autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Terry or Microfiber Bonnet for machine wax removal?

I have both Terry and microfiber bonnets I can put over a 6inch wool pad. I also have the Rupes LH 15 and the flex 3401 DA. Just wondering which will finish out the nicest. I am going to use Collinite 476 paste for the winter coat applied by one of the machines with a white 6inch foam pad. I already did the daily driver (Kia) with a microfiber bonnet on the Flex but didn't quite get the deep glow I was after so I thought maybe a Terry or finishing with the Rupes will be better. This will be on my wife's Acura and my Ford P/U.
    I generally only wait about 10 minuets or so and remove the wax before it becomes very difficult to remove.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Terry or Microfiber Bonnet for machine wax removal?

Quote Originally Posted by solman View Post
    I have both Terry and microfiber bonnets I can put over a 6inch wool pad. I also have the Rupes LH 15 and the flex 3401 DA. Just wondering which will finish out the nicest. I am going to use Collinite 476 paste for the winter coat applied by one of the machines with a white 6inch foam pad. I already did the daily driver (Kia) with a microfiber bonnet on the Flex but didn't quite get the deep glow I was after so I thought maybe a Terry or finishing with the Rupes will be better. This will be on my wife's Acura and my Ford P/U.
    I generally only wait about 10 minuets or so and remove the wax before it becomes very difficult to remove.
    Thanks
    First of all why not remove by hand? Second, if your having difficulty removing, you are using too much. Thin is in when applying waxes/sealants.

Mike Phillips

I have both Terry and microfiber bonnets I can put over a 6inch wool pad. I also have the Rupes LH 15 and the flex 3401 DA.
    I've tried both of these for removing LSPs by machine and never found either of them to work well for feel comfortable to me - removing the LSP this way. That's just me though.

If I were to want to remove a wax via machine - I would use a simple 8mm free spinning random orbital polisher like you see here,

How to use a microfiber bonnet to remove dried wax by machine

Just wondering which will finish out the nicest.
    Generally speaking, microfiber towels or bonnets, because they are softer and more gentle to scratch-sensitive paint will finish out nicer.

I am going to use Collinite 476 paste for the winter coat applied by one of the machines with a white 6 inch foam pad. I already did the daily driver (Kia) with a microfiber bonnet on the Flex but didn't quite get the deep glow I was after so I thought maybe a Terry or finishing with the Rupes will be better. This will be on my wife's Acura and my Ford P/U.
    That's a fairly stout wax to try to remove with a bonnet on any machine.

At this point - might as well give the cotton terrycloth bonnet a go. You could always just do one panel like the hood and see how the results look.

I'm with Ron aka Rsurfer, I quit removing waxes and sealants years ago by machine. I like the control of working/wiping by hand, especially if I've invested a lot of time into making paint perfect.

Besides that - IF the bonnet is truly removing wax, then you'll need to clean the face of the bonnet often, remove the bonnet and use the other side, or switch to a clean bonnet.

Let us know what you end up doing.

::

4. Likes Rsurfer, PaulMys liked this post
    Mike Phillips

And...

If you watch this video, Bryan Fuller and I show how to use a bonnet on a Porter Cable to remove wax by machine.

The wax removal by machine part starts at the 1:46 time mark.

That guy is a hoot!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks
    I have used 476 for years, and I agree with Ron & Mike on all points.

I will also add that waiting 10 minutes for the 476 to dry/haze is WAY too long, and will just result in headaches for removal. Unlike 845 (liquid) that you can apply to the entire vehicle and then remove with ease at any time, the 476 (paste) is a completely different animal.

For best results, I will apply the 476 to no more than half of my hood (Ram truck, so it's pretty big), and immediately go back and start to remove it where I started. (Maybe 3 minutes tops).

There is no need to let the 476 completely haze over to a dry, uniform "chalky" look. If it does, you have waited too long and have made way too much work for yourself.

It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

7. Likes Rsurfer, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I will use a microfiber and do it by hand as has been recommended. Not a big deal just being lazy I suppose.
    I will try waiting just a few minuets and then remove the wax. Perhaps waiting too long is what makes it hard to remove. I thought the wax won't really come off until it dries out a bit.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I will use a microfiber and do it by hand as has been recommended. Not a big deal just being lazy I suppose.
    I will try waiting just a few minuets and then remove the wax. Perhaps waiting too long is what makes it hard to remove. I thought the wax won't really come off until it dries out a bit.
    Thanks
    Use a good quality MF towel like the Griot's wax removal towels, or equivalent. And I always keep a soft-buff towel in my other hand for the final wipe.

If you read your fine print on the bottom of the 476 can, it says: "As wax begins to dry/haze, polish off with a microfiber or soft cotton towel."

The key word in that directive is "begins".

Also, don't gloss over the fact that the only word in all capital letters in the description is THIN.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

10. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes Rsurfer, DFB, Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Collinite 476 wax on my 10 year old truck
    done by hand as recommended. I hope this makes it thru the winter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Terry or Microfiber Bonnet for machine wax removal?-cb6a7580-ac20-4153-b462-59a049f172cf-jpeg  

12. Likes oneheadlite, PaulMys liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Collinite 476 wax on my 10 year old truck

That is big and beautiful! Can't really see it being a decade old by how clean and shiny she is!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    That is big and beautiful! Can't really see it being a decade old by how clean and shiny she is!

Yeah, second that since Mike enlarged the picture.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast