autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: My experience w BF Ceramic Pro Black Edition

It is possible the temp and humidity played a factor. Perhaps all you needed was to let it sit for 30 second if it was difficult the longer you let it sit. The other thing is you could have received a bad batch of product.

Post Thanks / Like

This sounds like the experience I have with Mckees Headlight coating now that it’s old. I added some IPA to it and it’s better but still not performing like new. I assume the BF bottle top was sealed properly when it arrived.

I also purchased this due to the price being too good to pass up recently. I wanted something to put on my parent’s car for the wi yet but won’t see them until November, so now I’m slightly concerned about what the temperature in my garage will be, and concerned due to your experience.

Post Thanks / Like

So you applied Cquartz UK to the whole car 6 months ago and you’ve just started applying and new coating to the whole car after only a wash. Do I have that right?

Was the bumper easier to coat than the trunk lid by any chance?

Post Thanks / Like

My experience w BF Ceramic Pro Black Edition

Hi Wristy. Thats right. I did remove the previous coating before applying the new. The bumper was no different than the rest of the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2005 Nissan 350z (Polish Angel Viking-Coat)/2020 AMG GLC43 (Polish Angel Viking-Coat and Auto Gliss 2.0)/2012 Honda Odyssey TE (Jescar Power Lock)/2020 AMG C43 (CQuartz UK3.0 and Auto Gliss 2.0)

Post Thanks / Like

My experience w BF Ceramic Pro Black Edition

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    It is possible the temp and humidity played a factor. Perhaps all you needed was to let it sit for 30 second if it was difficult the longer you let it sit. The other thing is you could have received a bad batch of product.
    Its possible that maybe it doesn’t need such a long working time. However that kills the benefit of being able to do a whole panel at once. Thats one of the reasons I picked this coating.

2005 Nissan 350z (Polish Angel Viking-Coat)/2020 AMG GLC43 (Polish Angel Viking-Coat and Auto Gliss 2.0)/2012 Honda Odyssey TE (Jescar Power Lock)/2020 AMG C43 (CQuartz UK3.0 and Auto Gliss 2.0)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ntwillie1 View Post
    Its possible that maybe it doesn’t need such a long working time. However that kills the benefit of being able to do a whole panel at once. Thats one of the reasons I picked this coating.

Hard to say. Hopefully Mike or someone from AGO chimes in. I haven’t used any of the new AGO coatings.

Have you tried it on another painted surface that is not your car paint? For example another cars panel.

Post Thanks / Like

I recently was able to witness using this new BF coating and you waited a bit too long given your temp and humidity. The 5-minutes statement to sit was one extreme but can remove much earlier (less than one minute). That coating is HARD and is truly a pro-level coating. Apply very thin layers and remove earlier. In this case a test section would be suggested when using a product the first time.

I was able to feel that rubbery texture on a section we left untouched with no wipe off after 15-minutes. That was a test panel thankfully and was difficult to polish to remove, it is hard. On the test car, I used two other BF products as a topper, paint coating spray and the Surface coating, and each one gave a slicker feeling to the base BLACK coating. Again this was done shortly after the application so a proper cure time of 24- hours on the base layer was not in my experience.

Sorry to hear your disappointment, suggest calling or send email to AG. Perhaps this will help them update instructions or give warnings to do a test section for first time use.

8. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's interesting that in cool humid conditions it flashes so much quicker than what is provided in the product instructions. From my experience with CQuartz UK, both v2 and v3 flashing slowed in cool damp conditions, especially v3.0.

I've not used the Blackfire coating, but I'd be hesitant to leave any coating sit for 3~5 minutes unless I was very familiar with the product and it's behavior in the environment. Because lighting conditions, paint color, and climate are all major factors in the application experience, I tend to use the wipe-off behavior as my guide. Lighting/paint color may make flashing behavior impossible to see. Climate may take you way outside the removal time window recommended by the manufacturer. However, if you test a few small areas, you should be able to lock in a rough time frame where removal of the coating is easy and clean and doesn't smear. If you find it's smearing on removal, wait a touch longer. If it's hard to remove, remove a little earlier.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

10. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes Thomkirby, ntwillie1, Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thomkirby View Post
    I recently was able to witness using this new BF coating and you waited a bit too long given your temp and humidity. The 5-minutes statement to sit was one extreme but can remove much earlier (less than one minute). That coating is HARD and is truly a pro-level coating. Apply very thin layers and remove earlier. In this case a test section would be suggested when using a product the first time.

I was able to feel that rubbery texture on a section we left untouched with no wipe off after 15-minutes. That was a test panel thankfully and was difficult to polish to remove, it is hard. On the test car, I used two other BF products as a topper, paint coating spray and the Surface coating, and each one gave a slicker feeling to the base BLACK coating. Again this was done shortly after the application so a proper cure time of 24- hours on the base layer was not in my experience.

Sorry to hear your disappointment, suggest calling or send email to AG. Perhaps this will help them update instructions or give warnings to do a test section for first time use.
    Well said Kirby!

I personally find applying the BLACKFIRE Black Edition with a suede cloth makes it harder to use if you're looking for more working time (sweating). Because the suede cloth spreads the coating out SO THIN, it actually "rainbow flashes" and behaves like a normal coating. If applying it with this type of applicator, let it sit for 30-60 seconds and wipe off.

I typically use the Blue Microfiber Coating Applicators that we sell to apply that coating - Blue Microfiber Coating Applicator. I find these to spread the coating out in a thicker layer. When applied thicker, it allows it to form sweating more from what I have seen personally. It actually flashes like a normal coating for the first 30 seconds or so but then dissipates and the sweating feature kicks in.

In our air conditioned garage, I have applied the coating and let it sit for different increments of time just to see how the wipe off would be. I did 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 20 minutes, and even 40 minutes before wiping off. After 5 minutes it does become sticky to remove but can still be wiped off with a tight napped towel. Around 10 minutes it took a lot of rubbing but was still able to get a good bit off. After 10 minutes, it wasn't wiping off. In Kirby's class we let it sit for around 40 minutes and they ended up having to use a Griots Garage G8, Buff and Shine Uro-Tech Maroon cutting pad, and Griots Garage Fast Correcting Creme and many passes to get it off. That was just after only 40 minutes! INSANE, imagine a 24 hour cure time, really shows how durable this coating really is!

However, anything before 5 minutes seemed to wipe off no problem for me. I find this coating unique because you wipe it off "wet" essentially which is kind of nice because you can really see what area you're wiping off easily. Other coatings flash and the layer is so thin, sometimes it's hard to tell if you missed a spot and need a good light to really double check your wipe off.

The coating itself will be more of a "rubbery" feel to it after wipe off but that is just the nature of this high solids coating that is really designed for the ultimate durability. It won't feel as slippery feeling as like Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Surface Coating but will certainly outlast it! I found the hydrophobic properties extremely amazing with this coating as well. You can use products such as SiO2 Spray Sealants over the coating and they will help with making it more slick.

I will have them update our directions and copy about the rainbow flash and also about the flash time. When working with this coating in air conditioning, I truly believe you have an "up to" a 5 minute working time from the testing that I've done. I even recorded a video of wipe off round a 5 minute time frame to show people how easy it still wipes off and how the sweating looks. BUT when working in high humidity/heat, definitely would cut down on the flash time and treat it like a normal coating: 30-60 second flash time.

Only thing I can think of for the coating to be acting up as it did was these: the coating used 6 months prior was not fully compounded/removed off. Or possibly the temperature may have been just a tad "too cold" possibly if it was in the low 60's (have not seen how this coating reacts in colder climates). We usually have the AC around 72 in our garage. It could possibly have been a bad bottle but have not heard of this ourselves at this time. If you call me at 772-247-3502, I can send you some of the microfiber applicators I talked about and a new bottle and you can give it another go if you'd like.
    Autogeek R&D
    andre@autogeek.net

12. Thanks Thomkirby, Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Well said Kirby!

I personally find applying the BLACKFIRE Black Edition with a suede cloth makes it harder to use if you're looking for more working time (sweating). Because the suede cloth spreads the coating out SO THIN, it actually "rainbow flashes" and behaves like a normal coating. If applying it with this type of applicator, let it sit for 30-60 seconds and wipe off.

I typically use the Blue Microfiber Coating Applicators that we sell to apply that coating - Blue Microfiber Coating Applicator. I find these to spread the coating out in a thicker layer. When applied thicker, it allows it to form sweating more from what I have seen personally. It actually flashes like a normal coating for the first 30 seconds or so but then dissipates and the sweating feature kicks in.
    Andre: Just a thought.

If the recommendation is to use the MF applicator pads, you might want to change how the kits are sold for the BF coatings. Both the Black Edition Pro Coating (BLACKFIRE Pro Ceramic Coating BLACK EDITION Application Kit) and the Pro Coating (BLACKFIRE Pro Ceramic Coating Kit) come with the suede cloths and applicator pad like other coatings.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

14. Thanks Craig Encinitas, Rmd thanked for this post
    Likes Thomkirby, ntwillie1, Craig Encinitas liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast