autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

White Corvette...

White Corvette...

Hi gang

I have an Arctic White Chevrolet Corvette convertible arriving soon.It is my wife’s, any suggestions to make the white look good?

I usually polish and wax, should I ceramic coat it?

Any input is great, I know white is tough to really pop like colors

Post Thanks / Like

Re: White Corvette...

Polish properly. Mote important.... maintain carefully. I know everyone will give a bunch of answers here for coatings and the newer technology..... but if it’s a garage queen, try Pinnacle signature seriess II wax.
    Jim

3. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hard to say what degree of work you'll have on hand once getting the vehicle? I would assume one wouldn't need to run the gamut with clays, iron removers or aggressive polishing, but also, I reckon one can never say never?

Over the years how members here have touched upon the dreaded dealer "Swirl Option".

If choosing a conventional product, your choice of course, there's tons of nice waxes and sealants to be had here. And many are Autogeek's House Brands. Any paste or liquid wax from the Pinnacle-Wolfgang Line will work wonderfully.

Collinite #845 is another that looks great on white paint. Very nice glow and depth.

If desiring a "harder" looking more "glassy" dripping wet shine-gloss, I might suggest Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0. It's a really great sealant, I've always praised this product, and it is also a very easy one to use I'll add. Comes off so nicely.

Post Thanks / Like

I've only worked on a couple white cars, but from that experience I like to go with the most reflective product possible to make the white really shine. On darker colors, or sometimes even silver, you can get some interesting differences in appearance depending on the LSP, but I don't think so with white. Going with something more glassy and reflective will bring out all of the style creases and edges on the Vette (I'm assuming a C8) which might not highlight quite as well with other LSP's.

All that said, I'd look at a coating like those offered by CQuartz or Wolfgang's SiO2 Paint Sealant if you want to go the sealant route.

Even if the car is brand new, I'd still probably give it a light polishing with a mild pad and a finishing polish to amp up the shine and remove any dealer/factory swirls.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Mike Phillips

If you want to keep it simple, fast and easy. Use a product that will last a long time and make the paint on the Corvette look glassy and feel slippery then use what I show here,

Coated under 15 minutes using PBL Surface Coating

Here's what to get,

Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating $80.00

Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Surface Coating - $130.00

Cobra Forrest Green Edgeless Microfiber Polishing Cloths - 12 Pack - $20.00

That's $230.00 for both coatings and more than enough towels to take care of a brand new car including washing it using the multiple towel technique I share here.

When you get the Corvette home, wash the car and then do the Baggie Test. If it needs to be clayed, clay it.

If you have a favorite fine cut polish or a primer polish, machine or hand apply this product to perfectly clean and prepare the paint for the coating.

Next use a simple foam applicator pad to apply the PBL Paint Coating. This is your basecoat. You can stop after this and the paint will look glassy and feel slippery.

Then, using a section of a microfiber towel, (cut a normal 16" by 16" microfiber towel into quarters), apply the PBL Surface Coating over the PBL Paint Coating. This will amp-up the slickness and it's really fast and easy to do.

Done.

Moving forward, simply wash gently and carefully. If it were me? After washing and drying, re-apply the PBL Paint coating to the top surfaces of the Corvette, basically the horizontal panels and the glass. This takes only a few minutes and maintains that super high gloss, super slippery feel to the paint and makes future washing and drying fast. It also maintains the self-cleaning effect if your car is outside in a hard rain storm.

The above is about as fast and easy as you can make coating your car and you'll love the slick, slippery feel left by both coatings.

Then simply cut up one of the Forrest Green Microfiber Towels into quarter sections.

Post Thanks / Like

After the decontamination (Iron-X type
    product; Claying); and washing/drying
    steps are completed; I’ll inspect the paint
    to determine how much, if any, “correction”
    is needed—via polishing step(s).

•Once the “correction polishing” (if any) is
    done, I’ll then use Finish Kare 303 Foam
    Pad Glaze
    for enhancement; and follow
    that up with a layer of Finish Kare BWM 101
    (nee: Finish Kare 1000P Hi-Temp Paste Wax
    ).

•I maintain this gloriously glowing Finish
    Kare combo with Meguiar’s D114.
    -Note: It’s been discontinued. If you don’t
    have any, McKee’s 37 N-914 is the next best
    alternative, IMO.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

I really like Collinite 845 on white. I did my MIL's white Audi with the Finish Kare 1000P mentioned above, it looked great too.
    2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
    1999 Camaro Z28

Post Thanks / Like

I truly believe CarPro’s Essence gives white paint that pop that it usually doesn’t have.
    Both of these cars were finished with Essence and coated with UK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Likes Desertnate, mattmann liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the replies, especially Mike P. It feels like the teacher picked you to answer when he replies. Mike probably does not remember, but you used my black 1996 Jaguar about 14 years ago at one of your classes in Irvine. I have learned so much from Mike, and all the info here. Keep you updated on the wife’s new vette (yes C8)

Post Thanks / Like

Really depends on your end goal.

White is not going to have the most pop. It needs the right light for it to look good. In bright sun it will give that bright blinding look.

I coated my 02 SS and it gets driven here and there. Recently polished with Carpro Reflect and wearing a triple stack of Cquartz. Base layer of Cquartz UK 3.0, followed by a layer of Cquartz TiO2 and finally topped of with Gliss. Are they all needed? Absolutely not. But the end result is great. I was primarily experimenting with all three coatings. Extremely easy maintenance.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast