autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Clear Coat ALMOST Gone Need Protection

I have a 17 year old Pilot owned since new. I have just finished a paint correction, using 3D One as a compound/polish & 3D Poxy as a LSP, bringing back the paint finish to about 85%. Should I put a coat of Optimum Car Wax over the Poxy or strip the Poxy off and just use the Optimum Car Wax to further protect the clear coat? Would there be more of a benefit one way or another? The car IS NOT GARAGED, if that better explains the condition. Thanks ahead for your time & suggestions. ABSAV

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Clear Coat ALMOST Gone Need Protection

What made you put on the Poxy, if your thinking about removing it? I would just apply OCW over the Poxy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    What made you put on the Poxy, if your thinking about removing it? I would just apply OCW over the Poxy.

^^^This^^^
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

What do you mean by clear coat almost gone? Are you having signs of clear coat failure?

To answer you're question, you can use optimum car wax on top of poxy at any time. It is up to you whenever you choose to use it.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I sent Mike P. before and after pics of my project and he noticed that some of the oxidation was still there and the clear coat was almost gone. Although the finished product was pretty good he suggested holding on to the clear coat that is on the car to use Optimum Car Wax and keep up with the paint maintenance. With the videos, I have been viewing, they say no need to add anything else to the Poxy. at this point, I am a bit confused. Should I assume that the Optimum on top of the Poxy would add to the protection?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ABSAV View Post
    I sent Mike P. before and after pics of my project and he noticed that some of the oxidation was still there and the clear coat was almost gone. Although the finished product was pretty good he suggested holding on to the clear coat that is on the car to use Optimum Car Wax and keep up with the paint maintenance. With the videos, I have been viewing, they say no need to add anything else to the Poxy. at this point, I am a bit confused. Should I assume that the Optimum on top of the Poxy would add to the protection?
    Don't know if it will add to the protection, but removing the Poxy could cause more problems than it's worth.

Post Thanks / Like

Post the photos here so we know what you are working with.

8. Likes Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Hey thanks for bringing this to the forum. I much prefer to discuss car detailing here versus e-mail.

Here's the deal everyone, ABSAV did a GREAT job of bringing paint back from the dead. He e-mailed me pictures. To be honest - I'm not sure I've ever seen clearcoat so far gone restored as good as he was able to do. I hope it holds up.

AT THIS TIME - I didn't know how bad the paint on his Honda Pilot was. Here's the initial e-mail I sent him,

I had to read through out e-mail chain to remember how he got to 3D products and I believe he asked me about them over the phone after seeing a YouTube Influencer talk about them. Me? I'm not a YouTube Influencer but I took his phone call and then typed out the below how-to information including links to,

1. Videos
    2. Products
    3. Articles
    4. Pictures

Here's that e-mail

[indent]

Hey ABSAV,

Great talking to you today. I know when you’re first getting into detailing it can be confusing simply due to the overwhelming volume of information and products.

Here’s the links we talked about that will get you going.

First – watch the video in this article I wrote. It shows the Porter Cable 7424XP polisher but the tips and technique I share are the exact same techniques you will use with your brand new Griot’s Garage G9 polisher.

How to do a Test Spot and then buff out your car! Video Explanation by Mike Phillips
    How to do a Test Spot and then buff out your car! Video Explanation by Mike Phillips

Second - Here’s the link to the Buff & Shine Uro-Tech pads. To keep it simple, the blue heavy polishing foam pad is a great starter pad. You can always get more pads and different pads as you go.

For 5” backing plate
    6 Inch Dark Blue Heavy Polishing Foam Pad

For 6” backing plate
    7 Inch Dark Blue Heavy Polishing Foam Pad

Lake Country 5” backing plate
    lake country 5 inch backing plate, 5 inch backin plate, 5 inch hook and loop backing plate

1-Step approach for your Honda

3D Speed in the quart – you’ll love this stuff. This is a ONE STEP – corrects the paint and leaves the paint sealed in one step.

2-step approach for your Honda

3D One – compound/polish – great stuff but you have to “seal” the paint afterwards as it is a dedicated compound/polish

3D Poxy - Dedicated paint sealant – use after the 3D One

Here’s some how-to articles I’ve written on the 3D products you’re interested in. Because you owned a 1967 Mustang you’ll appreciate this first article. (my reviews tend to be how-to articles)

Review: 3D ONE Hybrid Cutting Compound and Finishing Polish
    Review: 3D ONE Hybrid Cutting Compound and Finishing Polish

3D HD Adapt and Poxy Review - 1940 Studebaker Streetrod detailed by Mike Phillips
    3D HD Adapt and Poxy Review - 1940 Studebaker Streetrod detailed by Mike Phillips

If you read this review – I’ll explain why I use so many buffing pad when I detail a car.

Review: 3D Paint Coating and 3D One Cutting Compound and Finishing Polish
    Review: 3D Paint Coating and 3D One Cutting Compound and Finishing Polish

LIVE Detailing Class

Here’s the link to all of the brand new LIVE Detailing Classes we’ve made to date – the are INFORMATION RICH. And we broadcast these LIVE every Tuesday at 3:00pm Eastern Time

Complete List of Live Broadcast Videos on YouTube - Yancy Martinez & Mike Phillips
    Complete List of Live Broadcast Videos on YouTube - Yancy Martinez & Mike Phillips

Hope the above helps Lou and if you need help with your order any of our customer care staff can help you.

1-800-869-3011

Sincerely,

Mike Phillips
    [/indent

Of course, the above if FORMATTED for an e-mail. Had I replied to him on the forum I could have used >blue clickable links< and inserted the video as a video not sent as a link. That's the power of a forum over any of these,

1. E-mail
    2. Any type of message
    3. YouTube
    4. Instagram
    5. Facebook
    6. TikTok
    7. Periscope
    8. Ad nauseam

So that's the back story as to how he got to 3D products to safe the paint on his Honda.

Then he sent me these before and after pictures. So keep in mind - I NEVER knew how bad the paint was before seeing these pictures. If I had to be honest - I would have told him to stick a fork in it and call it DONE.

Here's BEFORE

Here's AFTER - Freaking AMAZING save

He did the engine too... nice job.

Now that I've seen how BAD the paint was after making my recommendations I completely impressed with the results considering this is his first machine paint correct.

The pictures show Clearcoat Failure. The paint has NOT started flaking off but that is the next stage in the clearcoat failure process.

Okay now follow me - after he did all the great work and sent me the before and after pictures you see above - then he asked me how to maintain the paint. After I saw the before and after pictures and NOW KNOWING HOW BAD IT "was" - recommended to start using Optimum Polymer Technologies CAR WAX

BECAUSE - it's the only product I know of that is PATENTED with proven UV protection. Lots of products claim UV protection and my guess is lots of products really do provide UV protection but OPT CAR WAX is the only product I know of where the CHEMIST applied for and obtained a PATENT.

See where I'm going with this?

So then in a reply to another e-mail, after asking me about wetsanding the paint, to which I sent him my infamous article here,

Clearcoats are thin by Mike Phillips

I then sent him the link to this article,

Patented UV Protection - Optimum Car Wax - by Dr. Ghodoussi at Autogeek.com

And that's how come ABSAV is now asking about how to go about applying Optimum Car Wax over 3D Poxy.

Clear as mud?

And this is why any regular reader of mine from the years I ran the MOL forum to the years I've run this forum will often times see me bump or share these articles I've written,

From 2005

Please post your questions to our discussion forum

From 2009

Please post your questions to our discussion forum - Don't send them to me in a PM or E-mail...

I just don't have the typing time to type for one set of eyeballs.

10. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes Craig Encinitas, Thomkirby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You can use any spray wax. I think you might need something stronger like a coating to provide some extra protection.

From my experience, my car was pretty good until year 17. That's when the clear started to peel. Eventually it will fail. It's just a question to how much longer you can stretch it out.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post

What made you put on the Poxy, if your thinking about removing it?

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post

What do you mean by clear coat almost gone? Are you having signs of clear coat failure?

If you can WADE through my post above I think I answer all your questions.

13. Likes The Guz liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast