autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's
 

» Detailing Classes

New Dates Available for the Autogeek Roadshow!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    NYC Suburb
    Posts
    220
    Post Thanks / Like

    What dissolves dried on Ceramic Coating?

    Hi all,

    Trying to repurpose a blue glass bottle that held ceramic coating, and had dried on the surface of the bottle.

    Tried Mineral Spirits - Strike 1.
    Tried Acetone - Strike 2.

    Can you think of anything that would working cleaning this off, or should I just bite the bullet and find something else that has the specific dropper type I was interested in repurposing?

    Any feedback appreciated...tried to find MSDS on specific product that hardened, with no luck.

    TIA...Eric

  2. #2
    Senior Member PaulMys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    L.I. NY
    Posts
    7,758
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What dissolves dried on Ceramic Coating?

    Does the blue bottle hold some sentimental value, Eric? Lol

    Just kidding.

    But, I'm not sure what would "dissolve" a ceramic coating that would not be extremely caustic.

    Polishing (abrading) it off is the only thing I would think would work. But........... JMO.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

  3. Likes Spikey Mike liked this post
  4. #3
    Senior Member Spikey Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Grand Forks, ND
    Posts
    324
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What dissolves dried on Ceramic Coating?

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Does the blue bottle hold some sentimental value, Eric? Lol

    Just kidding.

    But, I'm not sure what would "dissolve" a ceramic coating that would not be extremely caustic.

    Polishing (abrading) it off is the only thing I would think would work. But........... JMO.
    What Paul said. The only way to take it off safely is by wet-sanding and/or compounding with an aggressive pad and compound.
    Owner/Operator Auto Massage LLC - www.automassagellc.com
    Custom painter and commissioned artist - www.spikedairstudio.com

  5. #4
    Senior Member Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    El Reno, Oklahoma
    Posts
    464
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What dissolves dried on Ceramic Coating?

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Eric
    How long have you been on the forum brother? Seems like you know many other members by their first name. Is there a directory some where where I can get to know others first names as well? Thanks for any help you can provide Paul!

  6. #5
    Senior Member Coatingsarecrack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    2,244
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What dissolves dried on Ceramic Coating?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN View Post
    How long have you been on the forum brother? Seems like you know many other members by their first name. Is there a directory some where where I can get to know others first names as well? Thanks for any help you can provide Paul!
    The OP posted his name in the 1st post


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    NYC Suburb
    Posts
    220
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What dissolves dried on Ceramic Coating?

    Lol...I always post my name, but Paul probably does know a lot of folks "personally".

    Yes...it does hold sentimental value, and I guess I should be glad that nothing is taking it off, since I would want that behavior on my car.


    I'll bite the bullet; try to find new one via the web.

    Thanks for the replies, kind of knew I was screwed as soon as I emptied the bottle of mineral spirits after letting it soak overnight.

    E

  8. Likes PaulMys, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
  9. #7
    Senior Member Desertnate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    St Louis metro (Illinois)
    Posts
    4,217
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What dissolves dried on Ceramic Coating?

    Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    The OP posted his name in the 1st post
    And if you view the forum on a web browser you can see the members "join date". I don't think you see that if you're using a mobile app, which is a bummer because things like location and how long they've been around might be useful in a conversation.

    Back on topic: I couldn't imagine a product any person could easily buy dissolving a coating. Those left over solids are essentially a form of quartz which is the foundation of sand or glass.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

  10. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
  11. #8
    Senior Member FUNX650's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    20,721
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What dissolves dried on Ceramic Coating?

    Quote Originally Posted by ejaf View Post
    Lol...I always post my name, but Paul
    probably does know a lot of folks "personally".

    Yes...it does hold sentimental value, and I
    guess I should be glad that nothing is taking
    it off, since I would want that behavior on my car.


    I'll bite the bullet; try to find new one via the web.

    Thanks for the replies, kind of knew I was screwed
    as soon as I emptied the bottle of mineral spirits
    after letting it soak overnight.

    E
    Disclaimer:
    Whatever that is suggested below is solely
    intended for the removal/dissolving of the
    Coating residues from the OP’s “blue bottle”.
    Nothing more; nothing less.

    **********************************

    •Unless the Coating was one of Optimum’s
    SiC resin-based Coatings...then high pH
    products (such as alkaline degreasers)

    can do wonders in removing/dissolving the
    majority of SiO2/TiO2 resin-based Coatings.

    -Note:
    It may take the blue bottle
    soaking for awhile, or two,
    to totally remove
    the Coating residue.


    •But if/when in doubt, I suggest contacting
    the manufacturer of the Coating.
    -IMO: in the long run...it’s in their best interest to
    assist you in your quest to remove their Coating.
    -(You may want to re-apply it to your vehicle
    when the original application wears thin.)


    Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

  12. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    NYC Suburb
    Posts
    220
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What dissolves dried on Ceramic Coating?

    Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    Disclaimer:
    Whatever that is suggested below is solely
    intended for the removal/dissolving of the
    Coating residues from the OP’s “blue bottle”.
    Nothing more; nothing less.

    **********************************

    •Unless the Coating was one of Optimum’s
    SiC resin-based Coatings...then high pH
    products (such as alkaline degreasers)

    can do wonders in removing/dissolving the
    majority of SiO2/TiO2 resin-based Coatings.

    -Note:
    It may take the blue bottle
    soaking for awhile, or two,
    to totally remove
    the Coating residue.


    •But if/when in doubt, I suggest contacting
    the manufacturer of the Coating.
    -IMO: in the long run...it’s in their best interest to
    assist you in your quest to remove their Coating.
    -(You may want to re-apply it to your vehicle
    when the original application wears thin.)


    Bob
    Thanks, Bob!

    E

  13. #10
    Director of Training Mike Phillips's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Stuart, Florida
    Posts
    48,862
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What dissolves dried on Ceramic Coating?

    If solvents are found that work easily to wipe over and remove coatings - and - without also harming car paint - that would be a minor strike against one of the main benefits of paint coatings

    Longevity



    Just throwing that out there for discussion.



    Mike Phillips
    Director of Training Autogeek & Marine 31
    IDA Board Member - Certified Detailer - Skills Validated Detailer - IDA Recognized Trainer
    Mike Phillips Facebook Page
    Twitter
    Instagram
    Mike Phillips Detail Training Credentials
    Sign-up for Mike's Tips & Techniques Newsletter


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Wheel Ceramic Coating Vs Regular Ceramic Coating
    By bryanviper in forum Auto Detailing 101
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-28-2019, 02:09 PM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-02-2019, 12:17 AM
  3. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-04-2016, 07:15 PM
  4. WG Uber Ceramic coating or New Gloss coat ceramic forumla
    By Mike@ShineStruck in forum Auto Detailing 101
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-19-2015, 01:42 PM

Members who have read this thread: 51

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» December 2020

S M T W T F S
2930 1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31 12