autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2011 WRX Paint Correction

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzle Chest View Post
    And just a tip: Subies have notoriously 'thin' clear, so tread carefully! A PTG is your friend!
    Just curious since iv'e never used one, how would a PTG help? Would it just guide pad and product selection ?

Post Thanks / Like

If it were me wanting to remove swirls, get the gloss up and then coat it. Id be looking at HyperPolish or Essence and would coat with Cquartz UK3.0. Almost guarantee that with a yellow Rupes pad, you’d get enough correction and refinement prior to coating.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWithASubie View Post
    Just curious since iv'e never used one, how would a PTG help? Would it just guide pad and product selection ?
    PTG means paint thickness gauge.
    Gives ya a rough idea of how much clear you're working with. Also can tell ya where panels have been resprayed or have filler/ body damage
    Ripping through your mind like a hurricane full of novocaine

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a very quick and sloppy example of how they come in handy and tell you a lot about what's going on.....

I see most here measure in mills, I myself prefer microns for it's a more precise measurement.
    1 mill = .001"
    25.4 microns = .001"
    25.4 microns = 1 mill

So what I do is take measurements from the door jams and underneath the hood where the bare minimum of paint is put down and on most American vehicles they don't even clear under the hood.

So in the first picture below you can see it's reading 35.5 microns under the hood of my Trans Am. That 35 microns is primer and base combined.

Then going to my rear quarter panel I'm getting readings of 99.8, we will just call it 100 microns. So 100 - 35 = 65 microns of clear roughly or around .0025" which is thin but relatively speaking it's healthy clear especially for a 22 year old car that is currently flawless.

Now if it jumps to say 320 microns on a certain panel or area you know something is up and inspect closer.

If it drops to say 50-70 microns, again inspect closely and tread lightly.

Hope that helps a bit....
    Ripping through your mind like a hurricane full of novocaine

5. Likes fly07sti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

On other Japanese cars with soft paint I've successfully used Meguiar's Ultimate Polish, DP Polish, Optimum Hyper Polish, Sonax 04-06, and Blackfire's Polish.

The Meguiars is OK, but the others produce a better shine. The DP product is really nice, but has a short work time and is a bit hard to remove in high humidity. I tend to go with the Hyper Polish because I think it has a touch more correction than the others and is nice to use.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

That's the issue, I know very little about any of the products out there and I'm interested in them all! I don't want to overdo it as others have pointed out with soft Subie paint, but i'm also not afraid to put some work in and try some stuff out to get the deep gloss look back to my car.
    For folks new to polishing starting with a full 'system' maybe the easier way to go - something like the Griot's Boss 3 pad/polish system, or the new Rupes DA 2 pad/polish system. The 'system' approach will get you good results, without the guess work of pad & polish choices. If you continue to do paint corrections down the road, you can buy other pads & polishes to work with and go down that rabbit hole like the rest of us!

8. Likes Bruno Soares, fly07sti, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mc2hill View Post
    For folks new to polishing starting with a full 'system' maybe the easier way to go - The 'system' approach will get you good results, without the guess work of pad & polish choices.
    Couldn't agree more!

When I was a newbie, it was the product/pad choices that had my head spinning.

It seemed the more I read, the more confused I became.

Starting with a system, you at least know that you aren't very far off base to start.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

10. Likes mc2hill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it could. If you have 'thin' areas, then you would choose a lighter pad/product combo as well as how many section passes/etc to do/use.
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you to everyone for the replies, the information you guys are giving me is awesome! @98CayenneT thank you for that write up and pictures, makes sense what you and @Sizzle Chest are saying.

I'm leaning towards the Pinnacle Swirl Removal Combo with an Orange Pad for the swirl removal and a blue pad for the finishing polish. That or the Wolfgang Swirl combo with same pads.

They Hyperpolish is intriguing, is that basically an AIO or would I need other product with that?

Also, is chemical decontamination something I should be doing prior to clay bar? It seems there's a lot of mixed opinions on that.

Post Thanks / Like

They Hyperpolish is intriguing, is that basically an AIO or would I need other product with that?
    Hyperpolish is just a polish. You'll need some sort of LSP to protect the paint after using it.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast