autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What should water beading look like?

What should water beading look like?

I was told that beading is just one indicator to go by. I was also told beads should look a certain way. How does this look?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What should "water beading" look like?

Overall pretty uniform, some look a little more flat than others, some more rounded. For me, those are my indicators of beading performance, how tight(beading height and angle) and how uniform(how similar does one bead look to the next and across the panel).

They look good, but sadly we’ve been warped by the crazy beading and water angle of coatings. Few products today will rival the beading capable from coatings, I think Collinite waxes do well as does Duragloss from my experience. Some SiO2 infused products can generally match the beading in the short term.

Beading is great to look at and when the LSP is at its peak leaves a beautiful set of beads similar to your last 2 photos. A couple other indicators to look at besides beading, in my opinion are:

-Sheeting: do the beads roll right off the panel as you drive or can they quickly be rinsed off with your hose

-Self Cleaning: Typically attributed to coatings, they self clean very well from rain or pressure washing. They release dirt from the panel and “stay cleaner longer.”

Any good LSP worth its price of admission, whether a big box bought spray wax or coating should self clean to some degree. Spray wax very short term(1-2 weeks) coating(1+ years). When the self cleaning goes down so too does the beading and sheeting.

-Protection: Does it hold up well to bird bombs? Does tar stick and require harsh chemicals or rubbing? Do bug guts etch right through? Resistant to water spots? This is harder to quantify between LSP’s as some waxes or sealants may be better than coatings in an area or two.

You’ll notice reduced protection as the LSP begins to fade though, reduced beading, reduced sheeting and self cleaning. This will also lead to more bonded contaminants and harder washing and drying processes.

This is why maintanence is key no matter the LSP and coatings are just as susceptible and require upkeep as well. The idea is to keep your base LSP clean while boosting it, hence detail sprays, spray waxes and/or sealants and the more modern ceramic options.
    Alumni Autogeek's first ever Roadshow Detailing Class Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

3. Thanks CleanIT thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

Looks like a quality car wax or sealant after a few washes?

5. Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

Exactly what I was thinking!

7. Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the response. You are correct - Griot's 3 in 1. I used it on August 8th and then again once more as a drying aid.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

I thought the same thing when I saw it. A good sealant, but not a coating.

Quote Originally Posted by DMiglio View Post
    They look good, but sadly we’ve been warped by the crazy beading and water angle of coatings. Few products today will rival the beading capable from coatings, I think Collinite waxes do well as does Duragloss from my experience. Some SiO2 infused products can generally match the beading in the short term.
    So very true. The coatings create water beads which are literally beads which just perch on the surface. I found Collinite 845 crated uniform water beads, but they were often big, fat, classic wax type beads that would just sit on the surface. Not like those from coatings or other SIO2 products which almost roll off on their own.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

10. Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJNinja View Post
    Thank you for the response. You are correct - Griot's 3 in 1. I used it on August 8th and then again once more as a drying aid.
    What do you think of it?

I’ve heard nothing but great things, looks good in YouTube reviews and pics(paint finish and beading shots), but yet to have used it myself.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post

So very true. The coatings create water beads which are literally beads which just perch on the surface. I found Collinite 845 crated uniform water beads, but they were often big, fat, classic wax type beads that would just sit on the surface. Not like those from coatings or other SIO2 products which almost roll off on their own.
    Totally agree, the beading of C845 still looks amazing and if it wasn’t for coatings I’d say it makes some of the best beads as far as I can remember. It leaves a crisp bright finish and works great on all colors but seems to add something to light colors.

Sadly haven’t used it much lately as I’ve been using SiO2 Spray sealants and Coatings mostly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DMiglio View Post
    What do you think of it?

I’ve heard nothing but great things, looks good in YouTube reviews and pics(paint finish and beading shots), but yet to have used it myself.
    I really like it. It is easier to apply (no streaking) than TW SNS. Works well on trim and glass. I don't know about durability though.

14. Likes PaulMys, DMiglio liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJNinja View Post
    I really like it. It is easier to apply (no streaking) than TW SNS. Works well on trim and glass. I don't know about durability though.
    I can attest to the ease of use.

I applied the 3-in-1 to my wife's Wrangler hood, and I purposely tried to "overuse" it on some areas. Made zero difference in removal. It still wiped down streak-free.

Very small sample size, I know. But I was impressed with it and the shine is pretty good.

This was applied on the 10th of this month, so like Ninja said- Cannot speak to durability.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast