autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WGDGPS/Fuzion observation.

Someone needs to do a coating test against bird bombs ( maybe some prepackaged stuff). I have 5 cars with 4 different coatings and I must say the ceramic coatings ( Blackfire, Exo4) have held up better to bird bombs compared to PNS and WGDGS (Collinite faired pretty good)
    2022 Carrera S & Honda CRV Hybrid
    2015 Lexus IS 350, 2016 Ford F-150
    Cobalt 242 (8.1 L block, Volvo outdrive)

Post Thanks / Like

I've had bird paint (Here in mild mannered Canada) sit on Cquartz UK, Glosscoat, Kamikaze miyabi, GTechniq CSL for around a week in the sun, and had no issues. Just washed it off. PBL Synergy did pretty well against bird bombs too. I think it's a chemical reaction between the acid of the bird bomb and the polymers of most sealants. Carnauba on its own is already slightly acidic anyway. Most coatings are non-reactive to bird bombs.

Sorry Paul, but the SiO2 bandwagon has some merit :P
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

3. Thanks PaulMys thanked for this post
    Likes DMiglio liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is quite an interesting topic. I wonder if it’s a YMMV situation as I’ve read countless differing stories about bird bombs, water spot etching, staining etc from all different forms and levels of protection. Just how would we test something like this and is it like many things, down to location and climate being a determine factor?
    Alumni Autogeek's first ever Roadshow Detailing Class Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

Post Thanks / Like

Depends on the level of confidence you have in your LSP. Also how you play around with the chemistry of LSP. Best way is to just let a bird blast your car and leave it there for however long and see.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Post Thanks / Like

WGDGPS/Fuzion observation.

Last summer I had Angelwax Enigma on my Corvette as the LSP.

We went for a Sunday cruise with some other car friends and stopped at a little small town tavern for breakfast. When I returned to the car, there was a large bird doo doo on the front clip. I did not have any microfiber towels or wash liquids with me. It was a hot sunny summer day. “It should be okay for a few hours” I thought, as after all I had a decent form of fresh LSP on the car.

That evening when I got home I cleaned off the poop and went to bed.

The next morning I noticed the massive etching that the s@?t left on my front end. I was a bit miffed as I thought the ceramic protection would keep it protected... NOT.

No worries, I have polish and several DA’s so it should be a fairly easy fix. Well, long story short - I ended up having to compound the etching with Griots FCC and a Boss Microfiber Pad. I’m still not completely satisfied with the results, but I’m not going to chase perfection at the expense of my clear coat.

My only point is I guess the acidity in certain bird doo doo is really destructive no matter what type of protection you have on your car.

Oh, and maybe keep an emergency cleaning kit in your Corvette in case this happens again, instead of an assortment of can, bottle, and solo cup insulated koozies to be prepared for however your beer might be served to you. WGDGPS/Fuzion observation.
    ​Al Schmidt
    "Adventure, is a car called Riviera..."

7. Likes DMiglio, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Angelwax Enigma is as ceramic as cooking spray. Yes it technically contains siloxanes, but it's mostly wax so I wouldn't count it as a ceramic protection.
    A true ceramic product won't have the same reaction to bird bombs as Enigma.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WillSports3 View Post
    Angelwax Enigma is as ceramic as cooking spray.
    Whoa, that seems a bit harsh.

Pinnacle Synergy was mentioned earlier in this thread as offering good protection. I wonder if that is also just a “ceramic cooking spray?”

No bother though, I have Kamikaze Zipang sandwiching a layer of Kamikaze Miyabi Coat on the Corvette now, so I feel like I have some of the best protection currently available on the DIY market (until the Graphene product marketing convinces all of us that sio2 products are far inferior).
    ​Al Schmidt

10. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No, it's not really harsh to be honest. Most products used in "ceramic" products are polydimethysiloxane. Or PDMS. PDMS is also used in cooking spray to provide the hydrophobic water beading and to prevent foaming. No bonding agent so when you wash it off.. it's gone. Pinnacle Synergy has a different chemical composition, and has a strong enough solvent to emulsify the wax and the siloxane components together for an actual bond. Also requires curing time after application for the siloxane to bond.

Angelwax Enigma doesn't require a cure time involved. Meaning that there isn't a strong bonding agent nor is there a high enough concentration of siloxanes. It's mostly just wax with some minor additives.

Graphene coatings are a whole different category of hilarity. If you got a good solid SiO2 coating on your car.. graphene coatings might be half a step ahead. Maybe. Graphene coatings are just ceramic coatings with graphene additives.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

12. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

^^Interesting^^

Apologies to the OP for kind of derailing the thread.

I haven’t used WDGPS for years now, but I love using Fuzion wax on one of my show Riviera’s. Nothing looks better. Doubt it would protect long against acidic bird WGDGPS/Fuzion observation. though.

No one has mentioned FK1000P yet. For a polymer sealant it is very protective. Maybe better than a combo of WDGPS + Fuzion?
    ​Al Schmidt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerRivFan View Post
    Last summer I had Angelwax Enigma on my Corvette as the LSP.

We went for a Sunday cruise with some other car friends and stopped at a little small town tavern for breakfast. When I returned to the car, there was a large bird doo doo on the front clip. I did not have any microfiber towels or wash liquids with me. It was a hot sunny summer day. “It should be okay for a few hours” I thought, as after all I had a decent form of fresh LSP on the car.

That evening when I got home I cleaned off the poop and went to bed.

The next morning I noticed the massive etching that the s@?t left on my front end. I was a bit miffed as I thought the ceramic protection would keep it protected... NOT.

No worries, I have polish and several DA’s so it should be a fairly easy fix. Well, long story short - I ended up having to compound the etching with Griots FCC and a Boss Microfiber Pad. I’m still not completely satisfied with the results, but I’m not going to chase perfection at the expense of my clear coat.
    I had a spot etching on Enigma Wax as well. On vacation visiting family and didn’t have QD/towels either.

Post 14 below outlines where this happened and since that time after another full correction I can still see the etching barely in certain lighting. Still pisses me off though. I liked the look of Enigma Wax and the up front performance (Pam or not). But failed me with a bird bomb even though it did sit in the hot sun for awhile.

2015 BMW X5 M Exterior - Pinnacle correction and Angelwax protection

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast