autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Water spots from si02 wash on ceramic coating!?!

Hello all. My 4Runner is coated with Wolfgang's Profi ceramic coating. I decided to do a simple hand wash today and used Wolfgang's uber sio2 soap which I've used before. I waited until our driveway was shaded as we live in Colorado and the lack of humidity makes washing vehicles impossible in sunlight. The vehicles paint was cool as it had been sitting in the garage all morning. As I'm drying it off I notice water spots all over it, most noticeably on the glass but I have spots all over the plastic trim and painted body panels too. I've tried stoner window cleaner and si02 detail spray with no luck. Any recommendations on what to try next? The vehicle is coated with Wolfgang profi ceramic coating. Thank you for your time!

Edit. I've also tried rewashing the vehicle in the garage and distilled white vinegar with no luck

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Water spots from si02 wash on ceramic coating!?!-img_1576-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Water spots from si02 wash on ceramic coating!?!

I doubt if the soap did the water spotting. Did you keep the car wet while rinsing? Another reason could be it was already there before washing.

Try a water spot remover made for ceramic coatings. Car Pro makes one called Spotless.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    I doubt if the soap did the water spotting. Did you keep the car wet while rinsing? Another reason could be it was already there before washing.

Try a water spot remover made for ceramic coatings. Car Pro makes one called Spotless.

Definitely weren't there prior to washing. Yes, kept the paint wet as I could, it can be a challenge here in Colorado as water basically evaporate immediately. I worked fast and immediately pulled it in the garage. I'll check out the carpro suggestion.

Post Thanks / Like

Try a panel wipe on them. Those water spot removers can kill the hydrophobic water behavior. Perhaps even try vinegar and water and see if that does anything.

5. Likes TTQ B4U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Try a panel wipe on them. Those water spot removers can kill the hydrophobic water behavior. Perhaps even try vinegar and water and see if that does anything.
    I had some wolfgang paint prep that came in the profi ceramic kit I tried and no luck. I just tried distilled vinegar with no results as well

Post Thanks / Like

Might seem crazy, but try washing those areas again with the Si02 wash. Just playing on the idea of “like dissolves like.”

Possibly wash and dry section by section? Or mix up as a waterless wash with distilled water and very small amount of product, spray on, rinse off and dry?
    Alumni Autogeek's first ever Roadshow Detailing Class Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DMiglio View Post
    Might seem crazy, but try washing those areas again with the Si02 wash. Just playing on the idea of “like dissolves like.”

Possibly wash and dry section by section? Or mix up as a waterless wash with distilled water and very small amount of product, spray on, rinse off and dry?
    I actually tried re-washing the whole vehicle in the garage using the sio2 wash with no results. Very frustrating.

Post Thanks / Like

How about undiluted wash on a damp towel?

Last resort is to polish and recoat those areas.

Post Thanks / Like

I have run into this with Hydrofoam from CarPro. Had it happen on a few different vehicles also. All vehicles were cool and rinsed very well. After a couple washes with Reset, the spots/smears are gone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    How about undiluted wash on a damp towel?

Last resort is to polish and recoat those areas.
    I’ll give that a try. Yea trying to avoid doing any polish or re-coating. Seems like so much time down the drain.

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post
    I have run into this with Hydrofoam from CarPro. Had it happen on a few different vehicles also. All vehicles were cool and rinsed very well. After a couple washes with Reset, the spots/smears are gone.
    Interesting. It’s like the sio2 in the wash stains on the coating.

I took a couple more pics. You can really see it in the shade. I made a little progress with it. I tried some distilled vinegar and a mf towel but had to put a ton of pressure and basically buff the spots out. I even noticed I had some soap on the driveway from when the bottle tipped over and rolled. I used a coarse brush to scrub the spots but they are even still there. Looks almost like oil drips.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast