autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tried to polish pillar trim on my work van, and had some questions, please help?

Did you clay first? Probably dirt and you might have touched the rubber trim.

Griots Garage compound is really easy to work with. Pretty effortless. Maybe not the strongest compound but good for average defects.

Get a random orbit polisher from Harbor Freight or Autogeek.

2. Thanks TrustJesus thanked for this post
    Likes TrustJesus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tried to polish pillar trim on my work van, and had some questions, please help?

Ok I get it, thanks

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline
    My goal in life is to love God, family and myself. To love others and treat others right.

Post Thanks / Like

Likely just dirt / contamination on your pad. I've seen far worse on really bad paint even after decontamination processes. Pillar wise, use a light polish such as Essence. B and C Pillars can shed color thus I use a dedicated pad for those.

Look how bad these were from a recent detail. I decon'd it well too.

2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

5. Thanks TrustJesus thanked for this post
    Likes TrustJesus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    You still haven’t bought a polisher?
    Honestly with all this pandemic, I put my business at hold. I don’t feel safe cleaning interiors, kind of tight on cash at the moment.

I will get one, don’t know when.

My goal in life is to love God, family and myself. To love others and treat others right.

7. Likes DUBL0WS6 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post
    What kind of pad is that?

Pillar trims are notoriously soft, so too aggressive of a pad, product, or even to rough of a wipe off towel could be leaving you with marring. How much worse were they when you started?

Complete Compound and Complete Polish are just fine to get started with; I've used the Complete Compound (haven't tried the Polish) and have gotten good correction/finish with it. Again, it may be too aggressive for pillar trim?

I'd be willing to bet it's a technique (read: pad/towel/application) change that's going to get you results, not a product change. Something like Blackfire One Step would probably be good to have in your inventory once you start doing more jobs, but it's not going to be the difference between still swirled out and gleaming perfection.

Just my 2 cents
    John,

The pad was included with my cheap china polisher. It’s not lake country or rupes, just a china pad.

Well, I washed it with soap, air dry and then went to polish at a good speed.

I also noticed it left like a haze on my B pillar trim.

This is a 2015 Ram Promaster City B pillar trim.

To answer your question it looks the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    What type of trim are you trying to polish? The verity is almost endless. Of the three cars in my household, none are the same.

Like what was mentioned already, I too hesitate to diagnose over the internet and I can't really tell what is going on by the pictures. However, I'll pass along my approach for trim.

- I'll never use anything on trip other than a finishing polish and a polishing pad. Never a compound or aggressive pad.
    - With very few exceptions, The only trim I'll polish is the stuff on the B- and C-pillars, and ONLY if I know they are a plastic overlay or painted. Even then I proceed with extreme caution. It typically only take a couple passes to get them looking good and I use little/no pressure on the polisher.
    - The plastic and/or rubber trim found around windows, or mirrors will get cleaned up by hand and I'll apply a trim protectant. I'd never take a polisher to them as there are too many ways to mess them up.
    Hey man,
    It’s a B pillar for a 2015 Ram Promaster City, and it’s clear coated painted plastic.

I used GG complete compound and polish, nothing. I’ll keep trying I’m just avoiding to polish wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DUBL0WS6 View Post
    Did you clay first? Probably dirt and you might have touched the rubber trim.

Griots Garage compound is really easy to work with. Pretty effortless. Maybe not the strongest compound but good for average defects.

Get a random orbit polisher from Harbor Freight or Autogeek.
    Mothers speed clay 2.0 is a bit grabby IMO.
    I didn’t clay bar for that reason, it’s only thing I got.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    Likely just dirt / contamination on your pad. I've seen far worse on really bad paint even after decontamination processes. Pillar wise, use a light polish such as Essence. B and C Pillars can shed color thus I use a dedicated pad for those.

Look how bad these were from a recent detail. I decon'd it well too.

Thanks man, I’m glad it’s dirt and not paint. Lol

Post Thanks / Like

I will get it, guys thanks for help.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TrustJesus View Post
    John,

The pad was included with my cheap china polisher. It’s not lake country or rupes, just a china pad.

Well, I washed it with soap, air dry and then went to polish at a good speed.

I also noticed it left like a haze on my B pillar trim.

This is a 2015 Ram Promaster City B pillar trim.

To answer your question it looks the same.
    Are you changing pads between the compound and the polish or are you trying to do all of this with one pad? The pad might be part of your problem. In the picture it looks pretty abrasive compared to some of the quality pads sold here. It might be doing more harm than good.

You mention seeing a haze, but are all the major scratches/swirls gone? If so, the haze you're seeing is from the pad and/or compound you used. It will take a soft pad and polish to clear things properly. In the future, treat that B pillar trim very gently. Those areas are very soft and correct easily...and also swirl and haze easily.

Quote Originally Posted by TrustJesus View Post
    Hey man,
    It’s a B pillar for a 2015 Ram Promaster City, and it’s clear coated painted plastic.

I used GG complete compound and polish, nothing. I’ll keep trying I’m just avoiding to polish wrong.
    That B pillar might not be clear coated paint. My last two personal cars and the two neighbor's cars I recently detailed look like that area is clear coated paint, but it isn't. Those areas are actually a high-gloss piece of plastic which snap into place. Looking at it, you think it's painted, but it isn't. Those pieces are VERY soft. They scratch easily, but are also very easy to correct with little effort if treated gently.

You mention not being able to get good pads or a polisher at this time. My tough-love advice would be to be patient and wait until you have the means to buy at least some good pads. Continually grinding away at it with questionable pads which may be too aggressive won't get you where you want to be and might actually make things worse to the point you can't fix it later.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

14. Thanks TrustJesus thanked for this post
    Likes oneheadlite, TrustJesus liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast