autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Washing with Microfibers?

On my own car, I only do rinseless washes, and I use ONR and the Big Red Sponge. No marring whatsoever. You do have to be careful to understand that you are "applying" the ONR, not scrubbing. I was quite reluctant to try the sponge, but it actually does work.

For customer's cars, I use microfiber mitts and two bucket method, but I am claying and polishing anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 91RS View Post
    The multiple wash mitts is an interesting idea along the same line. Are the Microfiber wash mitts washable in the washing machine? I guess that's the thing with the wash mitts I've been using is they can only be rinsed out not washed.
    Machine wash both my chenille (noodles) and other MF wash mitts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spazzz View Post
    HUH??
    What wash mitts do you use?

I use the Griots Chenille wash pads. Depending on how dirty the car is I use up to 8. Rinse and wring them out then wash in machine.
    This method is a no brainer compared to a 2 bucket.
    I linked them in the first post. I only use 1 and rinse it while washing. I those mitts come with a piece of paper that says not to machine wash them but I could be wrong.

4. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a Griots chenille wash mop. There are many variants of this available from many sources. I used to use a boar's hair brush but mine is getting worn out so tried the wash mop and liked the results.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Did you ever experience any wash marring when using the boar's hair brush?

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting discussion. I haven't tested the BRS, wash mitt, or MF to see how much they could scratch paint. For some reason I assume high quality, high density MFs are the least scratchy. This is based on how the look after I wash them vs. mitts which never seem to look 100% clean. It would be the MF are just better at hiding trapped dirt.

I know MFs can scratch paint. Saw this first hand when I used a Costco MF on a black Toyota 4Runner. I haven't seen any scratching from the Everest 800 towels I use for waterless. After countless car washes I can't see any visible dirt accumulation on these white towels.

I would be great if somebody with access to an adequate microscope could tell us what's going on inside MF that's seen a lot of dirt. I will say that while dirt does seem to stick to MF well, it likely sticks to soap better, which is why I suspect MFs are ok to use for waterless. I could be wrong.
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

8. Likes tmdals0213 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Someone with a microscope tested several kinds of mitts in a video on YouTube. I couldn't find the video again and hope it wasn't taken down. I think they said one of the varieties of MF mitts works best to repel dirt
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Caraman View Post
    Did you ever experience any wash marring when using the boar's hair brush?
    Never had any marring or swirls with the brush, ever. My cars are all pretty clean when I wash them as I wash them weekly as a form of Saturday exercise. I use Meg D110 or Optimum car wash (the blue goop that comes in gallons). Both feel very slick and I use deionized (distilled) spot free water because the tap water here is extremely hard (400-450 TDS). The spot free water is 0 TDS.

I think much of the marring FUD comes from people who don't have direct experience with a boars hair brush marring or swirling their paint. I did a lot of test spots with my cars and friends cars. The only thing I do is make sure the bucket shampoo is very slick. I'm guessing that if your water is hard it is not going to be slick and you can probably get marring from MF, too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RippyD View Post
    Interesting discussion. I haven't tested the BRS, wash mitt, or MF to see how much they could scratch paint. For some reason I assume high quality, high density MFs are the least scratchy. This is based on how the look after I wash them vs. mitts which never seem to look 100% clean. It would be the MF are just better at hiding trapped dirt.

I know MFs can scratch paint. Saw this first hand when I used a Costco MF on a black Toyota 4Runner. I haven't seen any scratching from the Everest 800 towels I use for waterless. After countless car washes I can't see any visible dirt accumulation on these white towels.

I would be great if somebody with access to an adequate microscope could tell us what's going on inside MF that's seen a lot of dirt. I will say that while dirt does seem to stick to MF well, it likely sticks to soap better, which is why I suspect MFs are ok to use for waterless. I could be wrong.
    I never had trouble with the newer bright yellow Costco MF. It is 360 GSM. The older 300 GSM was a bit harsh but the newer stuff works well on my paint. I retired mine because they got old and replaced them with 400GSM for normal use and 500GSM for buffing wax. I usually swap them out every 3-4 years because they do get tired after 50 wash cycles. I have used all kinds of detergent and now I use 3D Towel Kleen and vinegar for fabric softener.

As for glass I have dedicated 400GSM waffle weave that get washed separately.

12. Thanks PaulMys thanked for this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123