autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Will Poorboys Professional Polish Clean panels well?

Basically what I want to do is it polish my paint but don't really want to use anything abrasive. Ford clear is super thin, so I plan to only hit it with abrasive every few years. It's white the swirls are hidden well.

What I want to do is clean the paint to remove water stains, embedded dirt etc. I think Professional Polish on a white LC pad should be good. And I also want to clean the paint for the best chance of sealant to bond/lay down well.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Will Poorboys Professional Polish Clean panels well?

It should do the trick for those purposes. With a white pad, you'll actually get some correction as well.

I used Pro Polish on my daughter's gray metallic Mazda3 many years ago and it actually did I pretty good job of increasing the shine and clarity of the paint. There wasn't any major correction going on, but it did remove light swirls from washing and add some gloss.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

3. Likes MrOneEyedBoh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! So should I wash, chemical decontaminate, wash, clay then polish or can I wash clay and then polish?

Post Thanks / Like

What do you mean by chemical decontaminate? If you mean using a product like IronX, then yes, go ahead and do that step. Pro-polish won't act like an iron remover. If not, I don't know what you'd gain by doing that step and polishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Pro polish is great stuff. I use it a lot. Also a fantastic metal polish.

Sounds like it’s perfect for your situation here.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry yeah I want to wash, iron x, clay, wash and polish. I just didn't know if I should do both since I just did iron x a few months back. Maybe clay is enough?

Basically I want to clean the paint, clear it up some make it shine and throw a sealant on it for winter.

Post Thanks / Like

When using a sealant, I've always taken the path of least resistance when going into winter. I look for protection over anything else. The car will be covered in grime and salt for most of the winter and any major amount of work won't be seen. I wait until spring to make the car look it's best.

9. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What about people saying you need clean paint to allow it to bond , per-se. This time, since I bought the truck new and they're super expensive, I'm trying to do it all as right as possible....

Post Thanks / Like

The sealant will bond just fine if you don't use IronX. It would even work well if you don't clay. Heck, it would probably still work just fine if you simply washed the vehicle really well and jumped straight to the sealant. Sealants really don't need a carefully prepped surface like a coating does.

I have never used an iron remover on any car. Until I started using coatings, I never did a panel wipe before applying a sealant either. When I still used sealants my winter prep consisted of washing the car, applying a glaze like Prima Amigo to fill in any defects, and then I'd go straight to applying the Klasse twins or Collinite 845. I'd save the clay and a good polishing until the spring. I never had issues with the sealants not getting me through the winter. In fact, I never noticed any difference in sealant durability between my spring/fall routines even though they were slightly different. I'd always get around 5~6 months.

12. Likes PaulMys, Thomkirby, MrOneEyedBoh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I for some reasons always have a problem with the hood. I don't know why .. but it seems to fail there prematurely. Maybe it's just loaded with pollen and dirt from sitting outside? I don't drive it much just to work maybe a day or two and then on the weekend. So if it rains it sits in the driveway and dries off there too. So it kinda sucks but which is another reason I want to keep a good coat of wax/sealant on it.

I used a few different kinds and out of the common ones Fk great white lasted decently. And this time I'm using fusso coat. It's not nearly as bad to remove as others say and to me it looks to have made a visual difference versus other sealants. GW looked good too.... Must be the true synthetic sealant look...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast