autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

New guy trying to decide what to use for winter prep and ongoing maint

Hi,

So I live in Minnesota and am thinking forward to fall and my car prep. I'm a HPDE/shade tree mechanic guy with very limited detailing knowledge... as in I understand and use the two bucket method and recently due to having some time on my hands I've seen a bunch of youtube detailing vids!

Car is a dark blue 2006 Audi A4 wagon that sits outside all the time. Before I bought it a couple of years ago it had lived in CO/CA so it's low rust for MN but had some sun damage to the clearcoat. Hood was resprayed when I bought it due to clear coat failure in a couple of spots, recently started having problems on part of the roof so I just had a detailer use an AIO on the car and had the roof wrapped in gloss black vinyl.

I don't want to get into using a DA polisher (yet), but I am interested in what I can do to help maintain the car between visits to the detailer (let's say annual visits in late spring).

My first thought was to use TWHS AIO in the spring myself (but now I'm leaning towards just letting a pro use an AIO in the spring), and then maintain that by using the TWHS wet wax as a drying aid and applying TWHS ceramic spray as needed.

But, as one does, I kinda went down the rabbit hole of these forums and started wondering if there was a reasonably easy to use product I could apply that would last longer, specifically in the Fall with the hope of making it through winter. I don't have a heated garage, so I can't hand wash in winter (well, I could go to a self wash place occasionally, I suppose). Mostly in the winter I will use gas station touchless washes with the cheapest option that still includes a dry cycle. I can't say how often I will do that, but it is definitely significantly less often than weekly.

Gyeon Can Coat seems like a good option for what I'm looking for, but also seems like I should really do some light polishing before application so that's out for now.

Then I was thinking Sonax PNS. Seems like it might be as long lasting as you are going to get short of a coating, and it looks like I can apply effectively after just a chemical decon and a good wash. If there happens to be some of the AIO left from the last pro detailing, doesn't seem like that would be a problem. During the summer I could maintain with BSD and apply the PNS in the fall right before winter. Perhaps I could go to a self wash place once or twice a winter to apply some BSD.

Lastly, I was wondering, will the PNS last longer than say Blackfire SiO2 spray sealant (or for that matter the TWHS)? If not, perhaps that would be a better/as good solution?

I appreciate any thoughts on the above options or different ones, once I narrow it down I plan to order the selected products and some supporting goodies from AutoGeek (microfiber, soap, etc) to get me started. Can it be delivered in a plain box that doesn't mention cars so my wife doesn't roll her eyes?

Thanks!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

New guy trying to decide what to use for winter prep and ongoing maint

Ok, I hope this isn't a re-post, but I can't find what I THOUGHT i posted a few hours ago. So here is a new short version:

I live in Minneapolis, car is a dark blue 2006 Audi wagon with black gloss vinyl just installed on roof (due to some clearcoat failure likely related to the fact the car came from Colorado before I purchased a couple of years ago). Car only drives 3-4000 miles/yr but sits outside all the time.

Looking to develop a plan to keep the paint protected, particularly in the winter. I don't have access to a place to wash in winter, although I could go to a self wash location occasionally I suppose. Car was just professionally detailed with an AIO product of some sort.

I don't think I want to take the time to buy and learn how to use a polisher quite yet. So I'm thinking the car will see the pro detailer every spring to make it look good decent (AIO polish).What I'm looking for is what to use to keep it going the rest of the year, particularly in fall to prepare for winter since I won't be able to put anything substantial on it from say early November until April.
    Winter cleaning will most likely just be an occasional gas station touchless wash with the cheapest wash that includes drying.

Geyon Can Coat seems to be what I would want, except I don't want to do any polishing to prep.

That leads me to Sonax PNS, which it seems I could apply in the Fall myself after a good wash and chemical decon? Perhaps once or twice during the winter go to a self wash and apply some BSD, which I could also use during the summer to maintain whatever the detailer put on (perhaps coat with PNS myself in the spring after the detailer works on it too?).

Or would Blackfire Si02 Spray Sealant or TWHS Spray Coating last just as long as PNS? In which case would that make more sense? I get the feeling PNS lasts longer than either of those used alone though?

I appreciate any suggestions (including options unrelated to what I am thinking above),
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New guy trying to decide what to use for winter prep and ongoing maint

What’s your plan for chemical decon? Iron-X and some sort of heavy cleaner?

If so, and if you think the professional AIO was stripped by November (most AIOs I know would be) and with aide from this decon, then CanCoat should indeed be an option. As long as you think the surface is free of the previous LSP and you’ve cleared off grime & external contamination, I think you can do an IPA wipe down (or prep spray/prep wash) and Cancoat would do fine.

Or PNS should be fine without the IPA/prep wipe.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply...
    Yes, I was thinking an iron remover and a more aggressive car soap (chemical guys clean slate, dp prep wash, or similar). I think I discounted using Can Coat because I wasn't sure that would actually strip the previous AIO, but I think I based that on some youtube clips where they were trying that on freshly applied sealant and it didn't work, but as you say after a few months the AIO should be mostly gone anyway.

So to use Can Coat do you think I should do the clean slate and then follow up with a CarPro Eraser or Gyeon Q2M prep? That seems doable. Would that be enough even if I had been maintaining more recently with something like BSD or TWHS Spray Coat?

And the Can Coat probably has the best chance of surviving the automatic touchless washes over the winter season...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mnAudi View Post
    Thanks for the reply...
    Yes, I was thinking an iron remover and a more aggressive car soap (chemical guys clean slate, dp prep wash, or similar). I think I discounted using Can Coat because I wasn't sure that would actually strip the previous AIO, but I think I based that on some youtube clips where they were trying that on freshly applied sealant and it didn't work, but as you say after a few months the AIO should be mostly gone anyway.

So to use Can Coat do you think I should do the clean slate and then follow up with a CarPro Eraser or Gyeon Q2M prep? That seems doable. Would that be enough even if I had been maintaining more recently with something like BSD or TWHS Spray Coat?

And the Can Coat probably has the best chance of surviving the automatic touchless washes over the winter season...
    Things get a little iffy when you add in using BSD or TW HS Spray Coating. Those aside, I’m confident that Clean Slate or DP Prep Wash will remove old LSP. In theory you shouldn’t need to even use Eraser/prep spray after these prep washes, but it doesn’t hurt to be conservative and use them anyways.

As far as the toppers, I would stop using those in September or so and monitor beading. Once beading starts to get poor, try feeling the paint to see if it feels well protected anymore. I don’t want you to run with no protection for too long before you Cancoat in November, but we don’t want enough BSD / TW protection remaining that your prep can’t remove it all.

Anyways, long story short, come November, do your last few washes with prep wash and see if the paint feels squeaky clean right after and days later. If so, you’ve probably removed enough of all LSPs. Then do a final prep wash after Iron-X and Eraser right before applying.

Lol, sorry I’m working late, loaded on coffee, rambling. But I think you get my point.

Cancoat will indeed handle touch less washes Bette I think but PNS is no slouch. Not sure PNS will get you to April though.

Mike Phillips

Ok, I hope this isn't a re-post, but I can't find what I THOUGHT i posted a few hours ago. So here is a new short version:

Apologies because I'm not sure why, but your first post was flagged to be "Moderated". I've looked at it and don't see anything that would cause it to be flagged?

Regardless, I "approved" it and then merged it into this thread. Because you posted it first, it is now at the tops as post merging places post in chronological order.

Again, sorry for the delay in your first post showing up, I do participate on the forum after hours but I don't always check on the "Moderation Queue". Sometimes I do, but not always.

So with the above all said,

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

Mike Phillips

That leads me to Sonax PNS, which it seems I could apply in the Fall myself after a good wash and chemical decon?

Perhaps once or twice during the winter go to a self wash and apply some BSD, which I could also use during the summer to maintain whatever the detailer put on (perhaps coat with PNS myself in the spring after the detailer works on it too?).

The SONAX Polymer Net Shield or PNS is a very stout performer. I always tell people it's a tick sticky to wipe off but this is not a problem as long as you only apply and then wipe-off to a small section at a time.

Nice product.

The SONAX Brilliant Shine Detailer is also a very stout product. It can be used as a spray detailer but also provides good protection and shine.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    The SONAX Polymer Net Shield or PNS is a very stout performer. I always tell people it's a tick sticky to wipe off but this is not a problem as long as you only apply and then wipe-off to a small section at a time.

Nice product.

The SONAX Brilliant Shine Detailer is also a very stout product. It can be used as a spray detailer but also provides good protection and shine.

Well, I'm glad my post got flagged as opposed to me being to dumb to know how to use a web forum!

Sounds like either the Can Coat or PNS would be a good choice for me, perhaps I should flip a coin? To me it seems like the PNS is probably more forgiving of not having prepped the paint as well and more flexible in that it could be applied over the AIO, but the Can Coat would reward prepping the paint (as described above) with somewhat more durability?

Thanks!
    Erik

Post Thanks / Like

^^You summarized my opinion pretty well above.

10. Thanks mnAudi thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Collinite products are also great for winter protection. I’ve used both 845 and 476 with great results in Michigan winters. I use 476 on my inline sled trailer every year. It takes a little more effort to remove, but it holds up amazingly well.

12. Likes acuRAS82, mnAudi liked this post