autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

WG Uber compound or what, and what pad combo for really hard paint?

Hi guys,

Looking for a MF or maybe wool pad reccomendation or to match wtih WG Uber compound, for super duper hard, black Audi paint.

Orrrr...do you have another compound that's comparable to WG Uber (and maybe cheaper? ).

Thanks in advance gentlemen!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: WG Uber compound or what, and what pad combo for really hard paint?

I have not used that compound so I am not sure how well it cuts.

If you are looking for a microfiber pad I would look at the Meguiar's or Lake Country pads. If you are looking for a wool pad then the Rupes wool pad would be a good option. The yellow one for sure is nice and the blue wool will cut just as good as a microfiber pad.

I prefer Sonax Cut Max for a compound. M110 and 3D ACA would be right behind it.

Post Thanks / Like

What polisher are you using?

Given the fact that I've owned several German cars and 50% of my details are German cars, I'll give you my take. CarPro Clear Cut on a wool pad for a forced Oscillation unit like the flex or microfiber for a standard DA. Follow it up with CarPro Essence on a Orange light cut Lake Country pad and you'll be golden.

Lots of options but I do this a lot and the above is a perfect combo. You'll see another Shown and Shine post tonight featuring a full correction on a 9yr old BMW 335D and honestly I didn't even need to compound it.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

4. Likes Matador liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I have not used that compound so I am not sure how well it cuts.

If you are looking for a microfiber pad I would look at the Meguiar's or Lake Country pads. If you are looking for a wool pad then the Rupes wool pad would be a good option. The yellow one for sure is nice and the blue wool will cut just as good as a microfiber pad.

I prefer Sonax Cut Max for a compound. M110 and 3D ACA would be right behind it.
    Lake Country pads huh? Hmmm... Thanks for the advice on that and Sonax Max cut. May have to look into this.

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    What polisher are you using?

Given the fact that I've owned several German cars and 50% of my details are German cars, I'll give you my take. CarPro Clear Cut on a wool pad for a forced Oscillation unit like the flex or microfiber for a standard DA. Follow it up with CarPro Essence on a Orange light cut Lake Country pad and you'll be golden.

Lots of options but I do this a lot and the above is a perfect combo. You'll see another Shown and Shine post tonight featuring a full correction on a 9yr old BMW 335D and honestly I didn't even need to compound it.
    I have the older BOSS 21, with 5.5 inch adapter. How does the CarPro clear cut finish? I've used FG400, and love all menz products...but it did not do enough for my liking with the super hard Audi Phantom Black paint!

Instead of wasting my time wtih trying to make that and my menz MF pads work, I thought it time to step my game up and get a tougher kick butt option compound.

Also, what MF pads would you reccomend? My Menz ones are getting old and figure it's time to try a new brand for the heck of it lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Clear cut is good. I just don't like the amount of dust it creates which is why I don't use it. I prefer compounds with almost zero dust which is why I like Cut Max. It has zero dust.

7. Likes Matador, DUBL0WS6 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How does cut max finish? That's why I love FG400, in some instances it would be sealant ready in 1 step.

Or is Cutmax always need to be be finished with a 2 step?

Post Thanks / Like

I know this is not the answer you want to hear but it depends on the paint harness. Softer paints will probably need a refinement after while harder paints it finishes pretty darn well.

10. Likes Matador liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks man. That says everything.

Post Thanks / Like

If you're gonna compound, I learned over the years that Meguiars Cutting pads or the X-Cutting pads are great. As long as the compound is good quality, it doesn't necessarily matter if that makes sense. I agree with Guz, Sonax liquids are the most pleasant I've used so far. I always end up going back to it.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

13. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I received your PM. I will just post the links to the pads here. Just make sure you get the right pad size for your backing plate.

Meguiar's

Meguiars DMX5 DA Microfiber Xtra Cut Disc, 5 inches

Lake Country

5 1/4 Inch Microfiber Cutting Pad (2-Pack)

The above LC is discontinued but this one is suitable equivalent. 5.5 inch Lake Country HDO Fiber Heavy Cutting Pad

For wool I like the Rupes pads

Looks like the blue wool is out of stock. You may just want to stick to a microfiber cutting pad.

6 inch RUPES Coarse Wool Polishing Pad

The yellow polishing wool pad is really nice. It has some good correction and is a versatile pad like their yellow foam pad. 6 inch RUPES Medium Yellow Wool Polishing Pad

15. Thanks Matador thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast