autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Customer claims I cracked her windshield...

Craziest thing happened today. I detailed two vehicles at customers' home: an SUV and a car. I had a helper with me and the jobs went well. Both vehicles were parked in driveway, and I detailed them without having to move them. For the first four hours, we did the interiors on each vehicle. Then later, we did exterior. Customer was putting floor mats back in, inspecting the SUV, etc. around 3:00 as we were finishing up the exterior on the car. Then, at 3:30 we finished, and I knocked on the door to get him. He came out, took a look at the vehicles, and mentioned a long crack in the windshield from top to bottom. He was irate about it, as he had just purchased the vehicle from a private party the day before. There was a very awkward silence, and then after a bit, I resumed the "after-tour," showing him the much improved headliner, interior, etc. He paid me the full amount plus a $20 tip, and away we went.

Now just a half hour ago, his wife texts me asking "are you going to pay to replace the broken windshield?" I called her and told her that it was highly improbable, if not impossible, for me to have caused the crack. There was a deep rock chip at the top of the windshield about 5mm from the roof. From there, the crack proceeded downward all the way. Furthermore, she told me on the phone that there was no crack when her husband put the floor mats in, which was at 3:00...which was AFTER I was done power washing and only a half hour before I left! Which would have meant that the spider crack would have had to appear in a half hour's time, and I would have had to cause it in the first place. I don't see how in any way, shape, or form I should have to compensate her. Do I feel bad that their windshield is cracked? Yes. But is there any way that I am responsible? I can't see it!

I called her later tonight and we had a cordial conversation. I told her that I'd reach out to my auto detailing friends and see if this had ever happened before, and in turn she was going to talk to her husband after he calms down. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Customer claims I cracked her windshield...

Quote Originally Posted by fivestar_dc View Post
    Craziest thing happened today. I detailed two vehicles at customers' home: an SUV and a car. I had a helper with me and the jobs went well. Both vehicles were parked in driveway, and I detailed them without having to move them. For the first four hours, we did the interiors on each vehicle. Then later, we did exterior. Customer was putting floor mats back in, inspecting the SUV, etc. around 3:00 as we were finishing up the exterior on the car. Then, at 3:30 we finished, and I knocked on the door to get him. He came out, took a look at the vehicles, and mentioned a long crack in the windshield from top to bottom. He was irate about it, as he had just purchased the vehicle from a private party the day before. There was a very awkward silence, and then after a bit, I resumed the "after-tour," showing him the much improved headliner, interior, etc. He paid me the full amount plus a $20 tip, and away we went.

Now just a half hour ago, his wife texts me asking "are you going to pay to replace the broken windshield?" I called her and told her that it was highly improbable, if not impossible, for me to have caused the crack. There was a deep rock chip at the top of the windshield about 5mm from the roof. From there, the crack proceeded downward all the way. Furthermore, she told me on the phone that there was no crack when her husband put the floor mats in, which was at 3:00...which was AFTER I was done power washing and only a half hour before I left! Which would have meant that the spider crack would have had to appear in a half hour's time, and I would have had to cause it in the first place. I don't see how in any way, shape, or form I should have to compensate her. Do I feel bad that their windshield is cracked? Yes. But is there any way that I am responsible? I can't see it!

I called her later tonight and we had a cordial conversation. I told her that I'd reach out to my auto detailing friends and see if this had ever happened before, and in turn she was going to talk to her husband after he calms down. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
    You do have liability insurance?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

No I do not.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fivestar_dc View Post
    No I do not.
    Before you detail another car for money, you should be insured. A crack windshield is only a few hundred dollars..a paint job could be in the thousands.

5. Likes Mike Hoekstra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Customer claims I cracked her windshield...

I agree with Rsurfer

However, people now a days are malicious, and if you don’t believe me, you never ran into one.

I’m not saying he did it, but some people will scam you to get you to pay for something.

Mike, has this thread where he gives you downloads of cars exterior, so you can print them, and go over the car with your client.

Rsurfer I’m barely learning paint correction don’t discourage me lol����

Also if the client tipped you, he knows you weren’t responsible.

That my opinion.

Especially now clients don’t even inspect there cars at all, drive close and get rock chips, I see it all the time.
    My goal in life is to love God, family and myself. To love others and treat others right.

Post Thanks / Like

One possibility...although far fetched.....could it be that the cold water hitting a hot windshield caused the crack to open up from the rock chip? I'm not even sure such a thing is possible.....just putting it out there.

I had a customer tell me that the sealant I put on their vehicle caused their outside thermometer to malfunction.....I have someone had tell me that I caused one of their tires to develop a slow leak.....I had someone....who has four cats....tell me that there was a scratch on the roof of their car that my 16 lb cat caused.....that cat couldn't leave the ground if it wanted to....the best was when I was told that my vacuuming caused a short under the dash of their car.

8. Likes zmcnulty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

@Briar I have heard your theory about cold water hitting hot windshield , which makes it crack more. It sounds stupid but I have heard it. Whether true or not, it’s not out of possibility at all.

And thanks for sharing your story, like I said some clients will try to get you to be responsible for something they did.

Of course like Rsurfer said insurance is key, but what if we don’t have enough clients to afford it.
    My goal in life is to love God, family and myself. To love others and treat others right.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TrustJesus View Post
    @Briar I have heard your theory about cold water hitting hot windshield , which makes it crack more. It sounds stupid but I have heard it. Whether true or not, it’s not out of possibility at all.

And thanks for sharing your story, like I said some clients will try to get you to be responsible for something they did.

Of course like Rsurfer said insurance is key, but what if we don’t have enough clients to afford it.
    Then imo your rolling the dice.

Post Thanks / Like

@Rsurfer you got a point

Well, I think it goes on a case by case basis. If the client wants to be a pain, then yea.

However, if your client doesn’t care, but like you said you roll the dice.

Good thread, I’ll keep this as reference not to take clients word for it and inspect it over with them.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Then imo your rolling the dice.
    Which is true. But when you're only doing 30 cars a year as a side gig, and these are ordinary DD's, insurance really eats into profits. I appreciate everyone's feedback. This man swore profusely on the phone when I had my first conversation about detailing his car two weeks ago, did the same today every time I saw him. Bad-mouthed the previous owner (he just bought these two vehicles from a private party a few days ago). Quite a cantankerous fellow, and I do believe it's very possible he's trying to scam or threaten me into paying for something I did not do and for which he's responsible. I think I'm going to start taking pictures before and after, and possibly implement a checklist.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast