autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

2. Thanks RiverDog thanked for this post
    Likes fly07sti, RiverDog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Customer claims I cracked her windshield...

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    Just to inform, the hot to cold transition, or vice versa, will cause a windscreen to crack, if there is a big enough stone chip already in it. I had a massive stone chip repaired a few months ago, I had to wait few days to get it done, they told me to avoid parking it with sunlight directly on it, and to not use the front demister on high heat as temp difference could cause the chip to expand and crack, which would then require a complete replacement. It was only replaced 3 months before.

So if it already had a chip in it, it was a pre-existing fault waiting to happen.
    This was my thought as well. Could have been as simple as the car sitting out in the sun. I've had windshield chips that turned into cracks where just for fun I'd put a sharpie mark on the glass in the morning and watch it grow. Most often it was when the car was stationary (like parked at work) that it would travel.

I'd probably agree with acuRAS82 - This is likely how he handles everything in life, and your rearview is probably the best place to leave him once this is over. We run into it a lot where there's a weird karma situation in the Automotive world - the customers that are the most difficult/weird about stuff tend to have some of the more difficult/weird issues befall them.

4. Likes acuRAS82, Thomkirby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Customer claims I cracked her windshield...

I’m not trying to troll, so anyone don’t jump on me.

From a business side, yes you do need insurance for this.

It’s the right thing.

Make this short and simple: Windshield cracked, got it.

I’m sure client is pissed, I would be too.

However, if we can be real here now.

Let’s a say the client decided to wash the car himself.

If the windshield cracked while client washed his own car then....
    My goal in life is to love God, family and myself. To love others and treat others right.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TrustJesus View Post
    Listen, I don’t call myself a pro detailer but I have more common sense now.
    I’m working my way to become a better one, one day I will get there.
    AG has been very helpful to me, I’m honestly humbled.
    I’ve met some very good people here that have put there pride aside to help me out, good people

What if OP, client had run his car through a car wash and the windshield had cracked?

Would the carwash be then obligated to pay for it? Honest question, not trolling.
    That would depend. Some car washes would probably pay for it to keep a customer happy, others would consider it a preexisting condition and refuse. Whether that's right or wrong depends on the situation.

Here's the thing, in customer service the customer is right even if they are wrong. You bend over backward to keep them happy. If they screw you over, at that point you walk away. At some point, you'll get the short end of the stick. Deal with it and let karma do it's thing.

Post Thanks / Like

One time I was detailing a van and cleaning the inside of the windshield when it cracked on me. It happened right as my hand hit the bottom of the windshield where it meets the dashboard. Literally in under a second a 9 inch long crack came out of nowhere.

It turns out the owner had a rock leave a good chip in the windshield in the not too long ago past and my hand bumping the windshield was enough to set it off. Thankfully they were a family friend and understood and had their own insurance cover it.

That's all I've got to add. Sorry to hear of your situation.
    The best way to get revenge? Teach them how to detail. They'll spend the rest of their life worrying about the condition of their car.

8. Thanks Thomkirby thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike hit it on the head with the VIF. Whether it's a side hustle or a multiple location franchise, that walk around with the customer is key to CYA. Not only are you notating scratches and dents and explaining what you can do and not do with them, but also cracks in windshields, loose bodywork, busted lights, etc.

If you don't have the customer there with you, video a walk around, take photos (I mean who of us don't take a ton of before and after shots for our social media?).

10. Likes DMiglio, DUBL0WS6, Thomkirby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DUBL0WS6 View Post
    That would depend. Some car washes would probably pay for it to keep a customer happy, others would consider it a preexisting condition and refuse. Whether that's right or wrong depends on the situation.

Here's the thing, in customer service the customer is right even if they are wrong. You bend over backward to keep them happy. If they screw you over, at that point you walk away. At some point, you'll get the short end of the stick. Deal with it and let karma do it's thing.
    Every car wash that I've been through in the past, has all kinds of disclosure signs posted before you enter.

If their equipment causes damage, they have insurance that will cover that.

Post Thanks / Like

@ DUBLOSW6

I like your honest response and your right man. Good answer
    My goal in life is to love God, family and myself. To love others and treat others right.

Post Thanks / Like

I will jump into this open topic, I did suffer the expense of replacing my 2018 F150 windshield after a 1-1/2 years and knew what caused the crack.

1 Cracks in windshield are not caused by normal cleaning, period.

2 Agree, with Mike Phillips use of the vehicle inspection form, it is your best basis for protection, insurance or not.

3 Always take a before picture of the car, several to be exact.

4 Afterwards take same photos, if it was not on the car when you left it can be assumed you did not cause the crack/damage.

Now to my experience with cracks:
    Any rock chip near the edge off the glass will be highly likely to crack. (mine ran 6-inches on an 8-hour drive)
    Once a crack appears, it will run in amazing directions.
    Cold water on hot windshield is never a good thing, or hot water on a cold glass (try that one in winter only once)
    Cracks can run just doing a temperature change between night and day.
    And yes, marking the crack and watching it move is kinda fun in my weird life. Only way to figure out if you are crazy.

I think the car owner is just trying to blame someone and the last person that touched it had to be the cause (likely not).

14. Likes Big Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thomkirby View Post
    hot water on a cold glass (try that one in winter only once)
    I heard that’s a myth...

Hot water will not crack windshield - YouTube

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast