autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

PPF care questions

Hello all,
    I have a new ride arriving in November (mythos black '21 Audi RS7), and plan on having most if not all the car wrapped with STEK dynoshield. I have tried finding answers but just thought it is muddled with unknowns.
    Is there a waterless wash/rinseless wash that is safe to use regularly over this PPF? Bug/tar remover?

The manufacturer has some products, but no waterless wash/bug tar remover (I do plan on discussing with installer once my car arrives). STEK website says "Do NOT use detergents containing waxes, sealants, or silicone".
    In a perfect world it would be a 2 bucket wash and rinse with blower, but time is not always on my side.

Any thoughts or input are greatly appreciated from the detailing gurus.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: PPF care questions

Quote Originally Posted by Ace22 View Post
    Hello all,
    I have a new ride arriving in November (mythos black '21 Audi RS7), and plan on having most if not all the car wrapped with STEK dynoshield. I have tried finding answers but just thought it is muddled with unknowns.
    Is there a waterless wash/rinseless wash that is safe to use regularly over this PPF? Bug/tar remover?

The manufacturer has some products, but no waterless wash/bug tar remover (I do plan on discussing with installer once my car arrives). STEK website says "Do NOT use detergents containing waxes, sealants, or silicone".
    In a perfect world it would be a 2 bucket wash and rinse with blower, but time is not always on my side.

Congrats on the new awesome ride. I miss mine. I wouldn't personally wrap a lot of the car only because you will notice it. STEK is great product but in the end you're still looking through 7 mils thick plastic and adhesive. It's a personal choice but I'd wrap the high risk areas only and save the money on the rest. I'm biased as I've had ppf on LOTS of vehicles and I've removed it too. Some will disagree, but I polish and coat prior to applying it. Won't affect the adhesion but it will aid in removal if and when needed. Then simply re-coat over it too. Follow the manufacturers instructions on the ppf though.

Care wise, understand that ppf will road-rash just like paint as it does have a clear coat layer. My audi was PURE black and looks awesome but the front clip did rash on the ppf thus why I did replace it over time. Wash wise, you don't need to do multi-bucket washes. Just one is fine and if really dirty, just rinse the sponge between wipes and go from top down. Again, YMMV there on processes but I see no issues.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

3. Thanks Ace22 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks man, I appreciate your input as I know you are in Ohio as well and have had an Audi in the past. My other thought was instead of PPF the whole car, just do the front bumper, mirrors, rocker panels, and rear sill. Then I might just have them do the Modesta ceramic coating on the rest. I was fearful of seeing the difference between PPF and non PPF areas as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks man, I appreciate your input as I know you are in Ohio as well and have had an Audi in the past. My other thought was instead of PPF the whole car, just do the front bumper, mirrors, rocker panels, and rear sill. Then I might just have them do the Modesta ceramic coating on the rest. I was fearful of seeing the difference between PPF and non PPF areas as well.
    Yep. Dublin Ohio area. I would and do typically PPF the front bumper, mirrors, A-Pillars, certain rocker panel areas, leading edge of roof if not glass already and the hood. I have done both entire hoods and front fenders and I've done bikini cuts. The costs will range frokm 4800 to $1,500 depending on the area covered.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Hello all,

We had wife's toy completely wrapped in STEK Dynoshield in April 2019. They coated it with a film-specific coating and other than that, I just maintain it with ceramic-infused sealants. I'm too ignorant (and/or scared) to do waterless/rinseless washes so can't really help ya there; when it get's past my 'threshold of acceptable appearance' out come the buckets.

Post Thanks / Like

Any rinseless wash will work such as Mckee's N914, ONR. That statement from STEK is the prior to install or post install?

8. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Budget plan, nice article and I had actually read that and some good advice. Yes, the STEK statement is for maintenance after install.

10. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Budget plan, nice article and I had actually read that and some good advice. Yes, the STEK statement is for maintenance after install.
    I'd guess that's the same theory as not topping a coating w/ waxes, sealants or silicone due to the 'kinda hydrophobic coating' built into the film itself.

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Any rinseless wash will work such as Mckee's N914, ONR
    This.

12. Thanks Ace22 thanked for this post