autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Applying AIO by hand or with Megs DA Power System

Morning AG community,

I live in an apartment and where my car is parked I have no access to water or electricity, but i'm looking to enhance my cars paint. I purchased the car two months ago, it's a 2017 Camry, and have been doing rinseless washes with ONR every 7-10 days because of the heavy dust and pollen that accumulates in the lot where it sits.

I bought some HD Speed and I'm looking to the community for suggestions on application. I purchased Megs DA Power System several years ago and used it once, so I could use that with my cordless drill and the yellow polishing pads it comes with. Or I could apply by hand, with a microfiber applicator pad or I was looking at the Polishin' Pal and picking up a few extra LC spot buff pads.

Could I expect to get drastically better results when applying with the Megs DA System versus applying by hand? I figured I might be able to get 2-3 section passes per area and do the entire car before the batteries die out.

I realize the limitations of having no access to electricity but I'm still yearning for that polishing experience!

Thanks in advance,
    Brian

Mike Phillips

Re: Applying AIO by hand or with Megs DA Power System

Kind of an either-or situation.

The drill rotating a pad will provide better correction and polishing action as you and your hand and arm will get tired.

Holding a drill and buffing out a car will more or less beat you up. Been there and done that in the 1980's when Meguiar's introduced a buffing pad for a drill way back then.

I guess give the drill a try and see what you think?

3. Likes Eric7810 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the quick response, Mike! I'll give it a shot and post some before/after pics.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd try a test spot with both processes. See which gives you the best results and which will be easiest to apply (physically) over the whole car.

Post Thanks / Like

It may be possible to do it with your drill, but you’ve got to be careful to hang onto that thing and not get lazy after an hour. A power drill can do that job, but the shape and the weight of them really don’t lend themselves to long durations of polishing work.

If you let your guard down it’s really easy to zip your paint with a rotating portion of your power drill. Then you’ve got another problem on your hands.

Let us know how it goes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

In YouTube, look for DA Power System on Scratched Up 4Runner. (Disclaimer: I posted that video)

You definitely want to break down the job in sections as it will take a long time with small pads. Also, get several of the pads.