autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Topping for CQuartz UK 3.0

So now that I've applied this coating (it was the end of July when I did), what can be used after a wash to add a sacrificial layer on top of the CQ UK? In theory, you can you use virtually anything, right?

I've heard of a couple of CarPro products that can be used, but I believe some members of this site gravitate towards some more than others.

Just wondering what you guys use to top things off these days. So far I've been very pleased with the look and behavior of the CQ UK, it's been a real head-turner. The best part? Even my wife now recognizes what other cars appear to have been polished or corrected!

2. Dislikes Rsurfer disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Topping for CQuartz UK 3.0

Elixir would be my choice. You don't need to use that every wash, get Ech2o and dilute it 1:20 to use as drying aid, and then every few washes use Elixir.
    Bruno Soares

4. Likes The Guz, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    Elixir would be my choice. You don't need to use that every wash, get Ech2o and dilute it 1:20 to use as drying aid, and then every few washes use Elixir.
    I use this exact solution on two of my three cars and another family member's car which all wear either UK v2.0 or v3.0.

I've used Elixr on an unprotected portion of my wife's car (long story) and found it showed characteristics of protection for nearly a month. I was pretty surprised.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

6. Likes Bruno Soares, The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have used:

Wowo’s Showstopper
    TACsystem Shinee Wax
    P&S Beadmaker

Plan on using:
    Reload (read mixed reviews on it)
    Elixir
    Ech2O

Good times in the world of toppers. Topping for CQuartz UK 3.0

8. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Encinitas View Post
    I have used:

Wowo’s Showstopper
    TACsystem Shinee Wax
    P&S Beadmaker

Plan on using:
    Reload (read mixed reviews on it)
    Elixir
    Ech2O

Good times in the world of toppers. Topping for CQuartz UK 3.0
    Wowos Showstopper, how long the gloss last?

Shinee Wax conrains SiO2? According to a site in Canada it does.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gorillapr View Post
    Wowos Showstopper, how long the gloss last?
    Max gloss on day 1 and drops rather quick. By mid week the gloss is not there from it.

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    Best options right here.

11. Thanks gorillapr thanked for this post
    Likes gorillapr, Desertnate liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Polish Angel Cosmic for me. Going to try High Gloss. Kamikaze Overcoat also nice.

Not wanting to drop significant coin I like Shine Supply Clutch and Griots 3-1 is the most underrated product out their in my opinion.

I use my Meguiars Ceramic detailer or homemade “Elixer” (credit to Merlin). I personally mix 2oz of Ech20 and 1oz of inexpensive sio2 spray with distilled water in a 32oz bottle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

My personal advice would be to use Kamikaze Infinity wax and skip all the spray stuff. Add on Infinity wax every two month or so, and you'll be fine.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Post Thanks / Like

I usually don't get involved in forum discussions because most of them inevitably turn into an "I'm right, you're wrong" argument but this one seems civil and I can contribute with experiences of UK3.0..

In the coating game, it's all about durability/longevity vs ease of application. A spray "topper" is much easier and less time to apply but it wont last as long as the hand applied stuff like UK3.0, TiO2,Gliss etc. I am the type that would rather take the extra time on the front end and put something on that will last longer. I am partial to CarPro products so take this from that perspective.

Their reload is a good spray on but, like any other spray on, it won't give you the longevity of a hand applied wipe on. I really need to try Elixir.

I have done a comparison test of Gliss vs the Cquartz TiO2 version. They both exhibited very similar contact angle and slickness. But, per the data provided, Gliss is 12months whereas the TiO2 is 18+ months. Without some exhaustive scientific test, I would swear they were the same product from a water droplet and slick feel standpoint. I started years back with my personal cars using the TiO2 and got 2 years out of it with proper washing and care techniques. Side note: care and maintenance is key. No coating will perform as expected without good care habits. If you can trash clear coat, ceramic is no miracle juice. Also note, there is a distinct slickness difference between TiO2 and UK3.0 BUT the TiO2 doesn't have as good of longevity as the UK3.0. The UK3.0 is rated at 2 years. So, here is where I stray a bit and have a couple of different methods.

If its a customer with a daily driver, I suggest 2 coats of UK3.0 with reload. The UK3.0 is just more durable. Then, I teach them how to properly wash and care for it. My wash and care process includes EH2O and Reset.

If it is a toy or show car, I suggest UK3.0 topped with TiO2 (not Gliss). This gives a very durable first coat and a a pretty durable slick topper that they don't have to reapply as often. It doesn't hurt to use Reload here either. It's just another layer. Same wash and care process.

Of course there are variations of this once you explain the differences to the customer and if they want to pay more for some other combination or additional coats great. In the end, it's all about time and longevity when making your decision.

Good luck

15. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great, thanks so much guys, tons of useful information here.

This is for my daily driver which, under normal circumstances, typically gets about 44-50 miles per day. So far it's been a lot of fun taking a hose to it and just watching the water fly off. Here in New England the roads can get pretty grimy after a snowstorm, so I'm curious to see how the coating will last after a winter.

I need to make it a habit of being diligent with cleaning it during that time, which won't be a problem. My last vehicle probably wasn't washed at all for the last 7 years of it's life. And I'm not even kidding about that. The years of neglect took a toll on it, and the rear quarter panels were starting to rust quite a bit. One of these toppers will go a looooooong way for me, I'm sure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast