autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Polishing passenger window

I came out to my car tonight to a massive scratch on my passenger side window. I can't feel the scratch much with my fingernail, but I can't rub it away.

Before I look into replacing the window, I'd like to try and polish the window. A few questions.

1) Is it at all possible by hand or do I need to use my DA? My hesitancy is simply because I don't have a nearby outlet for my car without running a very long extension cord (that I don't have and would have to buy).
    2) CarPro Ceriglass seems to be highly regarded? Any other suggestions? I don't see any other with Cerium Oxide.
    3) How far does 150 mL of Ceriglass get me? I figure if I'm gonna be polishing my glass, I might as well do my windshield too since it's a 2014.
    4) With polishing, do I need to do any top layer on the glass when I'm done? I do have Griot's Glass Sealant but I know that's just like a souped up Rain-X.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polishing passenger window

Here is a reference video. It won't be easy

Post Thanks / Like

Geebus. Okay, well I guess I definitely need to use my DA then. My scratch is nowhere near that bad though so maybe it won't be so bad?

Post Thanks / Like

If you can get a replacement window, do it and save yourself a major headache. It’s a lot easier to replace a window than to buff out a scratch in glass.

5. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
    I came out to my car tonight to a massive scratch on my passenger side window. I can't feel the scratch much with my fingernail, but I can't rub it away.

Before I look into replacing the window, I'd like to try and polish the window. A few questions.

1) Is it at all possible by hand or do I need to use my DA? My hesitancy is simply because I don't have a nearby outlet for my car without running a very long extension cord (that I don't have and would have to buy).
    2) CarPro Ceriglass seems to be highly regarded? Any other suggestions? I don't see any other with Cerium Oxide.
    3) How far does 150 mL of Ceriglass get me? I figure if I'm gonna be polishing my glass, I might as well do my windshield too since it's a 2014.
    4) With polishing, do I need to do any top layer on the glass when I'm done? I do have Griot's Glass Sealant but I know that's just like a souped up Rain-X.
    The video shared by "The Guz" was a great class.

Another suggestion is to buy this kit from the AG-store
    CarPro Ceriglass Kit, glass polish, water spot remover

This will give you a simple method to see if the scratch will improve and not require the DA and extension cords.

An added bonus is that the small polishing block is handy to use around the window edges to get those spots your larger pads will not hit fully.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's some photos of the scratch. Really hard to get a good photo, maybe that's a good sign so that it's not that deep?

I was definitely planning on buying the Ceriglass Kit or even the CarPro FlyBy30 Kit

I was just hoping to make only one purchase due to shipping costs unless AG drops another low threshold FS deal.

8. Likes Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

150ml is more than enough. easier on the arms doing a side window.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you! I will grab the 150mL.

I ran my finger nail over the scratches again this morning, and my nail isn't catching on anything so hopefully that means it'll be repairable.

Any comments on Lake Country vs Griots for glass polishing pads? Leaning towards Lake Country simply due to their reputation, but I am also a fan of Griots.

Post Thanks / Like

I have only used the griots and have no complaints. I bought a three pack and they have held up well. I use to clean the top of our glass top range. I only do the range by hand though. I have used them for our glass enclosed shower and it works great removing calcium deposits and stubborn water spots.

Mike Phillips

It's hard to say 100% from the pictures but to me - it looks like SCUFFING and not actual SCRATCHES.

It's as though the glass is frosty.

If this is the case - then if you watch the video shared and follow the techniques shared - you can fix this.

I've polished a lot of glass in my life and it is more difficult than most people think. But for scuffing, not scratching - it will be easier and faster.

How close are you to Stuart, Florida?

p.s.

Be sure to shake the product well before and during use.

13. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes Craig Encinitas liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast