autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Member Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Should I Quick Detail With Mothers Instant Detailer and Then Apply Another Coat of Optimum Wax?

1. Should I Quick Detail With Mothers Instant Detailer and Then Apply Another Coat of Optimum Wax?

I waxed this vinyl wrapped truck on Monday.

Does mothers instant detailer leave anything behind or does it just clean?

2. There are 3 options.

A. do nothing

B. Do a quick detailing of the vinyl wrap with the Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Detailer before the customer picks it up. I don't know if the Hybrid Ceramic Detailer is safe for the wrap.

C. Do a quick detailing of the exterior with the Mother's Instant Detailer and then apply another coat of Optimum Car Wax just before the customer picks it up.

My goal is to get any dust, smudges, fingerprints etc off before the customer picks it up.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Should I Quick Detail With Mothers Instant Detailer and Then Apply Another Coat of Optimum Wax?

I assume Mother’s QD leaves behind some minor polymers for gloss. If OCW is already on the vehicle and doing well then I think Mother’s QD would be fine, but try a test spot on a low, rear panel to make sure there’s no weird streaking.

I think Mother’s is a better option than Megs Ceramic Detailer which is thick and would have a better chance of streaking especially on top of a traditional spray wax like OCW.

3. Thanks Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN thanked for this post
    Likes Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Should I Quick Detail With Mothers Instant Detailer and Then Apply Another Coat of Optimum Wax?

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    I assume Mother’s QD leaves behind some minor polymers for gloss. If OCW is already on the vehicle and doing well then I think Mother’s QD would be fine, but try a test spot on a low, rear panel to make sure there’s no weird streaking.

I think Mother’s is a better option than Megs Ceramic Detailer which is thick and would have a better chance of streaking especially on top of a traditional spray wax like OCW.
    Thank you very much!

Here is a pic under the scrutiny of my Speedmaster Swirlfinder Light after a test spot with the Mother's Instant Detailer.

I don't see any streaking. What about you?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN View Post
    Thank you very much!

Here is a pic under the scrutiny of my Speedmaster Swirlfinder Light after a test spot with the Mother's Instant Detailer.

I don't see any streaking. What about you?

No, it looks fine to me. I would go for it. It’s some pretty tame QD.

6. Thanks Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN thanked for this post
    Likes Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One other thought to share: as long as a simple product like Mother’s QD doesn’t explicitly state it shouldn’t be used on PPF/wrap, I would hope that it should be pretty safe across the board given it is sold across the country to non-professionals and non-enthusiasts. I’m sure Mother's wouldn’t want Joe Shnow to ruin or streak a wrap and come back at them. So if I’m right, then the worst that should happen with a simple QD should be some light streaking that could be easily bugged off if noticed.

8. Thanks Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN thanked for this post
    Just call me Mr. Mom
    Post Thanks / Like

If you're worried about "leaving something behind" when detailing, I'd suggest you go with a body-shop safe instant detailer like our 85624 Professional Detailer or Meguiar's #34 Final Inspection.

10. Thanks Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by forrest@mothers View Post
    If you're worried about "leaving something behind" when detailing, I'd suggest you go with a body-shop safe instant detailer like our 85624 Professional Detailer or Meguiar's #34 Final Inspection.
    forrest, the QD he is using is fine for PPF, correct?

Just call me Mr. Mom
    Post Thanks / Like

forrest, the QD he is using is fine for PPF, correct?
    Yes, California Gold Instant Detailer is fine on a wrap or Paint Protection Film. I took his question as to applying a product over the top of it. Any wax or sealant would be fine over the top of it. The truly anal wouldn't want to apply a ceramic coating over the top of an instant detailer like this for best practices. That's why I suggested the body-shop safe versions.

13. Thanks Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN thanked for this post
    Likes acuRAS82, Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by forrest@mothers View Post
    If you're worried about "leaving something behind" when detailing, I'd suggest you go with a body-shop safe instant detailer like our 85624 Professional Detailer.
    I may just try it one day. Will it be ok for this wrap? Also will it degrade the Optimum Car Wax? I was hoping I'd see you pop up on this thread!

Post Thanks / Like

One other thought to share: as long as a simple product like Mother’s QD doesn’t explicitly state it shouldn’t be used on PPF/wrap, I would hope that it should be pretty safe across the board given it is sold across the country to non-professionals and non-enthusiasts. I’m sure Mother's wouldn’t want Joe Shnow to ruin or streak a wrap and come back at them. So if I’m right, then the worst that should happen with a simple QD should be some light streaking that could be easily bugged off if noticed.
    I agree brother! Great thinking!

16. Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast