sealant. I have my Griot's Garage DA with boss backing plate and appropriate pads. Just not sure if it's necessary to polish before winter if I'll end up polishing in the Spring, opinion?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    If you don’t have a polisher and don’t feel your paint needs claying i would stripwash, then use an Iron decon (Iron X type product). If you feel you have tar or other sticky remnants then yes use a tar remover.

Probably over kill but i’d give and ipa mix or CP eraser type product wipe. Then seal away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That is what I am thinking, however, if I use a recommended Iron decon spray and any possible tar remover, will that take care of the contaminants (if there are any)? I clayed in the Summer before my laydown of LSPs. I do have a polisher, but I am trying not to polish if necessary considering I've done two full paint corrections on the suburban, so I'm not quite sure how much clear I have left.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I have similar thoughts, but it depends on the tools you have available and the weather.

If you have DA polisher and the weather (or a garage) will cooperate, I'd give the car a quick, light polish and then put down a nice layer of 845 and follow up with your spray wax if you like. If that isn't possible, then I'd simply get it as clean as possible and lay down a coat of 845 and spray product.

Going into winter, my focus is only on protection. The car will be dirty most of the time from the weather (because it's too cold to wash, or from the rain/snow), so I don't get too wrapped up in making it look its best. That is what the Spring detail is for.
    Desertnate, thanks for hitting some good points. Do you think I'll need to clay if I did a clay not even 6 mos ago? Yes, protection is my agenda too esp in NE region. I don't want to clay and then have to polish. However, I could always clay and save the polishing for Spring...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chevyguy95 View Post
    Desertnate, thanks for hitting some good points. Do you think I'll need to clay if I did a clay not even 6 mos ago? Yes, protection is my agenda too esp in NE region. I don't want to clay and then have to polish. However, I could always clay and save the polishing for Spring...
    If you just clayed six months ago and the car hasn't seen much road time, then I'd say "no" to claying it again. My experience is a well protected car which has been kept clear really only needs to be clayed annually. Also, I only clay when I'm going to polish since there is always a opportunity for the clay to create some marring. After winter is done, you'll want/need to clay. Save that for the Spring.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast