autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

New to this site looking for some help with Subarus

I am new to this site and am looking for some help. There is a ton of information on this site so I am looking for some help to narrow down what I need to look at. I have two cars that I want to detail the paint on.

1. First is a brand new 2021 Subaru Ascent. Car is not even 90 days old yet and I have heard that I need to wait 90 days until I apply anything to the paint. Is this true? What products would be the best to use on this car? Durability would be my biggest want so I am thinking a paint sealant would be best. I am not partial to any brands so I am open to any suggestions.

2. Second car is a 2014 Subaru Crosstrek. I have paint chips I need to repair first before being able to apply anything to the paint. Is the Dr Color Chip the best product for this? Are there any other products that I should look at? Some of the chips already have some rust in them so if you have any suggestions for correcting that I would appreciate it.

3. Last question is do you recommend getting a DA polisher like the Porter Cable 7424? I currently would be doing this by hand and if getting the polisher would greatly reduce the time to apply the product then I would get one.

If this is the wrong place to ask these questions let me know and I can start a thread in another forum. Appreciate all your help.

Mike Phillips

Re: New to this site looking for some help with Subarus

Quote Originally Posted by CheapFish View Post
    I am new to this site and am looking for some help. There is a ton of information on this site so I am looking for some help to narrow down what I need to look at. I have two cars that I want to detail the paint on.

1. First is a brand new 2021 Subaru Ascent. Car is not even 90 days old yet and I have heard that I need to wait 90 days until I apply anything to the paint. Is this true? What products would be the best to use on this car? Durability would be my biggest want so I am thinking a paint sealant would be best. I am not partial to any brands so I am open to any suggestions.

2. Second car is a 2014 Subaru Crosstrek. I have paint chips I need to repair first before being able to apply anything to the paint. Is the Dr Color Chip the best product for this? Are there any other products that I should look at? Some of the chips already have some rust in them so if you have any suggestions for correcting that I would appreciate it.

3. Last question is do you recommend getting a DA polisher like the Porter Cable 7424? I currently would be doing this by hand and if getting the polisher would greatly reduce the time to apply the product then I would get one.

If this is the wrong place to ask these questions let me know and I can start a thread in another forum. Appreciate all your help.

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

Hope you don't mind but I moved your thread from the Introduce yourself forum to the Detailing 101 forum group.

The intro forum is to simply introduce yourself.

If you have questions and want help then you start a thread in a forum like Detailing 101

The difference is you'll get MORE help when you post in the right forum.

I also added these words to your title

WITH SUBARU'S

So people know what you want help with....

Post Thanks / Like

1. First is a brand new 2021 Subaru Ascent. Car is not even 90 days old yet and I have heard that I need to wait 90 days until I apply anything to the paint. Is this true?
    No, that is Not true.

The only time the 90 day rule applies is when a vehicle has been re painted and even then 90 days is erring on the side of caution.. Usually 30 days is fine. But for your brand new vehicle, which has factory paint and baked in their ovens that can’t be matched, those rules don’t apply.

4. Likes oneheadlite liked this post
    Mike Phillips

I have two cars that I want to detail the paint on.

Waiting to work on paint is for FRESH paint not new cars. The paint on new cars is BAKED-ON at the factory before it leaves so it's hard and cured by the time you drive it off a lot.

I only have substantial experience with the Dr. Color Chip system and the good thing about it is - if you don't like your work - take their SealAct solvent and rub on the touch-up paint until it's gone and then try again. You can self-teach yourself. Once your happy - leave it along and it's permanent.

How to use the Dr. ColorChip Paint Chip Repair Systems

Dr. ColorChip how-to videos here,

Dr. ColorChip How-To Videos with Dan McCool and Mike Phillips

I can no longer count how many times someone has posted something like the above - then made the switch from working by hand to working by machine and then said something like,

Wow! I should have done this decades ago...

All great questions by the way.

I just added 2 words and moved it to the Detailing 101 forum group with a temporary re-direct.

And - Yes - the Porter Cable is a GREAT first tool. You need to buy a 5" backing plate to go with it and then get some simple 5.5" flat foam pads.

If you want to keep it super simple - start out with some 5.5" Lake Country white foam polishing pads and when Dr. Beasley's new Z1 starts shipping - get some and give it a try.

See my brand new review here,

Review: Dr. Beasley's NSP Z1 - One Step Primer & Nanocoating with Ti02 & Si02 + Composite Engineered Abrasives

Dr. Beasley's NSP Z1 - One Step Primer & Nanocoating with Ti02 & Si02

See the video on post #2 here - it shows you EXACTLY how to use a Porter Cable.

Here's what you need to get into machine polishing - Recommendations for a beginner by Mike Phillips

Backing plate

Lake Country 5" Backing Plate

Pads

Lake Country 5.5" Flat pads <-- Simplest pads available, makes these bubba-proof

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, thank you for all the help and suggestions Mike. Going to review all the videos and get a list together of products to order.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to AGO!

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Mike Phillips

Wow, thank you for all the help and suggestions Mike.

Going to review all the videos and get a list together of products to order.

No problemo...

I happy to say I don't have a history of leading people down the wrong path.

9. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    No problemo...

I happy to say I don't have a history of leading people down the wrong path.

Now this is a world-class understatement, Mike.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.