autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What should "water beading" look like?

Quote Originally Posted by NJNinja View Post
    Thank you for the response. You are correct - Griot's 3 in 1. I used it on August 8th and then again once more as a drying aid.
    What time frame was the drying aid application applied?

Regarding beads, how uniform or tight they look also depends on temperature outside, temperature of the rain, severity of the rain, and fresh vs municipal water (this based from my experiences anyways).

Warm rain in warm weather seems to bead the best, particularly a soft, misty rain. This is my best case example.

Cold rain in cold weather tends to hurt the uniformity. Heavy downpours that suddenly stop rather than end slowly also causes different shapes beads simply by the heavy water droplets bouncing around, moving previous sitting droplets.

Obviously there’s a zillion in between examples, but I noticed the above as extremes, particularly watching water behavior look poor in the early spring and great in summer (before it evaporates ASAP, anyways). Also I get inconsistent water performance from my hose versus rain, which is generally consistent during similar weather or rain types.

2. Likes CleanIT, Rsurfer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I really like it. It is easier to apply (no streaking) than TW SNS. Works well on trim and glass. I don't know about durability though.
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    I can attest to the ease of use.

I applied the 3-in-1 to my wife's Wrangler hood, and I purposely tried to "overuse" it on some areas. Made zero difference in removal. It still wiped down streak-free.

Very small sample size, I know. But I was impressed with it and the shine is pretty good.

This was applied on the 10th of this month, so like Ninja said- Cannot speak to durability.
    I'll lead off with the fact that I'm not able to do scientific level tracking like so many of our rockstar members here (I say this in the most complimentary way! I'm always blown away how well the peeps here can keep track and judge different LSPs performances).

Unfortunately, while I love detailing as a hobby, my little free time goes towards family time. That being said, I suppose it ends up being more torture-testing for LSPs as there are fewer washes/drying aids over the long run.

I applied the 3 in 1 to my car in February after a normal wash. It stayed on until I took some vacation time in July to do a full correction/reapplication. Again, I don't have scientific feedback for it's performance, but I can say that it was very apparent at each wash that it was still there doing it's thing. I say this based on ease of cleaning - you can tell when an LSP has degraded and now just washing the car requires more effort and time. The water behavior when clean was still basically the same as when applied.

You definitely don't get true coating like water behavior as far as beading goes. But, they don't tend to cling to the car once you get moving.

I've only done CanCoat as far as coatings go, so I can't compare self-cleaning to a true coating. I can say that it's not going to wash itself in a hard rain, but I haven't experienced that with the CanCoat on my wife's car either.

Interesting note, despite collecting your normal levels of dirty accumulated from 75 miles a day, the water behavior stays pretty much the same even when dirty.

Resilience wise, it seems to shrug off bird bombs pretty well. There were a couple nasty ones that baked on in full sun where I was concerned there was going to be etching, but a day later I couldn't locate where they had been (nor could I after that). The same can be said for water spotting - after a wash, I've not seen any permanent water spotting.

The biggest perk to this stuff for me is ease of application. When I applied CanCoat on my wife's car, I was stressed out of my mind because it quickly became apparent the lighting in my garage was not conducive to easy application. Being my first coating, I was also all paranoid about flash time (too long? too soon?) I fully acknowledge this is my issue, not the products, as CanCoat is beloved by many. It just made it clear to me that with my limited time I can put into detailing, I don't want to mess around with anything finicky.

Using the 3 in 1 is really no different than any other spray product. Didn't have any issues with streaking. Only little issue I ran into was wind causing me to chase the spray getting places I didn't want it to go (on panels already done). Next time I'll try spraying into a towel instead.

Coming into winter here (Just got like 6" of snow here yesterday), I'll probably use it as a drying aid next time I can wash the car in the shop at work just to boost it for winter duty. I'll likely give the Mrs' ride a coat as well since I just realized she's past the 1 year mark on the CanCoat.

4. Likes CleanIT, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was told that beading is just one
    indicator to go by. I was also told
    beads should look a certain way.

How does this look?

IMO:
    Looks like a bunch of water beads just
    sitting there, waiting for the potential
    of some (bigly) water-spotting to occur.

Myself:
    I prefer water beads that are...(umm,
    let me just say)...water beads that are
    much, much more active.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

6. Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It was a misty rain, which is why the beading looks as it does. As someone above stated, the beading will look different depending on the type of rain.

Post Thanks / Like

It was a misty rain, which is why the beading looks as it does. As someone above stated, the beading will look different depending on the type of rain.
    Don’t worry ‘bout Bob.
    Sometimes he comes off as a snob.
    But I think he ain’t,
    The man just likes dry paint.

9. Likes CleanIT, Desertnate, MrOneEyedBoh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Don’t worry ‘bout Bob.
    Sometimes he comes off as a snob...

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

11. Likes acuRAS82, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL people like Bob are good to learn from.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What should water beading look like?

I prefer the water to bead and and roll off almost immediately... BSD does that for me. But a light misty rain will leave that lizard skin look...

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

14. Likes Rsurfer, CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe I'm just a little odd, I find it really entertaining what happens to water beads like that as I drive away. On a car with a really hydrophobic surface, those tiny beads all start to merge together and then rapidly roll up the hood. At 45~50 mph the whole hood is dry in a couple blocks.

With a sealant like 845 the drops would form big blobs which would start to shake like a jello mold and then self destruct into a shower tiny droplets into the slipstream moving over the car.

I need help....
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

16. Likes CleanIT, PaulMys, acuRAS82 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I do the same. If the surface is protected, the beads usually roll right off and the car dries out rather quickly.

I'll likely get a coating on my next car, which I'll be keeping longer than the one I currently have. Honestly though, just keeping up with it using Griot's Rinseless Wash and Griot's 3 in 1 or any of the latest shelf brand sprays are good enough for me. While they won't provide the durability of the true coatings, it wont' matter much if I keep up with it by washing it and using 3 in 1 as a drying aid periodically.

18. Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast