autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Outdoor faucet or adapter for indoor sink for power washer

Hi guys,

I tried to search through the threads here, but wasn't able to find answer to my questions.

So ... we are in the process of renovating the garage and some of the front facade, and of course I would like to have an easy access to water for rinsing and foam cannon.
    Where I live it can get chilly in the winter, well chilly for me , around minus 15 Celsius (5 F) so I think that's a good reason to use warm(not hot) water for rinsing.

Some might ask how I did it so far, well I didn't, as I still don't have the proper equipment, just thinking in advance for that one.

A few options on my mind and cannot decide which one is better:

1) indoors garage sink with adapter to the power washer; there is a sink with cold & hot water in the garage, would it be easy to just use an adapter and connect the power washer? Any observations on such connections?
    2) outdoor faucet , however I guess since we renovate now it is good idea to run also hot water through it ? Or probably no need of hot water considering I won't wash the car exactly at that point of the day when it's minus 15 outside?

My concerns on the first one is that it might not work well when it's connected using an adapter to the garage sink. However it is an easy and clean solution.

The second option is definitely better , but my concern here is that an outdoor faucet would definitely ruin the look of the front facade of the house, regardless if it's only cold or hot water as well. The garage is next to the front door and I don't really want any ugly looking valves or faucets stick out near the entrance. And I am not really sure there is any other spot except the front where I can place the faucet so that it could be easily accessible. :/

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Outdoor faucet or adapter for indoor sink for power washer

I have a wash tub in my shop with a threaded faucet that fits a hose. I have attached a quick coupler to it if I want to run a garden hose, or more frequently, my portable washing machine.
    Owner/Operator Auto Massage LLC - www.automassagellc.com
    Custom painter and commissioned artist - www.spikedairstudio.com

3. Likes Thomkirby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Go with the garage sink which I would imagine is a version of a plastic laundry/utility sink.
    I use my adjacent laundry/ utility sink for the same purpose.

You can blend that way without new lines and ball valves.
    I have never seen a setup like you are talking about with a sill cock using both temps at the same time.
    The second option would be an over complicated approach.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, they make such screw on adapters for a standard kitchen sink to attach a garden hose.

Take off your aerator, bring it into any big box home improvement store, you'll find such in the plumbing department. Best to bring what you have, so you'll know you'll get the proper matching thread size first time out.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I put one of these Moen faucets in my garage, has connections for hot and cold and is freeze proofOutdoor faucet or adapter for indoor sink for power washer-moen-faucet-jpg

7. Likes spazzz, SalmonPride, Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Careful with the sink idea. Many sinks actually knock down your water pressure thanks to the conservation crowd. Last thing you wanna do is starve your pump of water. I'd take it straight to the spigot outside.

Post Thanks / Like

Why not a SunJoe battery powered pressure washer SPX6001 that includes an onboard water tank. I use mine all winter in PA ( unless you are running a business)
    2022 Carrera S & Honda CRV Hybrid
    2015 Lexus IS 350, 2016 Ford F-150
    Cobalt 242 (8.1 L block, Volvo outdrive)

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, guys!

The sink in the garage is just a standard one to wash your hands, cold & hot water faucet and sprout with aerator , that’s it. And it’s at the back so it would also be a hassle to run a hose through the whole garage. I also think that Brian has a point on the pressure.

I talked with the plumber , it seems that it is easy to bring both cold and hot water next to the garage door on the inside ,so there will be no need to bring it outside and risk freezing or ruin the look on the facade with ugly spigots, so this eliminates the option of using the sink and adapters.

Now a few more questions I am facing with the faucet:

1)in general is it good to have hot water as well ? So I can have spigot for cold and spigot for cold and I guess something that would mix those, but then I guess it would just turn into a sink and I will face the same problem with connection, right ? Probably I can use something that @BTW574 suggested with that Moen faucet , but just build it inside next to the door.

2) I guess it is always better to have the option of warm water as well rather than using only cold for rinsing?

3) With that faucet built inside I will have to keep the garage door open when I wash the car, I guess this is nothing I should worry about , right? Unless I want to wash the garage door itself?

P.S. I am neither plumber, nor a native English speaker, so excuse me for the wrong terms I use and all the rest.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SalmonPride View Post
    Thank you, guys!

The sink in the garage is just a standard one to wash your hands, cold & hot water faucet and sprout with aerator , that’s it. And it’s at the back so it would also be a hassle to run a hose through the whole garage. I also think that Brian has a point on the pressure.

I talked with the plumber , it seems that it is easy to bring both cold and hot water next to the garage door on the inside ,so there will be no need to bring it outside and risk freezing or ruin the look on the facade with ugly spigots, so this eliminates the option of using the sink and adapters.

Now a few more questions I am facing with the faucet:

1)in general is it good to have hot water as well ? So I can have spigot for cold and spigot for hot and I guess something that would mix those, but then I guess it would just turn into a sink and I will face the same problem with connection, right ? Probably I can use something that @BTW574 suggested with that Moen faucet , but just build it inside next to the door.

2) I guess it is always better to have the option of warm water as well rather than using only cold for rinsing?

3) With that faucet built inside I will have to keep the garage door open when I wash the car, I guess this is nothing I should worry about , right? Unless I want to wash the garage door itself?

P.S. I am neither plumber, nor a native English speaker, so excuse me for the wrong terms I use and all the rest.
    Look up a "Y hose mixer". Easy to mix hot & cold water from separate spigots.

Also, you could close the garage door right on top of the hose when in use. Most garage doors have rubber gasket at the bottom, and it will not pinch your hose closed.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

These things are cheap and kick bootie if you have a plastic utilitub.
    I used one at work to wash a basement floor with a 25 foot Flexzilla 5/8" hose.
    The thing blasted 20 feet without a sprayer.

No gpm issues with these but you need drop down supplies, typically found in basements.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast