autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Jescar - Bead It - leaving car in state where it attracts dust and dirt?

Applied bead it about a couple weeks ago. Not that happy with it. Initially it looked amazing but after the initial application I noticed I missed some spots on wiping it off on glass. It I guess got pretty baked in and took some scrubbing to get it off the glass. This is annoying. Taking it off the body panels were y so bad.

But this was was my first time really using a fancy spray sealant. I read directions so I may have gone a little heavy on initial application but that’s how they said to do it.

Anyway. After my maintenance wash yesterday I went out for a night 20min drive and came home to find a strange huge amount of dust stuck to the paint almost like an attraction/static cling effect. I didn’t drive through first and it shouldn’t be this dirty after 2 hours of a wash!

Pretty frustrated and curious if anyone has seen this? Is this a spray sealant thing?

Haven't been happy lately wtih my result.....

Not liking this....

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jescar - Bead It - leaving car in state where it attracts dust and dirt?

I had a similar experience with Beadmaker, I think it was applied too heavily or not buffed off enough. There's likely an additive that makes the surface of the paint slick and if you leave too heavy of a layer, dust sticks to the layer of BM, or in your case Bead It. Once I reapplied BM after another wash, and was diligent in buffing, the "static cling" was not much of an issue anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chinee View Post
    I had a similar experience with Beadmaker, I think it was applied too heavily or not buffed off enough. There's likely an additive that makes the surface of the paint slick and if you leave too heavy of a layer, dust sticks to the layer of BM, or in your case Bead It. Once I reapplied BM after another wash, and was diligent in buffing, the "static cling" was not much of an issue anymore.
    I know with Bead Maker, a little goes a looooooong way.

The first time I tried it, I did a little test spot on my roof. Turns out that the initial spray I applied did the entire roof, and even then looked "heavy". So I used another plush MF to really buff it off.

After that learning experience, I went to work on the rest of the truck. When I was done, the product level in the bottle had only gone down about 1/4".... if that.

It wasn't like any other "topper" product I had ever used.

Could this be the reason a lot of guys have the dust attraction issue?

Just a guess on my part.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

4. Likes Matador liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, I feel partly responsible since I suggested to use Bead-It. I like the application of it and haven’t had any noticeably bad experiences with dust attraction.

I assume your paint stayed pretty dust free when you had only Powerlock on there?

It could just be the simple act of wiping and buffing that causes static cling early on, but this generally should go away after the initial wash or rain. So I’m not sure what to say as far as the dust attraction you’re getting. Generally an advantage of SiO2 spray sealants is that they don’t attract large amounts of dust, although no LSP rejects dust entirely. This based on my experiences anyways.

Chinee brings up a good point about buffing it all off to avoid the residue that may attract things.

Post Thanks / Like

Static Electricity, via the scientific principle
    of friction, is the leading cause of dust being
    attracted to vehicles’ surfaces—including their
    paint systems.

•Static Electricity can be created in many
    and various ways. Here are a couple:
    -The simple act of driving: imagine the amount
    of friction created as the vehicle slices through
    the contaminates (both natural/man-made) that
    exist in the Earth’s atmosphere—especially during
    low humidity conditions.
    -Using “cloths” (including microfiber towels)
    to apply/remove car-care products.
    The mere
    act of rubbing them on/across vehicles’ surfaces is
    a sure-fire way for friction to rear its ugly head.

•Perhaps this dust attraction will be lessened when
    the paint Chemists change vehicles’ paint-systems’
    “charge” at the atomic level.
    -(I’m not going to hold my breath until they do so.)

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chinee View Post
    Yea--I think my first try out I went TOO Heavy.

I followed instructions....but think this stuff is super concentrated in retrospect.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    I know with Bead Maker, a little goes a looooooong way.

The first time I tried it, I did a little test spot on my roof. Turns out that the initial spray I applied did the entire roof, and even then looked "heavy". So I used another plush MF to really buff it off.

After that learning experience, I went to work on the rest of the truck. When I was done, the product level in the bottle had only gone down about 1/4".... if that.

It wasn't like any other "topper" product I had ever used.

Could this be the reason a lot of guys have the dust attraction issue?

Just a guess on my part.
    I think you're right. This stuff goes a looooong way. Hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Sorry, I feel partly responsible since I suggested to use Bead-It. I like the application of it and haven’t had any noticeably bad experiences with dust attraction.

I assume your paint stayed pretty dust free when you had only Powerlock on there?

It could just be the simple act of wiping and buffing that causes static cling early on, but this generally should go away after the initial wash or rain. So I’m not sure what to say as far as the dust attraction you’re getting. Generally an advantage of SiO2 spray sealants is that they don’t attract large amounts of dust, although no LSP rejects dust entirely. This based on my experiences anyways.

Chinee brings up a good point about buffing it all off to avoid the residue that may attract things.
    Don't be! This is probably user error.

I thought I buffed it alll out, but It turns out I did leave some spots I didn't see initially.

Next time for sure...will use a LOT less.

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    Static Electricity, via the scientific principle
    of friction, is the leading cause of dust being
    attracted to vehicles’ surfaces—including their
    paint systems.

•Static Electricity can be created in many
    and various ways. Here are a couple:
    -The simple act of driving: imagine the amount
    of friction created as the vehicle slices through
    the contaminates (both natural/man-made) that
    exist in the Earth’s atmosphere—especially during
    low humidity conditions.
    -Using “cloths” (including microfiber towels)
    to apply/remove car-care products.
    The mere
    act of rubbing them on/across vehicles’ surfaces is
    a sure-fire way for friction to rear its ugly head.

•Perhaps this dust attraction will be lessened when
    the paint Chemists change vehicles’ paint-systems’
    “charge” at the atomic level.
    -(I’m not going to hold my breath until they do so.)

Bob
    Fascinating. Thanks, Bob!

8. Likes acuRAS82 liked this post