autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Would you use these towels again?

I wash in warm water, not the hottest setting. And I dry on low heat. I used to hang them to dry but just takes too much space and time to be completely dry, in the dryer, low heat, less than 1 hour and it's dry and ready to store. Never had issues with the towels. I use Microrestore but previously used All Free and Clear and that was fine too.
    Bruno Soares

2. Thanks SixZee thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Would you use these towels again?

Quote Originally Posted by evo77 View Post
    Eldorado2K,

Just curious, why do you recommend against air dry?
    The reason I’m against air drying is because when I used to do it I noticed that the towels would dry a bit crispy/leaving the fibers less soft. I see a noticeable difference when the towels are dried in the dryer. They come out softer.. Maybe it does have something to do with residual fabric softener, I dunno.

As far as the linting, I’ve never experienced linting with my dryer. I’m pretty anal about the lint trap being cleaned after every load no matter what it is.

For the record: My brother once thought he would do me a favor and through a whole load of microfibers in the dryer for me on high heat with 2 fabric softener sheets, for a full 60min... I was so frustrated that I was set on throwing them straight in the garbage just to show him how disappointed I was..

However as I got a close look and feel of the towels I couldn’t find anything wrong with them. They even worked fine when I put them to the test. Those same towels are my 3rd batch of Kirklands, which I still use today. They survived just fine.

4. Thanks SixZee, Route246 thanked for this post
    Likes oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Since everyone regards Kirklands as “disposable” towels... I challenge anyone who has a batch to dry them on high heat and add a fabric softener sheet and post their results. Based on my experience the whole thing is damn near a myth!

Post Thanks / Like

I’m willing to take 1 for the team. So today I’m going to wash this batch of microfibers in hot water and dry them on high heat with a fabric softener sheet. I’ll even toss in 1 of my perfectly good PFM towels in the mix. Lets see what happens.

I’ll post the complete facts. You have my word.

7. Thanks SixZee thanked for this post
    Likes Bruno Soares, MAXBKS liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I’m willing to take 1 for the team. So today I’m going to wash this batch of microfibers in hot water and dry them on high heat with a fabric softener sheet. I’ll even toss in 1 of my perfectly good PFM towels in the mix. Lets see what happens.

I’ll post the complete facts. You have my word.
    The label says it all. Do not wash using water at more than 40 celcius or 105 F. That means warm and not hot water as normal household hot water exceed 105F. Dry at low temp.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I’ll even toss in 1 of my perfectly good PFM towels in the mix. Lets see what happens.
    It's interesting to note that Griot's themselves recommend using a hot water wash for their MF towels.

That said, everyone's definition of hot water may differ depending on their hot water heater setting. I've seen some people set their thermostat to as high as 140 F ... not good.

Post Thanks / Like

wash in warm water with an extra rinse cycle, and then dry on the lowest heat setting with dryer balls (i snap each towel out before putting them into the dryer). been doing that for years with no problems...

Post Thanks / Like

•Of course I’d use those towels again.
    -And again; and again.

•Stained towels are not bad towels.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

12. Likes SixZee, oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    •Of course I’d use those towels again.
    -And again; and again.

•Stained towels are not bad towels.

Bob
    Here, here!

This is why all of my towels are black.

Just one less worry.......
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

14. Likes FUNX650, SixZee liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Update: So I went ahead and washed microfiber towels.. 1st I washed my batch of wash mitts and drying towels as usual because I wanted to get temperature readings for a normL wash/dry cycle. The results are as follows:

Water temperature for Hot water setting = 114 degrees

I like to turn the water to the warm setting for a bit when I add the detergent because it shoots out stonger and creates better suds.
    Temperature for Warm water setting = 94 degrees

Next is the temperature I got within a second of opening the dryer after towels had been drying on Low heat for approximately 40min.
    Low heat dryer = 135 degrees [this number drops fast within seconds of the door opening]

Next wash load was the test load in Hot water / High Heat Dry Cycle. Wash...

Time for the dryer. High Heat Cycle. 40min.

New dryer sheet. Check.

PFM towel, inside. High Heat. Lets rock.

Within a second of opening the dryer after 40min. I got a temperature of 147 degrees. It changed to 144 degrees in the split second before I snapped this picture.
    Official High Heat Dry Cycle Temperature = 144 degrees

Here’s the PFM Towel after drying in high heat with a dryer sheet. IMO it looks and feels better than ever. Super Soft.

Now it’s time to do a waterless wash and find out the truth. Has the towel been adversely affected by the high heat + dryer sheet? Can it still dry like it once did? Or has it been ruined?

It actually worked absolutely perfectly. Dare I say better than before, because for a bit my PFMs were seeing slightly diminished results from using alot of hydrophobic drying aids.

I used No drying aid during this test.

Completely done with the waterless wash.

Final conclusion. I used nearly an entire 1.5 liters of WW and not only did the towel do the job, but it actually exceeded expectations...

So much so that just to prove a point of how great it worked I dried the entire vehicle with only 1 side of the towel. How bout that for a towel that according to the gospel should’ve been ruined? Lmao.

I feel like I should re write the Detailing Bible right about now.Would you use these towels again?
    I might just continue using dryer sheets just to cement this proof forever. Lol.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast