autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Paint Cleaner???

Obviously having daily drivers specially dark color cars even if you practice safe wash techniques the surface gets some minimal marring and after a clay bar also some marring will be present. I would like to find a polish that I can use every 1-2 years without being afraid of removing too much paint but without sacrifice a lot of gloss (obviously not looking for perfection). Looking in AG website I found 3 non VOC paint cleaners that catch my eye:
    Blackfire Paint Cleaner
    P21S Gloss Enhansing Paintwork Cleanser
    DP Coating Prep Polish

Which one do you recomend?
    Which one leaves more gloss?
    Which one could be a last step before a coating?
    ... you get the picture

Thanks in advance

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Paint Cleaner???

Quote Originally Posted by gorillapr View Post
    Obviously having daily drivers specially dark color cars even if you practice safe wash techniques the surface gets some minimal marring and after a clay bar also some marring will be present. I would like to find a polish that I can use every 1-2 years without being afraid of removing too much paint but without sacrifice a lot of gloss (obviously not looking for perfection). Looking in AG website I found 3 non VOC paint cleaners that catch my eye:
    Blackfire Paint Cleaner
    P21S Gloss Enhansing Paintwork Cleanser
    DP Coating Prep Polish

Which one do you recomend?
    ... you get the picture

Thanks in advance

I am by no means a pro but would assume if claying paint should be pretty contamination free. If only minor marring and no swirling id try a polishing pad and light polish.

Did a car in pretty good shape very light swirls with a Car pros Essence and a Boss yellow pad and came out great.

From what I read in a old post From mike in the Meguiars forum was a paint cleaner only removes, as i read, surface contamination and defects. Polishing is where you get your shine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    I am by no means a pro but would assume if claying paint should be pretty contamination free. If only minor marring and no swirling id try a polishing pad and light polish.

Did a car in pretty good shape very light swirls with a Car pros Essence and a Boss yellow pad and came out great.

From what I read in a old post From mike in the Meguiars forum was a paint cleaner only removes, as i read, surface contamination and defects. Polishing is where you get your shine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ohhhh
    That last statement is gold!!!!
    Didnt know that

Post Thanks / Like

If you are washing and claying the vehicle, you don't need a paint cleanser. When you are finished washing/claying, I would recommend a one-step polish like Blackfire One Step or Dr Beasley's new NSP Z1 polish and sealant with a polishing pad/tool of your liking. I personally would use them in conjunction with a yellow Buff & Shine Urotech pad or a white Lake Country force hybrid polishing pad.

Washing removes the bulk of filth
    Claying takes away the contaminants and smooths the paint, which gives you the shine because there's nothing to defract the light on the surface
    Polishing with a cleaner/wax like one-step or z1 gives you the beauty
    Owner/Operator Auto Massage LLC - www.automassagellc.com
    Custom painter and commissioned artist - www.spikedairstudio.com

5. Likes Thomkirby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great advice from everyone. I'll only add that most of the paint cleaners have little/no abrasives and in the case of the Blackfire product, it even mentions having fillers like a glaze.

If you'll be polishing one or two times a year I'd use the lightest polish and pad combination which will work for the paint on your vehicle. If your paint has very hard paint like the VW I used to own, a medium polishing pad and a compound was actually needed to do even a light polish. Because the paint was so hard, I was still removing very little clear coat. On soft paint a finishing pad or medium polishing pad and a light polish will work just fine for you.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Mike Phillips

Obviously having daily drivers specially dark color cars even if you practice safe wash techniques the surface gets some minimal marring and after a clay bar also some marring will be present. I would like to find a polish that I can use every 1-2 years without being afraid of removing too much paint but without sacrifice a lot of gloss (obviously not looking for perfection).

Looking in AG website I found 3 non VOC paint cleaners that catch my eye:

Backfire Paint Cleaner
    P21S Gloss Enhancing Paintwork Cleanser
    DP Coating Prep Polish

Which one do you recommend?
    NONE of the above will remove any defects. They are all NON-Abrasive.

Before going any further, click the link below and read my article and get my take on these types of products.

A paint cleaner is an either/or product - The difference between a paint cleaner and a paint polish by Mike Phillips

Mike Phillips

Get the new Dr. Beasely's Z1

Use it as a standalone one-step polish and ceramic coating. Apply using soft foam pad - little cut or little paint removal.

OR

After using it like a polish - apply a coating over it.

Review: Dr. Beasley's NSP Z1 - One Step Primer & Nanocoating with Ti02 & Si02 + Composite Engineered Abrasives

Dr. Beasley's NSP Z1 - One Step Primer & Nanocoating with Ti02 & Si02

9. Thanks gorillapr thanked for this post
    Likes Thomkirby, gorillapr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just saw the AG youtube video interview and the abrasive tech that they are using is outstanding...
    Difinitely worth a try, and a 1 year AIO is a game changer!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I am not a pro...but on my daily driver I been using Blackfire one step....it cleans...polish and protects...the car looks great...

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by weekend warrior View Post

I am not a pro...but on my daily driver I been using Blackfire one step....it cleans...polish and protects...the car looks great...

We're going to do a LIVE video showing BLACKFIRE One Step removing #3000 grit sanding marks LIVE on black paint.

Here's where you can watch LIVE on either of the two locations

YouTube - You can interact LIVE via the comments section

Facebook - You can interact LIVE via the comments section

The video will be on the AG YouTube channel forever in case you can't make it live.