autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

PPF specific coatings vs “normal” paint coatings on PPF feedback

Hoping for some opinions / experiences as to date I have only used “normal” ceramic coatings, both on top of PPF and on paint.
    With the options of the vinyl/PPF specific coatings now in the marketplace, it makes sense to use the right tool for the job, but also means you would need a typical coating for little areas of the car and trim not covered in PPF. As where I would typically just lay down a standard coating on everything.

This topic has been at the top of my mind lately as I prepare to knock out a matte painted vehicle covered in matte PPF, and the gloss trim is covered in standard PPF, with a few little trim pieces, windshield cowl/trim, and some random aerodynamic bits not covered at all. I’ve been debating using multiple coating types for the car, or just stick to a “normal” paint coating and get all of it.

I have been hearing the PPF specific coatings aren’t as durable, which isn’t of the utmost importance if still only needing a refresh every couple years, but yearly would be a pain.
    I also don’t want to artificially change the matte finish too much.

Options I am weighing right now is:
    HALO on all PPF and ExoV4 on rest
    CSL on everything

Any thoughts? The PPF coatings awesome and way to go, or just an alternate tool amd stick with the standard coatings?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: PPF specific coatings vs “normal” paint coatings on PPF feedback

Check out Dr. Beasley's film coating as well. The benefits of using an actual PPF coating vs. regular coating is that

1. It will not void any PPF manufacturers warranty if applied
    2. It's designed to allow the PPF to continue to do it's self-healing with the coating on
    3. It flexes/moves with the PPF

I just coated my own personal vehicle which has a clear PPF wrap around the front and mirrors.
    Owner/Operator Auto Massage LLC - www.automassagellc.com
    Custom painter and commissioned artist - www.spikedairstudio.com

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the feedback.
    The self healing and ability to move with the film is a great point and the most important I would think. Good calls there.

Post Thanks / Like

From what I have heard from Gtechniq is they developed their PPF coating to work with various manufacturers of PPF. It will not alter the characteristics of the PPF itself. No need for Exo on top off the PPF if that is what you meant. CSL/Exo on the painted surfaces would be just fine.

I have used the CarPro Cquartz Skin on matte vinyl's and PPF and I must say it is slicker than a typical paint coating.

I wouldn't be to worried about maintenance as it would similar to what you already have planned.

5. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have used both the CarPro SKIN and the Gtechniq HALO over my PPF on my hood and front of the wife's car.

Now my preference is the HALO product as it is a slightly better feeling to the hand.

First coating was the SKIN and it was good and did the job but not as slick as the painted sections with PBL Paint Coating/Surface coating.

After a year I decided to polish with CarPro Essence and then apply the HALO based upon comments from Chicago Auto Pros.

It applies easy and recommends two coats. No topper is required. Clarity is good and does bead up the water.
    Results are bit more toward 'slick' that I wanted so I often hit it with the PBL Surface Coating when doing the car every few months as a maintenance topper.

Agree with Spikey Mike, Dr. Beasley's product are on the optional list and could easily trust their formulas!

7. Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Good to hear all the feedback. Lazy me says I didn’t want to do 2 coats but I think HALO it will be.

Assuming just ExoV4 or CSL then is what I’ll use on the black plastic trim around the car. As I assume HALO won’t be happy bonding to that much?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I have used the CarPro Cquartz Skin on matte vinyl's and PPF and I must say it is slicker than a typical paint coating.
    The Kami Surface Film Coat they put on our PPF was really slick too, never really thought about it much before. Is that a common characteristic of these types of coatings?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    The Kami Surface Film Coat they put on our PPF was really slick too, never really thought about it much before. Is that a common characteristic of these types of coatings?
    It must be common across these types of coatings.

11. Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

For me after polishing Xpel PPF it felt super grabby. Water sheets slowly. It was a nice surprise using HALO. Slick and hydrophobic without a topper.