autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

*meh* experience with old school PC 7424

...and I do mean old school. I resurrected this thing for the first time in 10 years, which I purchased in 2005 or thereabouts.

I was using the machine on speed 3 or 3.5. It felt as if it would get bogged down so easily and not freely rotate. The only reason I figured this out is because I drew a couple of black lines on the backing plate so I could see what was happening. I felt as if I had to just barely float the pad on the surface in order for it to oscillate properly. I suppose this was ok on flatter panels, but on edges or creases? Forget it.

I learned some tough lessons yesterday. Firstly, I underestimated the value of proper lighting for checking work. My snow white pearl paint was EXTREMELY difficult to examine without proper lighting, which I didn't have. It hides imperfections so well, which is great, but I wasn't able to easily monitor my progress. Second, I found the PC to be on the heavier side and I am out of detail shape, so I'm really feeling the effects today.

And thirdly...is this a "slow" machine? I feel as if I needed to move this thing at such a snails pace, and it took me much longer than expected to go around the car.

It was an enjoyable day and I'm looking forward to greatly expanding my arsenal of tools and products, but I don't think the PC will cut it for me going forward.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: *meh* experience with old school PC 7424

If you're compounding or polishing speed 6 should give you a much better experience.

Mike Phillips

The last update to the PC was in 2009. This latest version is as reliable as rain. Sure it doesn't have the power of the BEAST but there are times when the right tool for the job is an 8mm short stroke random orbital polisher.

I'll always have one in my tool collection.

You would like the updated version better than the 2005 version you have. And like mentioned - you need to be on speed 6 to do any substantial paint correction.

Also - pad size and thickness are HUGE considerations. You want a 5" backing plate and thin foam pads or microfiber pads.

Post Thanks / Like

In addition to Mike's post, use the Lake Country "THIN" pads in 5" size. They will spin better.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, great info. I can't believe I didn't consider a higher speed.

Post Thanks / Like

I still use my PC7424XP as my mini DA and Sealant/Wax Applicator. It was my 1st DA. LOVE IT! As for reliability, it's a tank and keeps on running! I did have to repair my Flex 3401 XP (my fault from dropping it many times).

But now I use my Flex most of the time for correcting and polishing, however, I use the PC for the other stuff. Either way, If I had to use the PC for compound and polish I use speed setting 5. So far So good!

KEEP ON ROCKING!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

7. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Porter Cable is honestly not a bad machine. It was my first polisher as well, I bought it from an autogeek reseller in Canada, and got a kit with the polisher, and like 6 pads or so. I bought a bunch of other LC flat pads and off I went.
    My first time polishing, well, I figured I can't do worse than what the dealership did so.. off I go. You do need it on speed 6 though, and I put as much pressure on it as the rotation will allow.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Post Thanks / Like

Bummed that I didn't go higher with the speed. When I first purchased the PC back then I would polish my new car which in retrospect didn't need any correction. So I must have kept on a medium speed. I can't wait to try it again with thinner pads. I just coated the car so the remaining deeper swirls (they're not bad) will have to be locked in for now LOL

Post Thanks / Like

I’m surprised you got any rotation at that speed

11. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vobro View Post
    I’m surprised you got any rotation at that speed
    I am as well.

The PC was my first machine as well. Speed 6 is the only option for any correction, and it will take longer (more passes).

That said, the PC is "The little Engine that could".

A tank of a machine as far as reliability, and a perfect entry machine for a hobbyist.

If anyone reading this just wants to remove light/medium swirls from their "Baby" or "Prized" ride, the PC is a great and affordable machine.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

13. Likes Jimmy Vegas liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast