autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Washing with Microfibers?

In one of the recent live detailing videos Mike mentioned washing with Microfiber towels and using one per panel and then throwing them all in the wash after. This was very intriguing to me. I've been using the Koala Wash Mitt, wool wash mitt, best car wash mitt or Merino Wool MonsterMini Wash Mitt for about 10 years now and they work great but over time they do induce minimal marring to the paint. I use the two bucket method and a foam cannon. My question about the Microfiber method is how long do the cloths last before they need to be replaced? Is this method viable on a car that is "very" dirty? I usually wash my vehicles regularly enough that to normal people they aren't dirty but sometimes if it's going to rain all week or after a trip or something they can be what I could consider "very" dirty. Would dirt get caught in the Microfiber which would also cause marring to the paint?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Washing with Microfibers?

Define 'Very dirty'? For me that means the vehicle has been driven off paved roads, or has picked up something harmful from the road surface (salt, etc.).

I will sometimes use the 'bucket of towels' method, but it uses too many towels for my taste - fine if you don't mind doing detailing laundry often.
    I have switched to a microfiber wash pad similar to the Cobra XtraFluff MF Wash Mitt, but with no cuff (the one I use is not sold by AG).

I used the first one for over 2 years, and recently switched to a new one (passed the old one to a client to encourage him to rinseless wash his 911), and my new-from-the-dealer 2017 Accord has no swirls after using these mitts since new.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm never going to wash with microfibers. I just don't trust them for use as a wash media. It's multiple (6) mitts-either sheepskin or chenille- and a foam gun for me. If you wash with multiple mitts while dispensing the soapy water from the foam gun over the paint gently whisking with the Mitt, you'll get zero marring. This technique can be involved but it's worth it. It may take more than one try to get used to it.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

I go back and forth between nice microfiber towels specifically for wash duty and Griots microfiber wash pads (no cuff). I bought enough MF towels/wash pads that I can wash two times with each before needing to wash my MF towels. I have several types of MF towels so I have wash towels, buff towels, glass towels, wheel towels, etc. and I haven’t noticed any issues with using dedicated MF wash towels or MF wash pads (no cuffs). Then again, in the next week or two when the weather cooperates, I’m going to polish the paint again and put on a couple coats of BF Pro Ceramic Coating. I haven’t noticed any marring from MF towels but I’ll check with my Scangeip light before polishing and will report back.

Also, I used to use the two bucket method but have since swapped to a single bucket, single use wash towel/mitt per section. Now the second bucket is just where I throw the towels after washing a section. I use less soap and less water now and I feel the paint is even safer since a used towel never touches the car. Yes it was more expensive up front to buy so many towels/wash pads but I spent a heck of a lot more for my car and spend way too many hours trying to keep it pristine to worry about the cost or washing a load of towels every 2 weeks.

5. Thanks Jertronic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I only use MF towels for rinseless washes.

Otherwise, it's about 6-8 mitts with a regular wash.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

7. Likes tmdals0213 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that's the smartest way to go. I never use MF towels for washing. Strictly for wiping only.

Post Thanks / Like

What is the concern with microfiber and washing? Why use to dry/wipe but not wash? Are you worried the dirt won’t drop out of the microfiber? What about fresh and clean MF towels/pads? Sorry, just don’t understand the concern and why they are ok for a certain use but not for washing where there is great lubrication?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post
    What is the concern with microfiber and washing? Why use to dry/wipe but not wash? Are you worried the dirt won’t drop out of the microfiber? What about fresh and clean MF towels/pads? Sorry, just don’t understand the concern and why they are ok for a certain use but not for washing where there is great lubrication?
    MF towels grab everything they come in contact with. (Ever drop one on the ground??)

I do not trust them when washing a dirty vehicle the way I do a wash mitt that can trap dirt deep into the mitt, but can also release it when rinsed.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly right

Post Thanks / Like

And I’d trust a fresh, clean MF towel/pad more than a wash mitt and the two bucket method. But it is something I’ll monitor.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast