autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Help! What am I doing wrong?

Hello all!

I’m new to the detailing world this year and just do it for fun on my own cars. Lately I’m noticing yellow stains on my wheels. It’s on my expedition and my wife’s pilot. So it’s something that I’m causing. I wash the wheels with super clean 5:1. I rinse, spray on the cleaner, agitate the wheels with a soft brush and use a stiffer brush for the tires and then rinse off.
    .Help! What am I doing wrong?-f24dc70e-0285-413e-a0cd-23fc714e0bbf-jpg

So, what am I doing wrong and how do I fix it?

Thank you for any help!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help! What am I doing wrong?

Sounds right. Are you sure this is a result of your process? Maybe something you and your wife are driving up against or you are rubbing something against both vehicles. I recently noticed green transfer on my wifes white fusion and then again on the steps of my f150. Figured out it was from my wash buck. Being careless as I rolled them around the cars.
    2012 Dodge Challenger RT Classic Bright Silver
    2018 Ford F150 Xlt Sport 4X4 Magnetic Grey

3. Likes oneheadlite liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hoyt66 View Post
    Sounds right. Are you sure this is a result of your process? Maybe something you and your wife are driving up against or you are rubbing something against both vehicles. I recently noticed green transfer on my wifes white fusion and then again on the steps of my f150. Figured out it was from my wash buck. Being careless as I rolled them around the cars.
    Since it's on both vehicles I'm assuming it's me. I've always used the swirl o matics to clean my cars in the past and I've never seen it before.

Post Thanks / Like

I would suspect whatever cleaner you are using to be the culprit. It's probably staining the clear-coat.

The fix... try a polish to see if it will remove the stains. If not, then you're probably SOL. Time may fade the staining but other than waiting I don't know what you could do.

In the meantime, I would change the cleaner. Personally, I just use my normal car wash solution for general cleaning of the wheels. Wheel cleaners only when that doesn't work.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Hoyt - from the looks of it from the picture it looks like something rubbed onto the wheel. If it were a chemical issue, you'd think it would be more widespread.

Any chance your brush handle hits or maybe has a "bumper" on it that's marking? I had a carpet brush once with red bumpers that would leave streaks if they rubbed on anything (like tennis shoe marks on a gym floor) - pulled those things off soon as I figured that out.

On a side note - have you thought of using a LSP on your wheels after they're clean? Helps cut down on brake dust sticking/staining and makes it so you don't have to go right to aggressive cleaners. Otherwise you're essentially leaving your wheels stripped and prime for brake dust to bond to them.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post
    I'm with Hoyt - from the looks of it from the picture it looks like something rubbed onto the wheel. If it were a chemical issue, you'd think it would be more widespread.

Any chance your brush handle hits or maybe has a "bumper" on it that's marking? I had a carpet brush once with red bumpers that would leave streaks if they rubbed on anything (like tennis shoe marks on a gym floor) - pulled those things off soon as I figured that out.

On a side note - have you thought of using a LSP on your wheels after they're clean? Helps cut down on brake dust sticking/staining and makes it so you don't have to go right to aggressive cleaners. Otherwise you're essentially leaving your wheels stripped and prime for brake dust to bond to them.

That could be possible. I use chemical guys brushes so I went out and beat the wheels with them a little. Besides my neighbor lady now convinced I'm crazy...nothing. The only thing I can guess with my wash process is maybe the pressure washer hose rubs it yellow? I'll try that next.

Thanks 2black1s. I did try and rub it out with a microfiber towel and some rinseless wash. That didn't work. Then tried an applicator pad with some hybrid solutions ceramic polish. That started clearing it up. A LOT of work and a blister to get one piece cleared. Almost went for the steel wool but I talked myself down. I'm thinking with my DA that should buff out.

And yes, I've started using Gyeon Wet Coat. That doesn't have to be applied every maintenance wash does it?

Thank you for your help!

Post Thanks / Like

try using a microfiber towel with some tar remover and slowly rub away. can't guarantee it will work but it's worth a try. i used some tarminator along with a microfiber towel to remove the red painted dots on some new tires with success..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzwalker View Post
    Since it's on both vehicles I'm assuming it's me. I've always used the swirl o matics to clean my cars in the past and I've never seen it before.
    The swirl o matics are the culprit. It’s transfer from the guides as you drive in.

Try some polish to see if it can be removed.
    Jim

10. Likes Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN liked this post