autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mike Phillips

Re: Water spots from si02 wash on ceramic coating!?!

Quote Originally Posted by MountainBound View Post

Hello all.

My 4Runner is coated with Wolfgang's Profi ceramic coating. I decided to do a simple hand wash today and used Wolfgang's uber sio2 soap which I've used before.
    Good stuff. I was going to write an article about this product this week.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainBound View Post

I waited until our driveway was shaded as we live in Colorado and the lack of humidity makes washing vehicles impossible in sunlight. The vehicles paint was cool as it had been sitting in the garage all morning. As I'm drying it off I notice water spots all over it, most noticeably on the glass but I have spots all over the plastic trim and painted body panels too. I've tried stoner window cleaner and si02 detail spray with no luck.

Any recommendations on what to try next?

The vehicle is coated with Wolfgang profi ceramic coating. Thank you for your time!

Edit. I've also tried rewashing the vehicle in the garage and distilled white vinegar with no luck

If it is in fact the car wash soap or the SOLIDS in the car wash soap that are on the surface of the paint and glass - kind of just goes to show this wash is the real deal.

Not good in that it's leaving spots or stains on you coating though.

I'll send the link to this thread to Andre - he's more intimately knowledgeable about these products than I am.

Mike Phillips

For those reading this into the future,

A: Be sure to dilute this product accurately. Don't overuse or use the "glug-glug" method of measuring.

B: Be sure to dry immediately.

C: Do not wash in a hot environment - hot car or in the sun.

3. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    For those reading this into the future,

A: Be sure to dilute this product accurately. Don't overuse or use the "glug-glug" method of measuring.

B: Be sure to dry immediately.

C: Do not wash in a hot environment - hot car or in the sun.

I agree with Mike

Sounds like the culprit was the heat in Colorado. If the water is evaporating almost immediately, then the silica isn't being rinsed off fast enough and is therefore drying on the surface causing the stains. If you had re-washed the vehicle again and it had not caused even MORE spotting than you originally had, then obviously something from the first wash caused the issue to begin with. My best guess is the heat and water evaporating too quickly. That shampoo is highly concentrated and as Mike stated before, it actually leaves a significant amount of silica protection behind which is a good thing, just doesn't play well with heat unfortunately.

I would also recommend using a coating wash like the Reset as it will help strip off the dried up silica stains after several washes. Worst case scenario, the stains will go away over time on their own as well once the silica wears out (typically a couple months tops). If you plan on using that shampoo, I would just be really cautious with the heat and if it's too much at the time, just use a different soap that has no silica in it. When done on a nice cool surface out of sunlight, it does add an amazing amount of hydrophobic properties and gloss! Thanks Jason
    Autogeek R&D
    andre@autogeek.net

5. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes Thomkirby, Craig Encinitas liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12