autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Glass Polishing -- Need help/recommendation!

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    You have a DA and rayon pads..get some Car Pro Ceriglass and give it another go around.

Do small sections (12X12) a lot of passes and keep it damp. You should be able to remove wiper marks and fine scratches using the above method.
    This is EXACTLY what I did last year on my M3's rear window. What I found is there is a sweet spot of water to heat when buffing. I found that only using a little water on the window and getting the pad nice and hot made a HUGE difference in the polishing. Before, I was using too much water and I was not getting the scratches out. Reduced the water allowed the pad to heat up better and polishing became more effective. I used the Ceriglass and DA pad from here.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    Griots glass polish has cerium oxide

I believe the rare earth oxcide on ingredients list is it. 2nd thing Griots Jr says on the video on products page

I have both and ceriglass isn’t much tougher. Just takes alot of time to basically polish down glass.

Ah... I just checked the website and that stuff is different from what I have. What they're selling now is 'Fine Glass Polish' and it's pink. The bottle I have just says 'Glass Polish' and it's white. I bought it a couple of years ago to get water spots off a Land Rover I was restoring, and it worked like a charm for that, but definitely doesn't have the bite for what I need it to do now.

I guess the new stuff is better.

3. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all, Guz, I am watching the video now, it’s a long one. Mike is the master

Post Thanks / Like

Jeeeeez. Had no idea how long that takes per quadrant (Mikes video).

Was going to take out some razor blade scratches on the back windshield of the Fiance's Volvo with my DA (I would imagine it would take twice as long!)....but after watching that video I may just find a pro and pay them to do it haha.

Edit:

And how did the car's back windsheild get all scratched up with a razor blade? My bad instruction is how haha.

The Fiance was 'razorblading' the glass to get it super clean before we applied sealant. I guess I didn't watch her well enough, she even used glass cleaner as lubricant...but I think her angle of the razorblade messed it up. My fault...

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Matador View Post
    Jeeeeez. Had no idea how long that takes per quadrant (Mikes video).

Was going to take out some razor blade scratches on the back windshield of the Fiance's Volvo with my DA (I would imagine it would take twice as long!)....but after watching that video I may just find a pro and pay them to do it haha.

Edit:

And how did the car's back windshield get all scratched up with a razor blade? My bad instruction is how ha ha.

The Fiance was 'razor blading' the glass to get it super clean before we applied sealant. I guess I didn't watch her well enough, she even used glass cleaner as lubricant...but I think her angle of the razor blade messed it up. My fault...

Thanks for sharing the above, don't feel bad - we all make mistakes.

After reading the above I want to add this,

For years, even decades I've seen all kinds of people and Internet EXPERTS recommend using razor blades, (not the plastic versions), and steel wool to clean glass. Yeah yeah yeah, I know, these experts recommend #000 and even #0000 steel wool.

Me? I don't care. I don't care how much of a case these guys can make for how safe it is - I don't push steel over glass. I've seen too many windshields in my life with scratching.

What I do is take the sage advice,

Use the least aggressive method

And lucky for me, I have the experience, the skill, the knowledge and the access to the things that will do what those recommending METAL ON GLASS will do BUT without using metal - either razor blades or steel wool.

Everyone can do as they will so I don't and won't argue with anyone. Go for it - use #0000 steel wool on your windshield to clean of whatever. But me? I'll simply machine polish with a clearcoat safe compound before I'll get that aggressive.

7. Thanks Matador thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know what the tint guy did to my window (he made a mess of the whole thing!), but using the Car Pro Ceriglass kit and a rayon pad took out 99% of it on my drivers side window (I stayed away from the very edge so you can still see a tiny bit.) It only took about 10min with a DA...

I want to do the whole windshield as its ~7yrs old now (2014) and would love to get it real nice looking, but haven't got the motivation yet to try lol...

Glass Polishing -- Need help/recommendation!-20190531_165803-jpg
    ·Ï¢årµ§·

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12