autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Worst Case scenario for Brake Dust! Need Advice

Hey everyone, joined about a week ago and this is my first post. I am really thankful if someone could educate more than what I could search on the internet.

I have a 2003 Toyota Sequoia as my daily driver and the rims are stained bad with brake dust, rust and flaking.

I am new to car repair and detailing so I would really appreciate some guidance and help on this.

All I know is that I have to wax the rims after a good cleaning to seal the finish (not sure if my rims may need an extra step). At worst, I understand if I need to get new rims entirely but wanna see what I can do before that.

Firstly, what type of cleaner should I use because of the flaking: Aluminum coated or non-aluminum coated?

Worst Case scenario for Brake Dust! Need Advice-ts2002-front-driver-side-resize-jpgWorst Case scenario for Brake Dust! Need Advice-ts2003-front-passenger-side-2-resize-jpgWorst Case scenario for Brake Dust! Need Advice-ts2003-front-passenger-side-3-resize-jpgWorst Case scenario for Brake Dust! Need Advice-ts2003-rear-driver-side-resize-jpgWorst Case scenario for Brake Dust! Need Advice-ts2002-rear-passenger-side-resize-jpg
    Live Long

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Worst Case scenario for Brake Dust! Need Advice

Welcome to forum. Ill leave the recommendations for someone else but man what a great before and after this is going to be. Don't rush, get all the supplies and take pictures galore.Worst Case scenario for Brake Dust! Need AdviceWorst Case scenario for Brake Dust! Need Advice

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

3. Likes TheLearningMechanic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't had to use something as powerful as Mequiars wheel brightener but this looks like a GREAT candidate Worst Case scenario for Brake Dust! Need Advice Once you clean them really good, get yourself some 303 Touchless Sealant to spray on them after you've rinsed them. After the wheel has been cleaned really good and the wheel is still wet you simply spray some on the rim, enough for coverage, wait about 20-30 seconds and rinse off. You'll be amazed at the water beading and the next time you wash the truck and get to cleaning the rims, it will be that much easier, well, as long as they don't get THAT bad again. Finally a great wheel cleaner for maintence cleaning is called Brake Buster and the preferred method for use is through a foaming sprayer and works great at 4:1.

Welcome to cult... urrrr, forum Worst Case scenario for Brake Dust! Need Advice

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

5. Thanks TheLearningMechanic thanked for this post
    Likes Rsurfer, TheLearningMechanic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    I haven't had to use something as powerful as Mequiars wheel brightener but this looks like a GREAT candidate Worst Case scenario for Brake Dust! Need Advice Once you clean them really good, get yourself some 303 Touchless Sealant to spray on them after you've rinsed them. After the wheel has been cleaned really good and the wheel is still wet you simply spray some on the rim, enough for coverage, wait about 20-30 seconds and rinse off. You'll be amazed at the water beading and the next time you wash the truck and get to cleaning the rims, it will be that much easier, well, as long as they don't get THAT bad again. Finally a great wheel cleaner for maintence cleaning is called Brake Buster and the preferred method for use is through a foaming sprayer and works great at 4:1.

Welcome to cult... urrrr, forum Worst Case scenario for Brake Dust! Need Advice

Meg's WB might be to strong for those pitted wheels. If the acid gets under the clear and paint, it may start to delaminate. Iron X might be a safer cleaner.

7. Thanks Klasse Act thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Meg's WB might be to strong for those pitted wheels. If the acid gets under the clear and paint, it may start to delaminate. Iron X might be a safer cleaner.
    Great point, didn't realize how strong the acid was in thereWorst Case scenario for Brake Dust! Need Advice

OP, your going to want to get yourself a couple good wheel brushes as well. The Speed Master and Mother's wheel brush are 2 good ones to start withWorst Case scenario for Brake Dust! Need Advice

Btw that Brake Buster also works on your tires as wellWorst Case scenario for Brake Dust! Need AdviceWorst Case scenario for Brake Dust! Need Advice

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice and Im gonna make sure to get a good picture each step of the way.

Question: If the Mequiars Wheel Brightner for whatever reason does not work, should I retry with the same product or different product before even attempting to put on the sealant?
    I would think that I trying to perform another cleaning over the sealant would be difficult, please correct me if I am wrong?
    Live Long

Post Thanks / Like

Meg's WB is a strong chemical, so wear protective gear. If you are going to use MWB try diluting it first. You can always increase the ratio as needed.

You won't find anything stronger for wheels OTC than Meg's Wheel Brightner.

11. Likes Klasse Act liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Clean them to the best of your ability before applying the sealant and something like 303 Touchless Sealant is one of the best easiest to use and the bottle will last you quite a while.

Post Thanks / Like

If you have rust and flaking of the finish, those wheels need to be refinished first, then you worry about a cleaner to handle the brake dust. I like Wolfgang Uber Wheel Cleaner for very dirty wheels, if just lightly dirty, I use Brake Buster.

Wax won’t do anything to protect wheels, at least not more than a few days. If you get the wheels refinished you’ll want to ceramic coat them. Then you have a year or more of protection.
    Bruno Soares

14. Thanks TheLearningMechanic thanked for this post
    Likes TheLearningMechanic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    If you have rust and flaking of the finish, those wheels need to be refinished first, then you worry about a cleaner to handle the brake dust. I like Wolfgang Uber Wheel Cleaner for very dirty wheels, if just lightly dirty, I use Brake Buster.

Wax won’t do anything to protect wheels, at least not more than a few days. If you get the wheels refinished you’ll want to ceramic coat them. Then you have a year or more of protection.
    I agree after reading these comments and it leads me to something I'm very good at...spending OTHER people's moneyWorst Case scenario for Brake Dust! Need AdviceWorst Case scenario for Brake Dust! Need AdviceWorst Case scenario for Brake Dust! Need Advice May I suggest a set of the 1552 rims that are for trucks that look off road cool as hellWorst Case scenario for Brake Dust! Need AdviceWorst Case scenario for Brake Dust! Need AdviceWorst Case scenario for Brake Dust! Need Advice

16. Likes TheLearningMechanic liked this post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast