autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tire Cleaner

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Tire Cleaner

First off, I did use the search and I've been reading and reading but can't find an answer to my specific question. I figured I'd have no problem but I'm coming up empty handed. I"m looking for a good dedicated tire cleaner that is safe for the stock black painted wheels on my Chevy Trail Boss just in case I get some overspray on them. I don't plan on putting any sort of dressing on the tires, I just want a good clean black rubber tire. I'm just worried if I use something too aggressive and I get some on the wheels and it sits on them for a little while I'm scrubbing the tires it could damage them. Right now I'm using Sonax wheel cleaner and I'm really liking that stuff. I appreciate any input you guys can give me.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tire Cleaner

You say you’re not planning on using any tire dressing and just want clean black tires? Then I would recommend you use Mothers Back to Black Tire Cleaner. It’s one of the few tire cleaners that’s not overly aggressive like most tire cleaners that can cause tires to bloom after cleaning them.

Instead you’re left with a natural clean black tire. This tire cleaner can even be used as a waterless tire cleaner. Simply spray on, wait 15 seconds, and wipe off with a towel and you’re done. Really works that fast.

Mothers Back to Black Tire Cleaner

I can’t 100% guarantee that it’ll be safe if it gets on those wheels, but I don’t see why it would cause a problem.

3. Thanks Thomkirby thanked for this post
    Likes 57Rambler, MadMerc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

^ interesting product, I think I may give it a shot as well.
    2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
    1999 Camaro Z28

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JDGolden View Post
    ^ interesting product, I think I may give it a shot as well.
    It works so good as a rubber cleaner that I mainly use it for cleaning rubber matts. APC can clean them... But this stuff not only cleans them, but leaves them deep dark black. In 15 seconds too!

Post Thanks / Like

I’m a fan of Mothers, there stuff is usually pretty safe. I would maybe try a little section and keep it away from rims if possible.
    My goal in life is to love God, family and myself. To love others and treat others right.

Post Thanks / Like

'Cause there's just something women like about a pickup man.
    Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    You say you’re not planning on using any tire dressing and just want clean black tires? Then I would recommend you use Mothers Back to Black Tire Cleaner. It’s one of the few tire cleaners that’s not overly aggressive like most tire cleaners that can cause tires to bloom after cleaning them.

Instead you’re left with a natural clean black tire. This tire cleaner can even be used as a waterless tire cleaner. Simply spray on, wait 15 seconds, and wipe off with a towel and you’re done. Really works that fast.

I use this stuff too, works great. My only suggestion is to use old rags/towels for the wipe off as they get really filthy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 57Rambler View Post
    I use this stuff too, works great. My only suggestion is to use old rags/towels for the wipe off as they get really filthy.
    Yea that’s the main reason it’s not my go to for tires and that bottle lasts me quite a while... Everyones different when it comes to their towels and also their needs. I have a hard time sacrificing even my oldest/cheapest towels I guess. Lol

10. Likes PaulMys, mwoywod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Yea that’s the main reason it’s not my go to for tires and that bottle lasts me quite a while... Everyones different when it comes to their towels and also their needs. I have a hard time sacrificing even my oldest/cheapest towels I guess. Lol
    I actually buy my "sacrificial" towels/rags. They are old repurposed and cleaned pieces of T-shirts and come in weighted quantities - 1 lb., 5 lb., 10 lb. I get the 10 lb. box for around $15-20 (depends on whether you want all white or mixed color) through an industrial supply company. Prices really vary though ... HD, Lowes, Grainger sell the same 10 lb. box for up to $30 or more.

Besides using these for grungy car detailing tasks I also use them for my furniture refinishing work, painting cleanup, polishing jobs, etc. Then just pitch them.

12. Likes PaulMys, Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 57Rambler View Post
    I actually buy my "sacrificial" towels/rags. They are old repurposed and cleaned pieces of T-shirts and come in weighted quantities - 1 lb., 5 lb., 10 lb. I get the 10 lb. box for around $15-20 (depends on whether you want all white or mixed color) through an industrial supply company. Prices really vary though ... HD, Lowes, Grainger sell the same 10 lb. box for up to $30 or more.

Besides using these for grungy car detailing tasks I also use them for my furniture refinishing work, painting cleanup, polishing jobs, etc. Then just pitch them.
    That sounds like a great idea.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast