autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Wolfgang Ceramic Spray Over WDGPS

I am a big fan of WGDPS and am ready to apply it before winter. I’ll wash to strip and then apply 2 coats of WDGPS via machine...not a full detail at this time as paint still looks good from the spring.

Am thinking about applying the Wolfgang spray ceramic coating over the WDGPS to engage de protection over the winter. Is this advisable? Have you done this and what is your experience? Maybe I Am overdoing it —- should I apply just the spray coating to the paint and forego the WDGPS?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wolfgang Ceramic Spray Over WDGPS

I wouldn’t do this, ceramics require a bare surface to truly bond to the paint. The WDGPS would interfere with that bond and cause it to fail.

Best case if you wanted to use both would be to use the WGCSC as a base, give it a week or two to fully set up and bond and then apply the WDGPS. Doing this though would cause a similar issue in that the coating won’t allow the sealant to fully bond. You’ll also get the benefits and water behavior of the sealant for some time as opposed to the Ceramic.

Me-if I had the time to prep properly, I’d do the coating and maintain monthly with a ceramic detail spray or spray sealant product. If I didn’t have the time, 2 costs of WDGPS maintainend monthly with detailer or Spray wax/sealant.
    Alumni Autogeek's first ever Roadshow Detailing Class Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

3. Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

DMiglio — Thanks. Your comments make sense. I usually do the WDGPS routine as you outline. I will likely try the ceramic this winter and see how it does.

5. Likes DMiglio liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spewking View Post
    DMiglio — Thanks. Your comments make sense. I usually do the WDGPS routine as you outline. I will likely try the ceramic this winter and see how it does.
    Dmiglio knows his stuff. There’s different ‘levels’ of toppers that could be used with WG Ceramic Spray Coating (CSC). Attempting to list them from most substantial to lightest:
    WG Uber SiO2 Silica Spray
    WG PROFI Booster
    WG SiO2 Maintenance Wash (not a topper but leaves a lot behind)
    WG PROFI Detailer Spray
    WG SiO2 Waterless Wash

Also I would not personally hesitate to top WG CSC with itself every month or two.

If looking for bare minimum protection drying aid after every wash, SiO2 Waterless Wash or PROFI Detail Spray both seem good for that.

7. Likes DMiglio liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Dmiglio knows his stuff. .......
    Oh, great..... Now he's gonna make more NYC vs. CHI pizza comments.......
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

9. Likes DMiglio liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Oh, great..... Now he's gonna make more NYC vs. CHI pizza comments.......
    I pondered adding “...despite thinking deep dish is better than thin crust”, but realized I didn’t want to instigate another pizza thread... but now you gone and done it PaulMys.

11. Likes DMiglio, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dmiglio knows his stuff. There’s different ‘levels’ of toppers that could be used with WG Ceramic Spray Coating (CSC). Attempting to list them from most substantial to lightest:
    WG Uber SiO2 Silica Spray
    WG PROFI Booster
    WG SiO2 Maintenance Wash (not a topper but leaves a lot behind)
    WG PROFI Detailer Spray
    WG SiO2 Waterless Wash

Also I would not personally hesitate to top WG CSC with itself every month or two.

If looking for bare minimum protection drying aid after every wash, SiO2 Waterless Wash or PROFI Detail Spray both seem good for that.
    Appreciate the kind words, thank you!

I only just picked the WGCSC and have yet to use it and you’re far more knowledgeable than I am in these products.

Topping with itself(Ceramic Spray Coating) every few months, I would’ve never thought of that. What would your “reapplication” process look like?

I like the idea of using something light to top up after every wash, whether it’s on a coating, sealant or wax. Thanks for listing out some compatible maintenance PBMG products for the coating!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spewking View Post
    As I’m sure you know, even if you don’t get around to the coating before winter, a couple coats of WDGPS with little maintenance over the winter will get you through to spring. It really is a time tested solid product

Keep us up to date on what you do!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DMiglio View Post
    Topping with itself(Ceramic Spray Coating) every few months, I would’ve never thought of that. What would your “reapplication” process look like?
    If I were to top WG CSC with itself every month or two, I would use Reset as my main wash and wouldn’t worry much about the re-application. The product doesn’t apply finicky like a true coating lite, it reminds me PBL Surface Coating which Mike P. uses regularly as a topper on his PBL Paint Coating, with only a wash for prep.

Sure I wouldn’t be cleaning the surface from every and all contaminants and grime, but if the LSP is good, there shouldn’t be too much on there (I would probably do a mini-prep every 6-9 months though), and I’m guessing the product synergy with itself supports a successful bond.

I could be totally wrong but these are my thoughts based on the product feel and knowing PBMG very well.

Post Thanks / Like

If I were to top WG CSC with itself every month or two, I would use Reset as my main wash and wouldn’t worry much about the re-application. The product doesn’t apply finicky like a true coating lite, it reminds me PBL Surface Coating which Mike P. uses regularly as a topper on his PBL Paint Coating, with only a wash for prep.

Sure I wouldn’t be cleaning the surface from every and all contaminants and grime, but if the LSP is good, there shouldn’t be too much on there (I would probably do a mini-prep every 6-9 months though), and I’m guessing the product synergy with itself supports a successful bond.

I could be totally wrong but these are my thoughts based on the product feel and knowing PBMG very well.
    Simple enough! Thanks for the write up!

PBMG products were heavily discounted recently(2 or 3 weeks ago) not this past weekend and was able to pick up WG CSC for some $20. I figured it’s a steal and I love spray coatings, why not try just ooooone more haha.

I practice the same schedule of a light polish every 6-9 months to clean the surface and prep for winter(mainly to get strong LSP applied) or spring(enhance shine and paint color, apply LSP. I’m not sure how that’ll change now I’m in Florida, but looking forward to trying this process out.. I’ll have to stop myself from using any other toppers until I’m ready to use the WG CSC again.

To the OP hope you don’t feel I’ve derailed your thread and find this info helpful!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast