autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: CarPro Eraser Residue!?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWithASubie View Post
    Update.... Bought some Essence and TRC Eagle Edgeless MF and I don't have the marring anymore after wiping post polish! I ordered a few to start and now that I know they work I bought some more to do the whole car this weekend.

Only thing i'm fighting now is wiping the Essence, a little tricky. I think I am maybe over working or using too little product and when I go to wipe, most comes off easily but I get some residue that's a real pain to get off and I end up using some Eraser to get it off, but the use of eraser seems to cause my marring issue still, even with the new TRC MF's.

If I do a very small section, use a few dots of Essence each time and then wipe quickly I can get a nice shiny, rich clear coat free of marring.
    That is good news. Just go over the area with a quick zip with no pressure on your final pass. It can sometimes get a bit hard to wipe off on the edges of your work space size.

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    Just for my slowness are you all using essence and then wiping. Then applying the coating? No Eraser?

If waiting till next day is their anything else to wipe down with that would be better than eraser?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Essence will still have residual oils. Applying it buy machine will heat up the polish and leave less of them compared to using essence by hand which is why it is required to do a prep wipe if used by hand. A minimum of 4 hours has been stated by the CarPro reps in the facebook group before going straight to coating with or without an eraser wipe.

To answer your question on why to let it sit overnight. Per Corey, the silica will cure overnight leaving the surface with almost zero residual oils. Coming back with a prep wipe is essentially removing whatever is left and also any superficial dust left on the surface.

Eraser will not remove the silica left behind especially if it is left to cure longer.

2. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    That is good news. Just go over the area with a quick zip with no pressure on your final pass. It can sometimes get a bit hard to wipe off on the edges of your work space size.

Essence will still have residual oils. Applying it buy machine will heat up the polish and leave less of them compared to using essence by hand which is why it is required to do a prep wipe if used by hand. A minimum of 4 hours has been stated by the CarPro reps in the facebook group before going straight to coating with or without an eraser wipe.

To answer your question on why to let it sit overnight. Per Corey, the silica will cure overnight leaving the surface with almost zero residual oils. Coming back with a prep wipe is essentially removing whatever is left and also any superficial dust left on the surface.

Eraser will not remove the silica left behind especially if it is left to cure longer.
    Is that what you personally do? Polish with essence, remove and let cure over night? Do you then use Eraser before coating?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    Is that what you personally do? Polish with essence, remove and let cure over night? Do you then use Eraser before coating?

Yes to both

5. Thanks Coatingsarecrack thanked for this post
    Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

So I did a a few test spots the other night before ordering more MF to be sure I got ones that wouldn't mar. Stupidly I left them sitting in the garage after wiping up the Essence residue. Should I consider these ruined for paint use or can I still wash them with my Blackfire MF wash and continue to use them this weekend as I do the whole car?

Post Thanks / Like

CarPro Eraser Residue!?

^
    They could be okay.
    But I’m giving you advice based off what I’d do. Most of it by feel and smell.

On a side note, I was reading the labels on my primer polishes today:

When I’ve waited till the next morning after using Essence, a light IPA spray into a MF was all I would do. Or use an air chuck to blow off any dust. I’d think that no matter the polish, there’s some
    leftover foreign matter on the surface that could hinder proper coating application.

Post Thanks / Like

So I did a a few test spots the other night before ordering more MF to be sure I got ones that wouldn't mar. Stupidly I left them sitting in the garage after wiping up the Essence residue. Should I consider these ruined for paint use or can I still wash them with my Blackfire MF wash and continue to use them this weekend as I do the whole car?
    Wash them like normal.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

My frustration is through the roof! After polishing the whole car (again) with Essence and a Blue CCS foam pad, I let it sit for 24hrs then did a very light wipe with Eraser. I sprayed the Eraser on the towel, wiped lightly then wiped over with a dry towel. The original marring has reappeared. With TRC eagle edgeless MF I can press as hard as I want on the paint and wipe, no issue. As soon as I introduce Eraser I get the marring. I've tested directional wiping and the marring is consistent with that.

So, one more time I will polish the car with Essence, no eraser wipe down at all, then apply the dang CQuartz and drive my car again.

I really hope this is a rare experience because I really enjoyed the whole process but this issue has really turned me off it.

Post Thanks / Like

My frustration is through the roof! After polishing the whole car (again) with Essence and a Blue CCS foam pad, I let it sit for 24hrs then did a very light wipe with Eraser. I sprayed the Eraser on the towel, wiped lightly then wiped over with a dry towel. The original marring has reappeared. With TRC eagle edgeless MF I can press as hard as I want on the paint and wipe, no issue. As soon as I introduce Eraser I get the marring. I've tested directional wiping and the marring is consistent with that.

So, one more time I will polish the car with Essence, no eraser wipe down at all, then apply the dang CQuartz and drive my car again.

I really hope this is a rare experience because I really enjoyed the whole process but this issue has really turned me off it.
    Have you tried just an ipa wipe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like

At this point I agree you might as well proceed straight to the coating after Essence and without using Eraser. Let’s hope the towel you use to level the coating doesn’t do the same. That would suck.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

Don’t be surprised if ti see marring sooner rather than later once your coated from the drying process.

Quote Originally Posted by Rand0m View Post
    Have you tried just an ipa wipe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Will be worse. Has less lubrication that a panel wipe.

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    At this point I agree you might as well proceed straight to the coating after Essence and without using Eraser. Let’s hope the towel you use to level the coating doesn’t do the same. That would suck.
    Agreed. Soft paint is a pain to deal with.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast