autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Coating Flash Times —- Confused

I really like using coatings and encourage those who have not tried them so do so...really have not encountered any difficulties in application.

However, I am challenged to identify the correct “flashing time” required between application and wipe off. I realize if I wipe off too soon, it won’t bond well. if too long of a dwell time, it’s difficult to remove. The CQUK 3.0 instructions and overall advice is to remove 2-5 minutes after application, visualizing the “rainbow” reflection to indicate flashing is occurring/is complete. Having the coating “grab” the removal suede MF is another indicator that the coating is completely flashed.

My challenge is that at the 2-5 minute mark, the coating has flashed (rainbowed) but still feels like it is not complete. I can rub my finger across it and it feels slick and wet and certainly has no grab to it. So I have continued to allow it to flash out to the 15-20 minute range. I can remove fairly easily while still feeling some grab. I am aware of the impact temp and humidity can have, but have this same situation confront me after several applications in different conditions.

Can you provide some insight? Would much rather remove at the 2-5 minute mark, but i am not sure it is ready.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coating Flash Times —- Confused

You are correct that temp ad humidity is a factor. CarPro also states air movement and how thick the coating is applied.

Here are the full instructions from CarPro's site

Finding the right time to "level" (wipe off) excess coating after it flashes:

• Start with a single 2ft x 2ft test section to determine flash time before applying coating to entire vehicle. Flash time will vary depending on temperature, humidity, air movement, paint type, how thick it is applied, and more.
    • If coating is applied thick then the coating will take longer to flash. If applied thin it will flash faster. Hot temps will cause it to flash faster, cold temps will cause it to flash slower. Air movement will cause it to flash faster.
    • When it starts to flash you will see colors that will make the coating look like a rainbow or oil slick. You will see hints of blue, purple, red, and yellow.
    • Remove too soon and it will be oily with no grab to it when wiping. If you wipe off too soon it will not give the coating a chance to bond.
    • Remove too late and it becomes hard to remove.
    • The time to remove is when you feel just a little push back or "grab" against your towel but it is not difficult to remove and it is no longer oily. It may leave some streaks at first but with the second wipe of a fresh clean side of the towel, the streaks should wipe off and the paint should be nice and clear.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guz. Agreed—I do follow those instructions, including on a freshly polished vehicle with Eraser prior. I don’t think I am putting it on too thick as a 30ml bottle is sufficient for my midsized Acura MDX SUV.

I’ve literally used my IPhone stop watch on the initial test spot to get the 15-20 minute target time frame, and then used that for the first few sections...and wiped finger on those sections and got the same feedback, so this longer time frame seemed to be the best. This is just so different than the instructions I wondered if I was overthinking or over cautious.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are leaving Cquartz U.k 3.0 on for 15- 20 min and still able to wipe it off, something is not right.
    Ripping through your mind like a hurricane full of novocaine

5. Likes BudgetPlan1, Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You're not the first I hear that can wait that long and still remove it nicely. Either you're in a very low humidity place and fairly cool as well or I don't know what. For me it always seems to be around the time they have on the instructions, 2 minutes or so and it's a nice rainbow and ready to be wiped off. If it's hot and humid then it's only enough to do that 2x2' area. If it's cool, then I can extend it to a whole panel, sometimes 2, before I go back and start wiping it off.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

Cayenne — I use the carpro suede mfs to remove, and while it is mildly grabby and takes a little pressure To remove, I have no high spots that remain.

Bsoares— I’m in St. Louis where it can get hot and humid. Seem to have this same pattern of extended time (with a few minutes of variation) regardless of weather.

I’ve wondered if the extra time I perceive is needed really adds no value, eg it’s fully cured in 2-5 minutes and the additional time does nothing? At 2-5 minutes, it still feels wet and easy to wipe so I am concerned about going ahead at that point.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 98CayenneTA View Post
    If you are leaving Cquartz U.k 3.0 on for 15- 20 min and still able to wipe it off, something is not right.
    I concur, if we're talking about this time of year. In cool humid conditions I wouldn't be surprised at all. Last fall I applied CQUK 3.0 on a friends car in humid 60F-ish temperatures. It was taking 15 mintues to flash, let alone wipe off. I used less than 15ml on the mid-sized car, so I'm sure we weren't applying it to thick.

Quote Originally Posted by spewking View Post
    Bsoares— I’m in St. Louis where it can get hot and humid. Seem to have this same pattern of extended time (with a few minutes of variation) regardless of weather.

I’ve wondered if the extra time I perceive is needed really adds no value, eg it’s fully cured in 2-5 minutes and the additional time does nothing? At 2-5 minutes, it still feels wet and easy to wipe so I am concerned about going ahead at that point.
    I too am in the St. Louis area, but on the Illinois side where it tends to be even more humid. I never go as long as you're talking about unless it is conditions like I faced last November. I wouldn't be able to remove the product if I went more than 3~4 minutes in regular conditions. About a month ago when we had that really big cold front move through, I coated my neighbors Jag F-Pace with CQUK 3.0. It was waiting about 1~2.5 minutes for flashing and to remove. Once the applied area was fully flashed, I went a head and removed it. Rather than going by how grabby it might appear I go by whether it smears when I buff off. If it starts to smear, I stop. If it doesn't, I continue to lightly buff it off. If I can tell the area is fully flashed, I normally don't have any smearing problems.

I'm still a huge fan of the CQuartz coatings, but I think v3.0 has taking the flash times a bit too far. So much, so it really slows down how quickly you can work. v2.0 seemed to have a flash time right about 1 minute in most conditions which was plenty to apply, let it fash, and then buff off. v3.0 takes me twice as long, if not longer to coat a car.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Desertnate — thanks. Maybe the smearing idea is the right one. I clearly see the rainbow and have a good idea that it’s flashing like it should, it just seems like it wipes off too easy even at 4-5 minutes. Maybe the grabby idea has led me astray, and I’m too concerned with taking it off too soon before bonding has occurred.

Post Thanks / Like

The coating bonds in the first few seconds. The time you’re playing with to remove is just to find the easiest way for you to do it, it won’t remove the solids from the coating. When you see it rainbow, good to go. If it smears a lot, then wait longer. If it’s sticky, then wipe sooner.
    Bruno Soares

11. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I concur, if we're talking about this time of year. In cool humid conditions I wouldn't be surprised at all. Last fall I applied CQUK 3.0 on a friends car in humid 60F-ish temperatures. It was taking 15 mintues to flash, let alone wipe off. I used less than 15ml on the mid-sized car, so I'm sure we weren't applying it to thick.

I too am in the St. Louis area, but on the Illinois side where it tends to be even more humid. I never go as long as you're talking about unless it is conditions like I faced last November. I wouldn't be able to remove the product if I went more than 3~4 minutes in regular conditions. About a month ago when we had that really big cold front move through, I coated my neighbors Jag F-Pace with CQUK 3.0. It was waiting about 1~2.5 minutes for flashing and to remove. Once the applied area was fully flashed, I went a head and removed it. Rather than going by how grabby it might appear I go by whether it smears when I buff off. If it starts to smear, I stop. If it doesn't, I continue to lightly buff it off. If I can tell the area is fully flashed, I normally don't have any smearing problems.

I'm still a huge fan of the CQuartz coatings, but I think v3.0 has taking the flash times a bit too far. So much, so it really slows down how quickly you can work. v2.0 seemed to have a flash time right about 1 minute in most conditions which was plenty to apply, let it fash, and then buff off. v3.0 takes me twice as long, if not longer to coat a car.

If it’s taking that long for it too flash then work larger areas and you can finish quicker.

22ple coatings have a 5 minute or so window and one can work larger areas and finish quicker.

13. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes Bruno Soares, Craig Encinitas liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast