autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Polish AFTER Dr. Colorchip

Especially if you have soft paint. I just went through the process of correcting my paint and using Dr. Colorchip on numerous chips on the hood and sides of my car. I read repeatedly that it is recommended to do the chip repair after paint correction so that's what I did. After using the chip kit, I noticed that it had swirled the hell of of my paint in those areas regardless of how much pressure I was using with both the squeegee and leveling cloth provided in the kit. So then I had to re-polish those areas. At first I tried it by hand and it just wasn't cutting it. So I used my DA with no pressure (only the weight of the machine) on speed level 2/3 and was able to get all of the swirls out with zero negative effects on the repair.

So, ESPECIALLY if you have soft paint, I would advise going ahead with the chip repair PRIOR to your paint polishing step but AFTER compounding if that is necessary. I only waited 24 hours before polishing the areas but would recommend waiting 3 days to allow it to cure a bit more. And just be mindful of where those repairs were and be easy on them.

This is just my opinion of course, if someone out there has any suggestions on how to avoid swirling the paint while applying the Dr. Colorchip repair, I'm all ears.

Mike Phillips

Re: Polish AFTER Dr. Colorchip

Yeah.... soft paint is always a pain in the butt.

If you polish after chip repair - best to wait as long as you can, like a week, so the paint fully dries and hardens.

The problem with buffing after chip repair is it's too easy to actually PULL the touch-up paint off the car.

For reference,

How to use the Dr. ColorChip Paint Chip Repair Systems

Post Thanks / Like

I do the repair and 2 weeks later polish. That leveling process always leaves some marring behind.
    Bruno Soares

4. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I did the Dr Colorchip repairs on my gf's car and am now a little over 30 days. I did get some marring on the hood but I've gotten better with my technique and minimizing excess paint that has to be removed on other parts of the car. Will be doing paint correction soon. The car needed that anyway.

General Info - Surface Prep, Repair Life, and General Product Questions - Dr. ColorChip: Automotive Paint Chip Repair Systems
    What is the proper procedure for detailing with Dr. ColorChip paint?
    Wash & dry the vehicle. Do any "hard" detailing first, like wet-sanding, compounding and buffing. Then use our paint. Follow up with standard waxing a week later. Refrain from using a circular buffing wheel and wool pad for at least 30 days. We suggest using a random-orbit buffer with a foam pad and quality compound at all times for the best, swirl-free results (rather than the circular buffer and wool pad.)

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Yeah.... soft paint is always a pain in the butt.

If you polish after chip repair - best to wait as long as you can, like a week, so the paint fully dries and hardens.

The problem with buffing after chip repair is it's too easy to actually PULL the touch-up paint off the car.

For reference,

How to use the Dr. ColorChip Paint Chip Repair Systems

I was afraid of that, that's why I used no extra downward pressure on the buffer and a lower speed to mitigate the chances.