autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Is there a sealant like product for black plastic. Rear truck bumpers, running boards, etc.

So having my truck all washed and sealed and looking great. It's been a dry and dusty time and then it rained. My whole truck looked great after the rain storm went through except the black plastic rear bumper step area.

All the water runs out of the back of the bed of the truck taking all the dust and dirt with it and runs down on to the step for the back of the truck. There it pools into little dirty mud puddles that dry and leave just dirt behind. I was contemplating this while going to lunch and I started looking around. This is a common problem everywhere. Every pick up truck I seen had this dirty black plastic step above the bumper. I also noticed it on several minivans, and SUV's. That back bumper they put a black plastic step on them and the water runs down and collects there. I also have black plastic running boards as well which does collect dirt and grime as well.

So I was thinking, there is sealant for paint, rims, even stuff to keep your tires looking black and clean. Is there any such thing for the black plastic bumpers and running boards? I guess the problem is you don't want these slippery as they are a step. But something to help push the dirt and grime away? Or any thoughts on keeping this area clean and shiny.

A quick google image search to show you the rear truck bumpers, the flat step part under the tail gate is what I am talking about. Also it affects the license plate area as that is just flat black plastic as well.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=truc...k+rear+bumpers

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is there a sealant like product for black plastic. Rear truck bumpers, running boards, etc.

There are coating products for trim such as CarPro Dlux, and an excellent trim sealant product from Wolfgang that would likely meet your needs...

Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant, rubber trim sealant, rubber protectant, exterior trim products, metal sealer
    ​Al Schmidt
    "Adventure, is a car called Riviera..."

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is there a sealant like product for black plastic. Rear truck bumpers, running boards, etc.

I use Meguiar's Ultimate Black Trim Restorer for exactly what you are talking about. And coincidently, I'm heading out to my garage to do just that right now.

Post Thanks / Like

Gyeon Trim is nice for black plastic, Gyeon Rim works well on wheels and TuffShine Tire Clearcoat is great on tires. All give some serious longevity and consistent good looks. Once and done for about a year in my experience.

Have used both WG and Blackfire but the longevity just isn't there compared to a true coating. Coating Rims and Tires is a real time saver, even more so than a paint coating as far as maintenance washes go. Once coated, just a spray with a hose and a light wipedown/dry (with a towel that comes out clean) and back to fresh looking. No need for nasty wheel brushes, towels and applicators or chemicals.

5. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

DLUX from Carpro
    2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all I knew there had to be something. I am going to try the Wolfgang right now. I already had it in my cart for an entirely different reason, I just changed to an 8oz bottle and will give it a go.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    I use Meguiar's Ultimate Black Trim Restorer for exactly what you are talking about. And coincidently, I'm heading out to my garage to do just that right now.
    Is Meguiar's Ultimate Black Trim Restorer the same as Ultimate Black Plastic Restorer ?

I see both a Plastic Restorer (G16910) in an aerosol can, and also a Plastic Restorer (G15812) in a squeeze bottle? But the only Trim Restorer I could find was a 2-pack of sponges.

What is the difference between these products and which one do you use? I noticed the squeeze bottle at $6 was several dollars cheaper than the aerosol can at $8, and a two-pack of the sponges was $3.

Are these all the same product, just different delivery/application methods?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mengelhardt View Post
    Is Meguiar's Ultimate Black Trim Restorer the same as Ultimate Black Plastic Restorer ?

I see both a Plastic Restorer (G16910) in an aerosol can, and also a Plastic Restorer (G15812) in a squeeze bottle? But the only Trim Restorer I could find was a 2-pack of sponges.

What is the difference between these products and which one do you use? I noticed the squeeze bottle at $6 was several dollars cheaper than the aerosol can at $8, and a two-pack of the sponges was $3.

Are these all the same product, just different delivery/application methods?
    You'd have to call Meguiar's to inquire about the differences between the products. I don't know. I've used primarily the bottle version but just recently tried the sponges. These two seem very similar to me although the sponge version may have a little more liquidity to it than the cream/paste from the bottle. I've never used the spray version.

Post Thanks / Like

Recently started using PERL. I love it! Easy on. The plastic looks brand new.

Post Thanks / Like

I still like Poor Boys Trim Restorer.
    2017 Shelby GT350, 2017 Dodge Charger Scat Pack, 2016 Focus RS.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast