autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Advice on wear to detail

I am a newbie , watching vids and reading and deciding which da polisher to get . I’m in Canada so whatever I see posted for shipping add 40% exchange 13x% tax plus duty but like the gariot garage 6 inch or 3 inch . Light

anyway here is my question . Where I live I get the sun on my lane way from 9 am till about 6 30 or 7. My garage is to small to park my suv and can’t start too early as the noise is too loud in morning . I am guessing to do a polish I would wash , claybar then attempt to polish . How long would it take for a first time and do I need to wax right after . Also any suggestions when there is no real time to do this unless in direct sunlight

thanks . Gets dark around 825

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Advice on wear to detail

I would break it up over multiple days. I have a workable garage, but often the temps are too high and it is hard on me/the products I'm trying to use.

I'll start by doing the wash and clay in the evening of day 1 as the temperatures cool and the sun starts going down. I'll get up early the morning of day 2 and polish/apply the LSP before it gets too hot.

Depending on how much work needs to be done and your schedule, you could break it up into mornings and evenings when it's cooler and the sun is less intense. Do something in the morning and then let everything sit until the evening and then keep working until too dark. Pick it back up in the morning the next day. Schedule for polishing in the evenings if it is too loud for your neighbors.

If you are letting things sit overnight and the vehicles is outdoors, I would do a wipe down with a QD or waterless wash to remove any dust or pollen which might settle on the car while it sits. Also, if you have some work lights you can use them to extend your working time much later into the evening after it gets dark.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

3. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

When I was reading and saw next morning I thought , in the morning my car always has pollen or another fine layer or a greenish yellowing dust on it. Thanks I thought everything had to be done at one time . Wash and clay say Friday night then Saturday night do a waterless wash and then polish . Not sure if time to wax after might need another night.

thsnks and how long would it probably take for a first time polish with a 6 inch D A polisher

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone is different and the size/condition of the vehicle can greatly effect time.

I recently did my neighbors Cayenne. It was in rather rough shape from the previous owner and it took me around 12 hours start to finish. Most of that time was on the polishing.

"Waxing" or applying any sealant can be pretty quick if you use your DA to apply the LSP and then buff it off by hand. On that Cayenne using the new Woflgang SiO2 sealant, it was the fastest step in the entire process and took me about an hour to apply, let it dry and then buff off.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Nate gave some great advice.

As you are in Canada, your sun problems will begin to go away in pretty short order as the year grows older.

I washed, clayed, polished, and applied LSP over the 3 days of my July 4th weekend.

I had to wait until 7:30pm for the sun to go down enough to wash that first night. (July 2nd).

Today, I could start washing at 6:30. The sun is rapidly heading south, so that should help you.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.