autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Do you coat (or dress) both sides of your tires?

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    They are directional. They are also by far the snazziest winter tires I’ve ever owned. I’m actually prideful of them because I bought the wheel/tire set brand new last year. So the fact that only my hands have been on them since they came to my possession makes them more special.

With that being said, this car is my baby but it’s a DD, and I’ve decided I’m not doing the hidden sides. If I had a better garage with more space I would consider it (maybe), but as they are right now, I’m coating two in the garage and two in the laundry room and spending the extra time playing Twister in my laundry room was deemed not worth it.

On coat #3, drying.

Three coats finished (made it thick/glossy on purpose to hold up in salt/snow).

You lose one punch on your geek card for not coating the insides with wheels already off car!

Just kidding. Give them a clean and move on. What did you use to coat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    You lose one punch on your geek card for not coating the insides with wheels already off car!

Just kidding. Give them a clean and move on. What did you use to coat bags.
    I gave the insides one quick scrub. I seriously don’t want to coat them because it will set internal expectations for myself going forward. I don’t want that... at all. Neither does my wife and son.

I’m using M37 Tire Coating V2 (I think it is the same one Guz likes). His bottle hardened so I’m trying to use as much of this as I can. It’s so glossy after 3 coats fully drying, each layer was caked on, no worries about preserving product. But it’s a totally dry gloss and is probably durable, it looks like rubber armor that’s totally clean and dry to the touch. Might even add more to use more product. I have the 16oz bottle (got extremely cheap on an Xmas sale a few years ago. It’s maybe 75% full still, lol. That’s hopefully why it will last awhile before hardening because the liquid to air ratio is still large. I keep it sealed in 2 bags. The wife’s car is next, but it needs some deep scrubbings because I used Gloss Tire Gel on them this summer. But I have the scrubbing pad now so hopefully I can get it all off after a few washes.

Post Thanks / Like

I gave the insides one quick scrub. I seriously don’t want to coat them because it will set internal expectations for myself going forward. I don’t want that... at all. Neither does my wife and son.

I’m using M37 Tire Coating V2 (I think it is the same one Guz likes). His bottle hardened so I’m trying to use as much of this as I can. It’s so glossy after 3 coats fully drying, each layer was caked on, no worries about preserving product. But it’s a totally dry gloss and is probably durable, it looks like rubber armor that’s totally clean and dry to the touch. Might even add more to use more product. I have the 16oz bottle (got extremely cheap on an Xmas sale a few years ago. It’s maybe 75% full still, lol. That’s hopefully why it will last awhile before hardening because the liquid to air ratio is still large. I keep it sealed in 2 bags. The wife’s car is next, but it needs some deep scrubbings because I used Gloss Tire Gel on them this summer. But I have the scrubbing pad now so hopefully I can get it all off after a few washes.
    Yeah using same stuff. Really impressed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Phillips

I'll chime in,

I coated the inside of my truck's tires once. It was because I had the wheels and tires off the truck. It was also because the wheels and tires were, from my point of view, (truck guy), cool.

If my next truck is a monster truck, I'll do it again. If I end up going with a stock version, (small wheels and tires), then I probably won't bother with the backs of the tires. I might, have to wait and see.

I wanted to clean and coat the back of my rims and tires AND my truck had an axle shaft gasket leak that was slinging rear-end gear oil all over the outside and inside of the rim plus all over the back of the truck.

This is called crap work by the previous owner.

Leaking? Really? I wonder why?

You can see gear oil on the rim in this picture...

So I had to remove the rear wheels and tires to do some maintenance anyways so I turned this maintenance project into my incentive to remove ALL the wheels and tires and coat everything.

Here's the rest of the story on what I did and how I did it.

How to Clean & Coat the INSIDE of your car's wheels

Would I do it again?

If my project is cool - you bet.

It makes everything LOOK better and it makes washing and cleaning down the road faster and easier.

5. Likes spazzz, acuRAS82, Bruno Soares liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Go Mike.
    Your my hero.
    Now I don't feel like an outcast.

If the wheels come off, why not coat em.
    On those trucks you have owned, you almost have to coat the inside with something.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post

Yes I do on my garage queens
    ^^^^ this right here, i once had a 78 bronco on 40" tires, mainly a nice day cruiser and show and shine attendant...it used to regularly get a quick dose of no touch tire shine, with a removal of the excess ( even on the exposed treads)...other than that, i hit the insides with a good degreaser or tire cleaner and powerwash.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Would I do it again?

If my project is cool - you bet.

It makes everything LOOK better and it makes washing and cleaning down the road faster and easier.

I completely understand coating those monster truck tires. They are probably very visible quite often. I don’t recall ever seeing the backs of my tires from a standing view. I suppose that led to my final decision. I do love those tires but they’ll be trucking through snow soon (hopefully), hidden from view.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I'll be the guy who says yes and no.

In the spring when I am prepping my regular wheels and tires to go back on the car, I coat the entire wheel, including the barrel, and dress both sides of the tire.

But when the winter tires are off the car and I prep them for storage, I coat the entire wheel, including the barrels, but only dress the outside of the tires. Why I skip that, I can't tell you - I don't really know.

But I do know it would drive me crazy to drive around on my regular shoes without having dressed them. Yeah, I know that after the first 1,000 miles or so, they probably look no better than before I did them. But...
    Last edited by mk9750; 10-30-2020 at 10:34 AM. Reason: spelling

Post Thanks / Like

Yes! But not on daily drivers. I will clean both side of my DD tires if I have them off the car.

I have been able to work on several pre-war/brass cars, and I always clean and dress both sides of those tires. When we take the 1912 race car to a big show I spend about 4 hours cleaning (rinseless wash only) and protecting (glaze+wax & tire dressing) the wooden wheels & tires - 24" tall wheels, 16 spokes, 4 sides to each spoke.

For one show the owner asked me to dress the treads too - it looked great, but took about an hour (and I was glad I had picked up some foam tipped detailing swabs!). We got a 'That is a nice car' from Wayne Carini at that show, so I guess it was worth it!

Post Thanks / Like

Do you coat (or dress) both sides of your tires?

I wouldn't say hardened. It turned into what looked like cottage cheese. It started to have little white chunks mixed in and it also started to smell bad. That is when Nick told me it had a 2 year shelf life. Its a shame because this version was really good. I would go ahead and add another coat or two to increase the thickness of the coating. This is where a metro vac side kick comes in handy to increase the drying time to between coats.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast