autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Black Plastic Trim

I got a wrangler a few weeks ago. I have always had trucks but never a jeep. I can't get over the amount of black plastic on this thing. Handles, flare edges, hood to name a few.

Paint is sealed with SiO2. I really like it so far. I have used the 3.0 for 10 plus years but I'm really liking the SiO2. For now I have been just using it weekly after wash o the trim along with paint.

I'm wondering if there is something else I can use to give me protection so it doesn't start to dull. nothing worse than dull black plastic.

Can I get some ideas from you guys on what you all like and have used over the years.

I know there is the 303 protectant. A lot of jeep guys use this with some really liking it and others not as much it seems.

Thanks so much everyone.

jim

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Black Plastic Trim

i have really liked this...
    Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Surface Coating, paint coating, nano glass paint coating

i have done the trim on several cars with this product...some of which are holding up very well after very long times. this GMC was done in early 2018. this probably isnt the best product for trim, nor does this truck have the amount a jeep does. But the areas that have been coated, look like new to this day after weekly washings since applied.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Black Plastic Trim-img_04321-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

CarPro Dlux or Gyeon Trim will keep it looking great for a long time.
    Bruno Soares

4. Likes DFB, DMiglio, TTQ B4U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have used various short term dressings for black plastic trim including 303, Perl and Reload.

Wanting to try something new, I added DLUX to my Mustang and Ranger's black trims.

I like how it enhances and protects without looking overly glossy.

6. Likes DMiglio liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I really like the look of 303 but must admit I have always been let down by the durability of it.

For trim that’s brand new or like new, I’d pick up a coating. CarPro Dlux or Gyeon Trim are great options.

I’m not sure how much would be left after doing the plastics on the Jeep, but Dlux can be used on wheels too, maybe coat the faces or barrels for easier cleaning down the road?
    Alumni Autogeek's first ever Roadshow Detailing Class Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

Post Thanks / Like

I use 303 on the interior and exterior plastics. When the plastic has a texture, I put on a rubber glove and either spray the trim or the glove. I then rub the 303 "into" the plastic. I leave it on for about 30 minutes (not in direct sun) and then wipe it off. I find it gets into the texture this way and also leave more product for protection (why wipe away 99% of what is applied). It will wash off under any wash but this is one thing I like about it, any dirt stuck to it will wash right off as well.

I recently started to use DLUX. I really love the stuff but it has its place and places you don't want to use it. I find that it _will_ leave a shine on anything it is applies to. So don't use it on mat looking trim. What I've found works for me is to apply it, wait 10 minutes and then _super lightly_ drag a MF or suede rag over it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DMiglio View Post
    I really like the look of 303 but must admit I have always been let down by the durability of it.

For trim that’s brand new or like new, I’d pick up a coating. CarPro Dlux or Gyeon Trim are great options.

I’m not sure how much would be left after doing the plastics on the Jeep, but Dlux can be used on wheels too, maybe coat the faces or barrels for easier cleaning down the road?
    Something that doesn't often get said about 303 is the lack scent. I like that I can use it on my interiors without leaving them smelling like a bubble gum factory. My 2008 and 2014 Falcon's still smells new because of it.

10. Likes DMiglio liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    Something that doesn't often get said about 303 is the lack scent. I like that I can use it on my interiors without leaving them smelling like a bubble gum factory. My 2008 and 2014 Falcon's still smells new because of it.
    Very true, 303 is great for interiors and engine bay plastics. Durability isn’t so much an issue in those areas and leaves a very nice finish.
    Alumni Autogeek's first ever Roadshow Detailing Class Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

12. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Guys if I use something like dlux or similar can I not use sponge and towel. I’m thinking of handles and other surfaces. You can’t really use the sponge. You need something that can bend and shape around tight corners or areas sponge can’t fit. Can I use a glove or just a regular microfiber towel?

Also I use sio2 to seal my paint. Can I have used that on black plastic? Or will it discolor the black like a wax will sometimes?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jimim View Post
    Guys if I use something like dlux or similar can I not use sponge and towel. I’m thinking of handles and other surfaces. You can’t really use the sponge. You need something that can bend and shape around tight corners or areas sponge can’t fit. Can I use a glove or just a regular microfiber towel?

Also I use sio2 to seal my paint. Can I have used that on black plastic? Or will it discolor the black like a wax will sometimes?

Thanks!
    For intricate areas, I used the suede applicator cloth without the applicator block (sponge). Make-up applicators are great for getting into grills too.

You can use a Si02 on black plastic, I used Reload a few times and got good results.

15. Likes DMiglio, PaulMys, mwoywod liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast