autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

2011 WRX Paint Correction

Hey all, I have a 2011 Subaru WRX, Dark gray metallic. I'm looking to do some moderate correction for swirls, a few deeper scratches and some bug pitting on the front of the hood.

In an introduction thread I got some great recommendations from a user for an AIO with a sealant after. I'm leaning towards a 2 step simply because I want the experience buffing and getting a feel for it all. I know I am going to get the GG G9 polisher with a 5" backing pad. Pads I will be buying CCS pads, probably orange and green(?). The other products I am very undecided on, every time I look at compounds and polishes I get too overwhelmed and can't make a decision, which is what brought me here.

The process I intend on following is

1. Wash (Meguiars Hyper wash)
    2. Clay Bar (Mothers Cali Gold)
    3. Polish - unkown product
    4. Finish- unknown
    5. Ceramic coat- unkown

So with that, any steps I should be adding? Product recommendations for the buffing? Thanks a ton!

James

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2011 WRX Paint Correction

In your steps what is the difference between "polish" and "finish".

I know you want to gain experience machine polishing, but don't use that as a reason to do more work on your car than you should. The really soft paint on a Subaru won't gain anything from using a more aggressive approach. A finishing polish on a medium pad should remove all but the worst damage. That is the beauty of soft paint. You can get it looking really good with very little effort! The only way I could imagine two-stepping, would be to use the finishing polish a second time and a very soft pad to try and amp up the shine even more, but I don't know if it would even be worth it.

Before applying a coating, but sure to wipe down the vehicle with a coating prep spray like CarPro Eraser. There are many to choose from, but it is an essential step to getting the most from a coating.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Can you post a picture of the damage you're trying to correct ?

Dr. Beasley NSP Z1 may be a aio product you want to check out especially if this is a daily driver.

Before

After
    Ripping through your mind like a hurricane full of novocaine

4. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWithASubie View Post
    Hey all, I have a 2011 Subaru WRX, Dark gray metallic. I'm looking to do some moderate correction for swirls, a few deeper scratches and some bug pitting on the front of the hood.

In an introduction thread I got some great recommendations from a user for an AIO with a sealant after. I'm leaning towards a 2 step simply because I want the experience buffing and getting a feel for it all. I know I am going to get the GG G9 polisher with a 5" backing pad. Pads I will be buying CCS pads, probably orange and green(?). The other products I am very undecided on, every time I look at compounds and polishes I get too overwhelmed and can't make a decision, which is what brought me here.

The process I intend on following is

1. Wash (Meguiars Hyper wash)
    2. Clay Bar (Mothers Cali Gold)
    3. Polish - unkown product
    4. Finish- unknown
    5. Ceramic coat- unkown

So with that, any steps I should be adding? Product recommendations for the buffing? Thanks a ton!

James
    Welcome and enjoy the learning curve as it's certainly fun.

Good news is the Subi's are easy to correct. Product is key but I would suggest a light polishing or AIO pad. Green is good for what you are doing.

Product wise, there are a ton of really good ones out there. The only one I use and know well that might give you a slight issue on soft paint is Meg's D156. Otherwise it's outstanding. HDSpeed is really good, Sonax Paint cleaner is really good and Blackfire AIO is great too.

If you're looking at a ceramic avoid the tradition AIO's. Use something like a CarPro Essence and then their coatings or a GYEON Primer and their coatings. Both are AIO's too but lay down a base that is compatible with their coatings. However, I wouldn't use them wait 6 weeks then try and apply a coating. If that makes sense.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

What products are you interested in?

Post Thanks / Like

And just a tip: Subies have notoriously 'thin' clear, so tread carefully! A PTG is your friend!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

8. Likes PaulMys, fly07sti, Craig Encinitas, Loach liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    In your steps what is the difference between "polish" and "finish".
    I suppose I was thinking the polishing step was the compound or swirl remover and the finishing would be whatever finish compound and soft pad.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 98CayenneTA View Post
    Can you post a picture of the damage you're trying to correct ?

Dr. Beasley NSP Z1 may be a aio product you want to check out especially if this is a daily driver.

Wow that looks like amazing results. I haven't been able to capture the defects the way I want, next time i'm in the garage ill try and get some better pictures.

And yes, it is my daily but I want to get it as nice as possible and then coat it and maintain it more going forward.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    Welcome and enjoy the learning curve as it's certainly fun.

Good news is the Subi's are easy to correct. Product is key but I would suggest a light polishing or AIO pad. Green is good for what you are doing.

Product wise, there are a ton of really good ones out there. The only one I use and know well that might give you a slight issue on soft paint is Meg's D156. Otherwise it's outstanding. HDSpeed is really good, Sonax Paint cleaner is really good and Blackfire AIO is great too.

If you're looking at a ceramic avoid the tradition AIO's. Use something like a CarPro Essence and then their coatings or a GYEON Primer and their coatings. Both are AIO's too but lay down a base that is compatible with their coatings. However, I wouldn't use them wait 6 weeks then try and apply a coating. If that makes sense.
    Yeah I see what you're saying. Is there something I should be looking for that ISNT in a particular AIO so I can coat? I.e. "Product A contains no x ingredient"

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    What products are you interested in?
    That's the issue, I know very little about any of the products out there and I'm interested in them all! I don't want to overdo it as others have pointed out with soft Subie paint, but i'm also not afraid to put some work in and try some stuff out to get the deep gloss look back to my car.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast