autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hand sanitizer on tree sap... now what?

Last weekend I used Sonax BSD as an experiment for a 'detailer' on my sons car after parking under a honey locust tree.

It cut through the little bumps effortlessly. I was somewhat surprised with the results.
    The car is my test bed for a minute before we polish it.

Post Thanks / Like

Hand sanitizer on tree sap... now what?

I go with Mike’s suggestions. Never use something on your vehicle that wasn’t designed for your vehicle.

Secondly never aggressively go at something if you don’t know the outcome.

Yesterday there was a series of stringy gummy things of tar or some foreign substance on my coated mustang. It may have been tar, it may have been chewing gum for all I know.

I grabbed an MF and lightly saturated a spot on the towel about the size of my finger tip with tarminator. A product I’ve used dozens and dozens of times on all different cars. I gingerly spread it on the foreign substance, applying no pressure, and the substance loosened.

I then went over it with another MF, loads of ONR, then another MF and QD. I had to do this in about 4 locations. No issues, no scratches, coating and clear intact.

Don’t go by wives tales, use tried and true products. You may need to just lightly polish that spot with an AIO as Mike suggests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AutowerxDetailing View Post
    Denatured alcohol works significantly better than isopropyl alcohol to remove almost any kind of tree sap.
    Interesting. I'll have to try that.

Is that because of chemical composition or because of alcohol concentration levels?

Post Thanks / Like

Denatured alcohol and isopropyl alcohol are the same thing aside from additives added to the alcohol to make it toxic to drink. Please don’t drink Isopropyl alcohol either but the base for denatured alcohol could be fit for “drinking” before it’s denatured. Bottom line is for cleaning purposes alcohol is alcohol depending on concentration/purity.

5. Thanks FUNX650 thanked for this post
    Likes WillSports3 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with you 100 percent Paul. Never use the most aggressive method. For example in Interiors, I 99 percent of the time don't use APC. My favourite cleaner of choice is McKee 37 Rinseless wash in an IK foamer at a 1:65 dilution ratio and a soft brush. Let dwell for a minute or two then agitate.

Quote Originally Posted by LSNAutoDetailing View Post
    I go with Mike’s suggestions. Never use something on your vehicle that wasn’t designed for your vehicle.

Secondly never aggressively go at something if you don’t know the outcome.

Yesterday there was a series of stringy gummy things of tar or some foreign substance on my coated mustang. It may have been tar, it may have been chewing gum for all I know.

I grabbed an MF and lightly saturated a spot on the towel about the size of my finger tip with tarminator. A product I’ve used dozens and dozens of times on all different cars. I gingerly spread it on the foreign substance, applying no pressure, and the substance loosened.

I then went over it with another MF, loads of ONR, then another MF and QD. I had to do this in about 4 locations. No issues, no scratches, coating and clear intact.

Don’t go by wives tales, use tried and true products. You may need to just lightly polish that spot with an AIO as Mike suggests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12