autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Customer claims I cracked her windshield...

Haven't seen the OP chime back in the thread, but then again, it's already 4 pages long... Coming out of forum hibernation, this one grabbed me because I can't begin to count how many times Mike Phillips and others mention these valuable tools at your disposal.

VIF - Initial inspection. When I was in business, I would make an appointment, use Mike's VIF (Vehicle Inspection Form) and go over the entire car, just like the rental car companies do before you rent a car. Using the form I identified the condition of all surfaces and materials, identified defects and prior damage, and then did a rating scale of 1-10 on what could be fixed and what couldn't be fixed, along with items outside my wheel house (cracked trim, windows, body damage etc..)

Next

Before and After Photos. I usually take about 30 or 40 before photos. You better ensure that you photograph everything that catches your eye and this ain't no joke man. I'm dead serious.

After, I do the used car sales man routine, with VIF in hand, I used to walk around the car using my magic wand... (my index finger) and TOUCH every thing I marked on the VIF and showed it to the customer.

All of this takes less than an hour, if you get good at it, you could probably do it in 20 minutes...

That way when your done, there isn't any of this business of you broke this or you broke that. Well, in this case, that wasn't done, so unless you have a waiver or sign like carwashes that state you drive through their tunnel of swirls sand scratches at your own peril, you should just do the customary thing and pony up the windshield.

I can't think of an insurance company that doesn't have glass coverage as an option. If they file a claim (no fault) for the windshield, the fee is usually $100.00 at least that is what mine is. Tell them to file a glass claim and give them $100.00. I just caught a rock in my Honda Fit, I didn't even file a claim, my insurance company has an on-line glass replacement form. Took me 10 minutes and the next day a guy was out, replaced the glass, collected the cash, and that was that.

Hopefully this is a learning lesson... Sadly there are dozens of posts by Mike and others that stress the importance of VIF and before/after photos.

Good luck, now I'm going back to forum hibernation!

p.s.

This man swore profusely on the phone when I had my first conversation about detailing his car two weeks ago
    And that wasn't a sign??? I would have passed, especially since this is a part time gig for you. As a part time gig, you have the luxury to cherry pick customers. Anyone who mistreats someone isn't worth doing business with.

A lot of what is written here is not just for the OP, the purpose of a forum is to spread knowledge through experience. Owning and running a business, regardless of part-time or full-time shouldn't make a difference. When money is exchanged for a service, it's a business.

2. Likes oneheadlite, PaulMys, DMiglio, RiverDog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=LSNAutoDetailing;1687910]Haven't seen the OP chime back in the thread, but then again, it's already 4 pages long... Coming out of forum hibernation, this one grabbed me because I can't begin to count how many times Mike Phillips and others mention these valuable tools at your disposal.

VIF - Initial inspection. When I was in business, I would make an appointment, use Mike's VIF (Vehicle Inspection Form) and go over the entire car, just like the rental car companies do before you rent a car. Using the form I identified the condition of all surfaces and materials, identified defects and prior damage, and then did a rating scale of 1-10 on what could be fixed and what couldn't be fixed, along with items outside my wheel house (cracked trim, windows, body damage etc..)

Next

Before and After Photos. I usually take about 30 or 40 before photos. You better ensure that you photograph everything that catches your eye and this ain't no joke man. I'm dead serious.

After, I do the used car sales man routine, with VIF in hand, I used to walk around the car using my magic wand... (my index finger) and TOUCH every thing I marked on the VIF and showed it to the customer.

All of this takes less than an hour, if you get good at it, you could probably do it in 20 minutes...

That way when your done, there isn't any of this business of you broke this or you broke that. Well, in this case, that wasn't done, so unless you have a waiver or sign like carwashes that state you drive through their tunnel of swirls sand scratches at your own peril, you should just do the customary thing and pony up the windshield.

I can't think of an insurance company that doesn't have glass coverage as an option. If they file a claim (no fault) for the windshield, the fee is usually $100.00 at least that is what mine is. Tell them to file a glass claim and give them $100.00. I just caught a rock in my Honda Fit, I didn't even file a claim, my insurance company has an on-line glass replacement form. Took me 10 minutes and the next day a guy was out, replaced the glass, collected the cash, and that was that.

Hopefully this is a learning lesson... Sadly there are dozens of posts by Mike and others that stress the importance of VIF and before/after photos.

Good luck, now I'm going back to forum hibernation!

p.s.

And that wasn't a sign??? I would have passed, especially since this is a part time gig for you. As a part time gig, you have the luxury to cherry pick customers. Anyone who mistreats someone isn't worth doing business with.

A lot of what is written here is not just for the OP, the purpose of a forum is to spread knowledge through experience. Owning and running a business, regardless of part-time or full-time shouldn't make a difference. When money is exchanged for a service, it's a business.And you should have liability insurance.

4. Likes Thomkirby, FUNX650 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    And you should have liability insurance.[/COLOR]
    Can the insured mobile detailers please stand up?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fivestar_dc View Post
    Craziest thing happened today. I detailed two vehicles at customers' home: an SUV and a car. I had a helper with me and the jobs went well. Both vehicles were parked in driveway, and I detailed them without having to move them. For the first four hours, we did the interiors on each vehicle. Then later, we did exterior. Customer was putting floor mats back in, inspecting the SUV, etc. around 3:00 as we were finishing up the exterior on the car. Then, at 3:30 we finished, and I knocked on the door to get him. He came out, took a look at the vehicles, and mentioned a long crack in the windshield from top to bottom. He was irate about it, as he had just purchased the vehicle from a private party the day before. There was a very awkward silence, and then after a bit, I resumed the "after-tour," showing him the much improved headliner, interior, etc. He paid me the full amount plus a $20 tip, and away we went.

Now just a half hour ago, his wife texts me asking "are you going to pay to replace the broken windshield?" I called her and told her that it was highly improbable, if not impossible, for me to have caused the crack. There was a deep rock chip at the top of the windshield about 5mm from the roof. From there, the crack proceeded downward all the way. Furthermore, she told me on the phone that there was no crack when her husband put the floor mats in, which was at 3:00...which was AFTER I was done power washing and only a half hour before I left! Which would have meant that the spider crack would have had to appear in a half hour's time, and I would have had to cause it in the first place. I don't see how in any way, shape, or form I should have to compensate her. Do I feel bad that their windshield is cracked? Yes. But is there any way that I am responsible? I can't see it!

I called her later tonight and we had a cordial conversation. I told her that I'd reach out to my auto detailing friends and see if this had ever happened before, and in turn she was going to talk to her husband after he calms down. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
    Fam. First thing you always wanna do is take pics of everything before doing anything.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Can the insured mobile detailers please stand up?
    Well I'm insured for only $85/monthly for a 1,000,000/2,000,000 but never ever filed a claim in 17 years.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Autogeekonline mobile app

8. Thanks Rsurfer thanked for this post
    Likes DUBL0WS6 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’m part time,word of mouth and mobile. I have general liability that cover operations,premise (my garage or customers property) liability and incidental liability. I pay $70 monthly during the season and in off season I pay less because I’m not really working. I’ve used it once when my power washer line snapped, went crazy and broke a basement window

10. Likes FUNX650, Rsurfer, John U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

IMO:

Without having active insurance policies,
    then the ‘bonds-of-trust’—(that make our
    society function)—would surely break down.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

12. Likes Rsurfer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DUBL0WS6 View Post
    I disagree with this statement. If you are a hobby detailer doing work for friends and people you personally know and trust, that's a different situation. If you are charging customers who you don't know, you need protection in the form of insurance. Maybe you only need a $10,000 policy but you need to CYA.
    You certainly don’t need “protection” but there comes a point where it makes financial sense to consider insurance.

Working on an 80k vehicle as a Detailer is an entirely different risk profile to someone driving an 80k vehicle on a track. The latter has a much greater risk of total loss due to the activities performed.

In a lot of cases, especially as a mobile Detailer, the clients home or motor vehicle insurance will have an amount of coverage for most damages. And in a high number of cases, the cost of lodging a claim is far greater than the damage incurred which renders the insurance useless in those circumstances.

Let’s say one of the most common, most expensive risks for a detailer is burning through paint. An 80k vehicle doesn’t immediately become a write-off, the area can be fixed at a reasonable cost.

What disappoints me most about the necessity you’re insisting is how this reflects American “court” culture at large. Personal responsibility and therefore, trust, seems to be missing in a large portion of society.

14. Likes PaulMys, Eldorado2k, RiverDog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WristyManchego View Post
    You certainly don’t need “protection” but there comes a point where it makes financial sense to consider insurance.

Working on an 80k vehicle as a Detailer is an entirely different risk profile to someone driving an 80k vehicle on a track. The latter has a much greater risk of total loss due to the activities performed.

In a lot of cases, especially as a mobile Detailer, the clients home or motor vehicle insurance will have an amount of coverage for most damages. And in a high number of cases, the cost of lodging a claim is far greater than the damage incurred which renders the insurance useless in those circumstances.

Let’s say one of the most common, most expensive risks for a detailer is burning through paint. An 80k vehicle doesn’t immediately become a write-off, the area can be fixed at a reasonable cost.

What disappoints me most about the necessity you’re insisting is how this reflects American “court” culture at large. Personal responsibility and therefore, trust, seems to be missing in a large portion of society.
    Very well said, Wristy.

But have no fear........ There will be a pharmaceutical ad for a drug to get you through your vehicle damage depression.

*Side effects may be nausea, headache, heart failure, and rectal bleeding.*
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

16. Likes WristyManchego, Big Dave, Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post
    One possibility...although far fetched.....could it be that the cold water hitting a hot windshield caused the crack to open up from the rock chip? I'm not even sure such a thing is possible.....just putting it out there.

I had a customer tell me that the sealant I put on their vehicle caused their outside thermometer to malfunction.....I have someone had tell me that I caused one of their tires to develop a slow leak.....I had someone....who has four cats....tell me that there was a scratch on the roof of their car that my 16 lb cat caused.....that cat couldn't leave the ground if it wanted to....the best was when I was told that my vacuuming caused a short under the dash of their car.

I had a car with a slight crack or chip (been years so I’m not sure which). What I am sure of is when wetting the car as I was about to wash it (Louisiana summer heat), the cold water started the windshield to crack right before my eyes. So I know it’s possible. Just adding to the possibility.

18. Likes RiverDog liked this post
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast