autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Customer claims I cracked her windshield...

My brother just suffered a cracked windshield to his 2019 Ford F150 at Costco Carwash. They will not take responsibility. He’s 100% sure it occurred during the car wash.

Post Thanks / Like

Customer claims I cracked her windshield...

You can certainly be a professional detailer without insurance.

Insurance does two things; cover the business owner for liability, and legitimises the business for the customer.

If a customer doesn’t care to ensure a business has insurance, and the business owner is willing to accept the risk, there is no reason why services can’t be rendered.

Consider pet insurance. Pets are expensive and incredibly likely to require expensive surgery in their lifetime. Many take the risk and save the money to pay for any eventualities but some take the fear advertising seriously and wouldn’t dream of owning a pet without it.

If, for instance, the pet becomes a social media sensation and forms the majority of your income then insurance becomes an increasingly necessary investment.

When it comes to a business with multiple employees, expensive equipment and a premises, the risk becomes much greater and therefore, less likely the owner will accept the inherent risk.

There’s no need to shame someone who has understood the risk, has the funds to pay for any claims and deems it suitable in their situation to forgo insurance. And it certainly doesn’t make them any less of a professional.

3. Thanks DMiglio, TrustJesus thanked for this post
    Likes DMiglio, TrustJesus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Reminds me of an old similar story that happened to me once.

An old girlfriend wanted me to detail her car, the regular wash-wax, vacuum-clean interior, glass, that's it. No paint correction, etc.

Anyway, the vehicle never budged from my garage, thought she knew about the considerable damage on the rear passenger quarter panel. She didn't!

When she came by the garage to pick up the car, and with her new boyfriend in tow, she walked around the car and seen the damage and was shocked to say the least.

Her boyfriend's giving me dirty looks, disbelieving my defense, and I'm trying to assure her that I certainly didn't cause this considerable damage.

She paid me, took the car and left. And no, no tip. I forget what I charged her because it was so long ago, not much money.

I seen her the next day by happenstance. That's when she mentioned that her brother used the car the night before, and he owned up to having an accident with the car. LOL

Bottom line for sure, and a lesson learned. Always do a critical walk around with the owner before beginning any work. Point out any and all damage prior, even the smallest paint chips, or scratch-etc, loose trim, missing trim-badges, etc etc.

I know well some things are not easily seen on a dirty vehicle, but one should look intently.

Post Thanks / Like

Key here is in the drop off inspection and sign off. Make sure you have a lawyer look over your Terms & Conditions. Of the T's & C's I have spells out glass damage specifically to cover just such a situation. A good set of inspection forms and terms covers both you and the owner. I go over every item with them too thus why I state we need a solid 20 minutes to review things prior to leaving. I have turned away a customer who was in a "rush" and while they didn't return, I'm okay with that. I will NOT rush a drop off or a pick up as they can make or break a business.

Take clear photos of each panel and do a walk around video verbally calling out the condition, etc. I do it with the owner present so they know I'm being real with them on the details. Believe me, they appreciate it and I very much make them aware that I often and regularly find damage or dings that they will not have seen as I'm intimate with the vehicles up close an personal and all that while clearing of finish of dirt and other scratches that could have been concealing the damage. Set the stage that you will likely find something on their car and capture their reaction as it's important.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

6. Thanks DMiglio thanked for this post
    Likes DMiglio liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have seen cracks in windshields get worse due to temperature differentials but that usually happens in the winter when trying to thaw ice or frost. Some people will pour hot water on the windshield and cause a crack or even the car defroster can exaggerate the crack. I have never seen cool water from a hose cause a crack on a summer windshield.
    During this pandemic, I have been watching a lot of People's Court and Judge Judy. In every case, the plaintiff has to carry the burden of proof. In your case, there is no way your client can prove that you cracked the windshield and it is highly unlikely that you caused the crack. To protect yourself in the future, you should be taking before and after pictures. The court shows teach you that as well.

8. Likes DMiglio, Thomkirby, Big Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fivestar_dc View Post
    Which is true. But when you're only doing 30 cars a year as a side gig, and these are ordinary DD's, insurance really eats into profits. I appreciate everyone's feedback. This man swore profusely on the phone when I had my first conversation about detailing his car two weeks ago, did the same today every time I saw him. Bad-mouthed the previous owner (he just bought these two vehicles from a private party a few days ago). Quite a cantankerous fellow, and I do believe it's very possible he's trying to scam or threaten me into paying for something I did not do and for which he's responsible. I think I'm going to start taking pictures before and after, and possibly implement a checklist.
    There is such a thing as bad business. This guy is definitely it. It will cost you more than his business is worth.

10. Likes DUBL0WS6, DMiglio liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WristyManchego View Post
    You can certainly be a professional detailer without insurance.

Insurance does two things; cover the business owner for liability, and legitimises the business for the customer.

If a customer doesn’t care to ensure a business has insurance, and the business owner is willing to accept the risk, there is no reason why services can’t be rendered.

Consider pet insurance. Pets are expensive and incredibly likely to require expensive surgery in their lifetime. Many take the risk and save the money to pay for any eventualities but some take the fear advertising seriously and wouldn’t dream of owning a pet without it.

If, for instance, the pet becomes a social media sensation and forms the majority of your income then insurance becomes an increasingly necessary investment.

When it comes to a business with multiple employees, expensive equipment and a premises, the risk becomes much greater and therefore, less likely the owner will accept the inherent risk.

There’s no need to shame someone who has understood the risk, has the funds to pay for any claims and deems it suitable in their situation to forgo insurance. And it certainly doesn’t make them any less of a professional.
    I disagree with this statement. If you are a hobby detailer doing work for friends and people you personally know and trust, that's a different situation. If you are charging customers who you don't know, you need protection in the form of insurance. Maybe you only need a $10,000 policy but you need to CYA.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DUBL0WS6 View Post
    I disagree with this statement. If you are a hobby detailer doing work for friends and people you personally know and trust, that's a different situation. If you are charging customers who you don't know, you need protection in the form of insurance. Maybe you only need a $10,000 policy but you need to CYA.
    Have you personally looked into the kind of insurance coverage a detailer can buy in order to be covered?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Have you personally looked into the kind of insurance coverage a detailer can buy in order to be covered?
    No. I own a different type of business and I have to carry high levels of insurance and it's fairly expensive. Some insurance policy premiums are determined by your gross annual income. The less you make, the lower the premium. Some policies are umbrella policies which cover a specified dollar amount. An agent can explain what coverage you'd need. (edited)

My point is this, some of you guys are working on 10K cars, others are working on 40K cars, some are working on more expensive cars. Any damage that you do is your responsibility. IMO, if you can't afford the insurance, then you probably shouldn't be running a professional detailing business.

Post Thanks / Like

Customer claims I cracked her windshield...

Quote Originally Posted by DUBL0WS6 View Post
    No. I own a different type of business and I have to carry high levels of insurance and it's fairly expensive. Most insurance policy premiums are determined by your gross annual income. The less you make, the lower the premium.

My point is this, some of you guys are working on 10K cars, others are working on 40K cars, some are working on more expensive cars. Any damage that you do is your responsibility. IMO, if you can't afford the insurance, then you probably shouldn't be running a professional detailing business.
    Correct me if I’m wrong, but it’s my understanding that there’s little to no real insurance coverage for the average mobile detailer.. The only actual coverage available is for a shop and it solely covers in the case of complete loss of a vehicle i.e. if it were to get stolen or burnt to a crisp.

But as far as a mobile detailer accidentally caused a dent or burnt through clearcoat, there’s no insurance that covers that.. Once again correct me if I’m wrong, but last I checked that was the case.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast