autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coating Flash Times —- Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Encinitas View Post
    Just curious how it will diminish down over the coming months (year).
    If you used any kind of quality coating, it won't, it will be there for a LONG time.
    Ripping through your mind like a hurricane full of novocaine

2. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Coating Flash Times —- Confused

That’s why I left it there.

It won’t last forever.
    Cquartz UK3.0
    I’ll take a photo of it later.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    I have a bad feeling I left too much “oily” coating residue during wipe off due to trying before the flash was fully dry. I was hoping the residue would self level but I can still see it with swirl finder light. I’ll see how bad it looks when I get it in the sun. Pretty worried right now.
    It will go away on the first wash Don't panic.

^
    CarPro Essence or Essence+ with a light abrasive pad can remove high spots.

My car has one above the passenger door handle. You have to look from a specific angle with the proper lighting to see it (which is how it was missed). Just curious how it will diminish down over the coming months (year).
    Only works if the coating is fresh. After that it is an abrasive polish.

5. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That’s why I left it there.

It won’t last forever.
    Cquartz UK3.0
    I’ll take a photo of it later.
    Got ya, ya I have one on my Trans Am that has been there a while that I have just left lol just cause. Kinda helps inform people also when quoting vehicle's and informing people.
    Ripping through your mind like a hurricane full of novocaine

7. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

With some of these coatings if you apply them thick you think you've wiped it off and a spot or two will appear later. You can always go over the spot later with a QD to remove any solvents or carriers.

9. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I just checked my newly coated black Q5 in the sun and there are a few areas that appear lightly streaked. Most likely high spots that won’t come out. I regret thinking I could do this in my garage without making mistakes. Luckily the two worst ones are on the front drivers side rocker panel which is small (and was the area with probably worst lighting). The other ‘smears’ I might decide to live with as I’m probably the only one who will consistently be depressed by them.

I can almost guarantee these happened on the second coat I did a week after the first. I didn’t see any of these hazy areas after the first coat in the sun. I think I must have been sloppy on coat 2.

Between this and losing my fabled Detailing Spreadsheet file (hard drive failure) where I document everything I’ve done in the last year and every thought I’ve had, I’m pretty sad about detailing right now. My latest backup was a year ago.

Sorry to cry.

Post Thanks / Like

^
    Here’s the deal, just like a completely filthy older car that has never been detailed; Vehicle finishes can be corrected, and ceramic coatings can be removed and reapplied if need be. It’s not permanent. And even though the result is not what you hoped for, it is a learning experience.

Sounds like black not only shows paint imperfections easily, it shows coating imperfections as well. My car being white, probably has a few high spots, but I have only found that one.

Something that goes through my mind is, what if I wake up one day and I don’t want the ceramic coating on my car anymore? I’ve applied a few, but have never removed one. Would a mild polish be enough to remove a top-coat of Gliss and two coats of UK3.0?

Mentally picturing three distinct layers. And that’s probably not how it works.

Post Thanks / Like

^
    Here’s the deal, just like a completely filthy older car that has never been detailed; Vehicle finishes can be corrected, and ceramic coatings can be removed and reapplied if need be. It’s not permanent. And even though the result is not what you hoped for, it is a learning experience.

Sounds like black not only shows paint imperfections easily, it shows coating imperfections as well. My car being white, probably has a few high spots, but I have only found that one.

Something that goes through my mind is, what if I wake up one day and I don’t want the ceramic coating on my car anymore? I’ve applied a few, but have never removed one. Would a mild polish be enough to remove a top-coat of Gliss and two coats of UK3.0?

Mentally picturing three distinct layers. And that’s probably not how it works.
    Yes, mild polish and polishing pad will remove all 3 layers, no issues. The coating is very thin. There will always be some left behind because the coating entered the valleys of the paint and might not be touched when polishing which is only abrading the upper portion but it’s safe to consider the coating removed at that point.
    Bruno Soares

13. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest to visually watch it. I always apply over a quarter of a door or something like that, then I look for the rainbow flash. Once I see the rainbow flash, I start to wipe. That's the best way to apply CQuartz UK. I did mine in the summer time and watched for the rainbow, and was waiting around 30 seconds or so roughly before I wiped.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123