autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Post White Car - Exterior Detail - 2 step

Hi folks, i'm going to detail a white nissan rogue in about 2 weeks. Outside.

My polishes are;

3D One & Gyeon primer

Machines;

Griots G15 & Shinemate mini rotary

My basic plan is to use 3D one using the griots medium orange pad. Followed up by gyeon primer with the black finishing pad.

When using the primer should i increase arm speed and use very light pressure?

Are there any tricks of the trade when working on white cars?

I'm open to any suggestions. Just not the infamous "test spot".

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

FYI i have zero experience with the mini rotary.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: White Car - Exterior Detail - 2 step

Test spot. Test spot. Test spot!

That out of the way, you’ve got a great set up of polishes, pads and tools.

As far as white cars goes, it’s technically “easier” and more forgiving to finish because it’ll hide defects better than black. If it’s a metallic/pearl white you’ll have an even easier time.

That said, I’d take more time on the decon/cleaning stage to be sure the clear coat is a clean and “stain free” as possible. Tar remover, iron decon and thorough claying are a must before any polishing begins.

I’m not super familiar with primer unfortunately, I’ve used it once or twice. I know with Essence(Carpro’s primer equivalent) it was recommended to work it in slowly and only one pass.. might start with Primer that way.

CarPro Essence Definitive Guide Thread

“7 - Is CarPro Essence super easy to use?

Yes, usually extremely easy! It is but there are always other variables. As always there can be a little learning curve on some paints. IF you run into a paint where it seems to stick a bit then you need to change your pad type and or your machine speed, arm speed, or pressure.

On very soft paints especially (because it sticks to soft paint easier) consider the following method:
    Use a microfiber pad
    Spread super fast on speed 1
    Raise speed to about 3-4 depending on machine
    Using minimal pressure (about a pound + weight of machine) use VERY slow arm movement across the section and go only one single pass.

Finally for some paints, consider faster arm movement with half bites into the section, backing up, and then moving forward to avoid any sticking of product.“

As far as the rotary, I’ve only used them a couple times, but recently received a Flex PE8 from Mike Phillips and been playing with that. It’s a mini rotary and let me tell you, smoothest operating polisher I used!

Not loud or harsh, requires minimal pressure and just a light grip to control. I do recommend playing with it a few times just to get a feel for it before trying to use it to finish down with the Primee. I honestly don’t feel it’s a super big learning curve, but I’d hate for you to have any frustration using it at the end of a long detailing session.

For further info, check out YouTube, Apex Detail and look for his how to use a rotary polisher. I believe Mike Phillips has a video or two on there about the rotary, it’s a couple years old and he’s working on a huge truck.
    Last edited by DMiglio; 08-20-2020 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Add quotes to answer #7 from link
    Alumni Autogeek's first ever Roadshow Detailing Class Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

3. Thanks noorth thanked for this post
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DMiglio View Post
    Test spot. Test spot. Test spot!

That out of the way, you’ve got a great set up of polishes, pads and tools.

As far as white cars goes, it’s technically “easier” and more forgiving to finish because it’ll hide defects better than black. If it’s a metallic/pearl white you’ll have an even easier time.

That said, I’d take more time on the decon/cleaning stage to be sure the clear coat is a clean and “stain free” as possible. Tar remover, iron decon and thorough claying are a must before any polishing begins.

I’m not super familiar with primer unfortunately, I’ve used it once or twice. I know with Essence(Carpro’s primer equivalent) it was recommended to work it in slowly and only one pass.. might start with Primer that way.

7 - Is CarPro Essence super easy to use?

Yes, usually extremely easy! It is but there are always other variables. As always there can be a little learning curve on some paints. IF you run into a paint where it seems to stick a bit then you need to change your pad type and or your machine speed, arm speed, or pressure.

CarPro Essence Definitive Guide Thread

On very soft paints especially (because it sticks to soft paint easier) consider the following method:
    Use a microfiber pad
    Spread super fast on speed 1
    Raise speed to about 3-4 depending on machine
    Using minimal pressure (about a pound + weight of machine) use VERY slow arm movement across the section and go only one single pass.

Finally for some paints, consider faster arm movement with half bites into the section, backing up, and then moving forward to avoid any sticking of product.

As far as the rotary, I’ve only used them a couple times, but recently received a Flex PE8 from Mike Phillips and been playing with that. It’s a mini rotary and let me tell you, smoothest operating polisher I used!

Not loud or harsh, requires minimal pressure and just a light grip to control. I do recommend playing with it a few times just to get a feel for it before trying to use it to finish down with the Primee. I honestly don’t feel it’s a super big learning curve, but I’d hate for you to have any frustration using it at the end of a long detailing session.

For further info, check out YouTube, Apex Detail and look for his how to use a rotary polisher. I believe Mike Phillips has a video or two on there about the rotary, it’s a couple years old and he’s working on a huge truck.
    So what was your experience with using gyeon?

Did you use any extension shafts with the mini?

What kind of mirco fiber pad did you use with essence?

And has anyone used Fireball Ultimate Iron Burn? Apparently you can dilute it down to 33% with water. Its on the way with the mini rotary.

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t know Griots medium orange pads, but if it means medium polishing, then I think using the black pad for Primer is fine. I’ve not used Primer but use Essence often. When using finishing pads for Essence (because Im already happy with the finish and have no need to remove haze from a cutting step), I basically apply it like a liquid sealant with almost no pressure, except I do use a real slow arm movement for that one (or two) pass(es). I don’t know why but there seems to be some gloss benefit from working it a little longer.

Unrelated, if you planned on using Primer for some correction (I think it has abrasives, right), day with a polishing pad or more aggressive, then the strategy would be different.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes primer is a fine finishing polishing, it has abrasives. Griots medium pads are medium cut.

Actually have one urofiber 50/50 i picked up has well.

I'm thinking i won't need to do any correction with primer. I'm no pro, i just want a noticeable turnaround.

7. Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noorth View Post
    So what was your experience with using gyeon?

Did you use any extension shafts with the mini?

What kind of mirco fiber pad did you use with essence?

And has anyone used Fireball Ultimate Iron Burn? Apparently you can dilute it down to 33% with water. Its on the way with the mini rotary.
    Hey Noorth, just realized in my previous post, I was quoting from CarPro Q&A so not all words were mine, if I can I will edit that.. onto your questions.

The Primer was extremely easy to work with, I tried it when it first came out, maybe close to 3 years ago now. There wasn’t as much information on it then which is why I’ve stuck with Essence because at the time there was more info and I was a bit more experienced. Essence can be finicky to wipe off, didn’t notice that with Primer.

It doesn’t require much product, it’s a fine finishing polish so only small dots are needed and only working the usual 2’x2’ section. These don’t need a ton of “working” into the panel, just slow arm speed, light pressure and 1 or 2 passes. Wipe off and done!

Highly recommend reading the Q&A for Essence that I linked if you haven’t yet. I know they’re different but also similar so may give a better understanding of these primer polishes.

I didn’t use any extensions, I’d like to pick some up down the road but for now I’m enjoying learning still and trying to keep the learning curve as low as possible. Again, recommend playing around with it before you use it for your Primer and final polishing step.

I used a Megs Microfiber Finishing Disc, only because I was doing a one step and wanted to see how well it cleaned the paint and any extra gloss I could get from it. Like acuRAS82 said with Essence, he uses a black pad to apply it. This is my recommendation too as the harder compounding work is done, you don’t NEED to work abrasives are this point.

I’ve not used that product sorry, iron remover sounds like? If so and it can be diluted, that sounds like an economical option compared to others.

Again I stress though, practice a bit, use the G15 with ONE and Orange pad, be sure you’re getting the results you want in the compounding step. Practice with that rotary before using it to finish out. I really enjoy using it myself, I don’t expect you to have any troubles either. Just a warning because I also know how hard 2 steps are and trying to learn something new at the end of a big session isn’t the most pleasant process.

Hope this helps!

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DMiglio View Post
    Hey Noorth, just realized in my previous post, I was quoting from CarPro Q&A so not all words were mine, if I can I will edit that.. onto your questions.

The Primer was extremely easy to work with, I tried it when it first came out, maybe close to 3 years ago now. There wasn’t as much information on it then which is why I’ve stuck with Essence because at the time there was more info and I was a bit more experienced. Essence can be finicky to wipe off, didn’t notice that with Primer.

It doesn’t require much product, it’s a fine finishing polish so only small dots are needed and only working the usual 2’x2’ section. These don’t need a ton of “working” into the panel, just slow arm speed, light pressure and 1 or 2 passes. Wipe off and done!

Highly recommend reading the Q&A for Essence that I linked if you haven’t yet. I know they’re different but also similar so may give a better understanding of these primer polishes.

I didn’t use any extensions, I’d like to pick some up down the road but for now I’m enjoying learning still and trying to keep the learning curve as low as possible. Again, recommend playing around with it before you use it for your Primer and final polishing step.

I used a Megs Microfiber Finishing Disc, only because I was doing a one step and wanted to see how well it cleaned the paint and any extra gloss I could get from it. Like acuRAS82 said with Essence, he uses a black pad to apply it. This is my recommendation too as the harder compounding work is done, you don’t NEED to work abrasives are this point.

I’ve not used that product sorry, iron remover sounds like? If so and it can be diluted, that sounds like an economical option compared to others.

Again I stress though, practice a bit, use the G15 with ONE and Orange pad, be sure you’re getting the results you want in the compounding step. Practice with that rotary before using it to finish out. I really enjoy using it myself, I don’t expect you to have any troubles either. Just a warning because I also know how hard 2 steps are and trying to learn something new at the end of a big session isn’t the most pleasant process.

Hope this helps!
    Thanks for all the info DMiglio!

I will look over the essence Q&A.

I won't be doing this all in one day! I take my time and do it in steps. Last car i actually cut the car up in sections and done the whole detail before doing another part of the car IE Front clip, 2 doors at a time etc. I'm in no hurry i have 6 weeks off in 2 weeks. I work on an icebreaker.

Another added bonus is i get to clean out my pads much better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noorth View Post
    Thanks for all the info DMiglio!

I will look over the essence Q&A.

I won't be doing this all in one day! I take my time and do it in steps. Last car i actually cut the car up in sections and done the whole detail before doing another part of the car IE Front clip, 2 doors at a time etc. I'm in no hurry i have 6 weeks off in 2 weeks. I work on an icebreaker.

Another added bonus is i get to clean out my pads much better.
    Oh that’s nice, truly jealous haha! When “on duty” how long are you away? Can’t imagine it’s a typical Monday thru Friday 9-5.

I believe Mike Phillips and Jeff from Gyeon have a few YouTube videos through Autogeek that explain the Gyeon process for Primer, Prep and then CanCoat I think.

Glad to help you.

11. Likes noorth liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

13. Likes noorth liked this post